Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 04:47:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 1000 DS build  (Read 24776 times)
buzzer

« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2024, 10:46:35 AM »

Hey, maybe it works, it just goes against my training. I suspect a lot of it depends on handling, and timing.

Its interesting...  I was telling the guy who supplies the automotive paints I use about Cerakote...  he asked me to take some in, which I did, along with an engine case I had done, and the water pump test piece.  He didn't recognise the smell of the Cerakote base and went onto the net to look at the data sheets...  He said to be careful using it and to always wear a mask!

he was shocked at how well it adhered to the alloy water pump, and tried to scratch it...  he was impressed, and even more so when he did a few solvent tests! They manufacture paints an lacquers on the premises, he is an ex ICI chemist and knows his stuff.  I was there over an hour and got a right Boxxxloking as my wife was in the car waiting for me! Roll Eyes
buzzer

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:31 AM »

scratching around for jobs to do at the moment as the frame is still at the powder coaters… fingers crossed he has promised it for tomorrow… we will see. Today I made an adaptor to fit a foam filter on the FCR carb…

buzzer

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2024, 09:32:23 AM »

Well it looks like there will be another delay.  bang head bang head The company I have used for many years for powder coating has messed me around for a month now, lots of broken promises, which resulted in me going over this morning and fetching it all back.  Some of it is done, but not up to the usual standard, and the frame has just been blasted. Still charged me the price as if it was all done. Didn’t argue, just walked away.

So, I managed to match the paint colour and will do the frame in 2K which in many ways will be better.
buzzer

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2024, 06:39:50 AM »

for years I have had frames powder coated...  the main reason was I hated the amount of overspray painting tubes makes in the garage...

However, powder coating does come with a few disadvantages...  Firstly finding someone who will do a good job!  I have had some terrible jobs done in the past... the other disadvantage is if there are any rust pits, you cant cover them with anything due to the powder coat process involving heat.  With a sprayed finish you can use a 2K primer filler which does a brilliant job of covering them imperfections up.  the other advantage is it's much easier to touch up in the future, plus and unlimited range of colours.

So after the powder coater messed me around again, I decided to paint the frame with 2K.  here is the results.

I started with a thin coat of etch primer (or adhesion promoter as I prefer to call it!) followed by two coats of 2K primer filler.  After a bit of a flat off with 800 I gave it two coats of silver base coat, followed by two of 2K lacquer.

I did this in the garden, under the Gazebo, which was brilliant!  I am really pleased with the results and probably won't go back to powder coating again.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2024, 07:30:13 AM »

From experience...never use a phosphoric acid type primer, or etch under epoxy. It will fall off in sheets.

Works great for 2K urethanes.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

buzzer

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2024, 12:57:04 AM »

The other thing the powder coater did for me was the plating…  but he didn’t, despite having it a month.  I used to do this myself with a home kit, but it was hugely time consuming and he would do a batch for £45.  I knew this had potential to hold me up again so after the bank holiday I made a list of local companies that did plating.  The first one I visited said I would need to open an account… and the minimum invoice was £120…  The second one, the reception was locked, so I wondered into the factory via a side door to be met with a very friendly guy, the owner of the company.  I showed him what I had and he said he would do it… but they had a minimum charge…  £28!  He said come back next day as he would do it at the end of today’s production run.  Next day I popped back…  Fantastic job!

I hate hammering bearings in where there is an alternative… so I pull the head bearings into place with a large piece of threaded bar, this works a treat and allows the bearings to be seated nicely before assembling the headstock.

One job I needed to do was to check that there was no blasting media in the frame oil tank.  Although I had sealed it you never know, that blast media has a habit of getting inside!  I used my bore scope which is an excellent bit of kit!  It has an 8mm camera probe and LED lights, it plugs directly into my phone so I can see inside things like engines, it takes stills and videos!  All for £15! No sign of any media at all.

As I was doing it my wife came into the garage with a coffee…  I said let me have a look in your ear…  I checked inside her ear and said “just as I expected…nothing in there”  she silently walked out… with my coffee laughingdp laughingdp

It’s all coming together fast now as you can see…

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2024, 05:15:11 AM »

I used my bore scope which is an excellent bit of kit!  It has an 8mm camera probe and LED lights, it plugs directly into my phone so I can see inside things like engines, it takes stills and videos! 

Oh oh - my doctor used thar. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the engine. Shocked

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
buzzer

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2024, 03:07:30 AM »

Oh oh - my doctor used thar. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the engine. Shocked

laughingdp

Things don’t always go to plan… I dropped the speedo and of course the glass cracked. Very frustrating! My first reaction was to just buy another… then I got thinking… maybe I could repair it? So I made a new bezel out of aluminium and tried to peen it over… first attempt failed, it was too thick, so I made another, and that worked perfectly! One tip when bending aluminium is to aneale it first. To do this mark it with a sharpi pen and heat it.. when the marks disappear, its the correct temperature for annealing! just let it cool…

I was able to turn a new glass out of 3mm polycarbonate, clamped between two pieces of aluminium, and a revolving centre. I guess there are now a couple of advantages… the alloy is more in keeping with the bike, and i was able to remove the GPS logo. While the MOT man is not bothered, (its not a reason to fail) A GPS speedo does not comply with construction and use regulations.

buzzer

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2024, 05:01:24 AM »

This build comes to an end, just in time for spring and the better weather! Took it for MOT today and it passed with no problem… But then again he follows my builds!

I did spend a very frustrating day yesterday..  I measured the voltage to check it was charging...  It wasn't!  I set about fault finding ( the electrex worldwebsite has a fantastic fault finding section!)  and everything checked out, I couldn't understand what was wrong...  In desperation I asked my mate to pop round...  First thing he di was check the volts... with his meter...  It was charging!  the fault was my meter!

I will update in a while when I have put a few miles on it...  first impressions are very favorable!  Its very light and weighs in at 139KG with a bit of fuel in there...  On the road it feels torquey and nimble!

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2024, 05:22:45 AM »

Oh my! How does it handle?  I wonder what it weighs?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:02:14 AM by Howie » Logged
buzzer

« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2024, 05:55:13 AM »

Oh my! How dues it handle?  I wonder what it weighs?

139 KG...  its a little bouncy,  just called Hagon and they will rebuild the shocker for £150, so I may do that just before we go on holiday....
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2024, 08:04:21 AM »

I think it will be a lot of fun around town.  Congrats on another wonderful build.
buzzer

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2024, 01:20:58 AM »

I think it will be a lot of fun around town.  Congrats on another wonderful build.

I will report back on whats its like when I have a few miles under the belt...

As this build finishes my mind turns to the next project, I have 6 months to think about it as I like to ride over the summer months...  Yesterday I moved the cars and bikes out of the garage so I could give it all a good clean.  Moving the bikes around made me realize just how heavy the Guzzi feels (200kg) its manageable for me at the moment, but I am sure a time will come when that also becomes too heavy...  The Ducati's weigh in at 165- 168 KG and with the high bars, they are easy enough to move around.  The Honda feels super light in comparison!  Incidentally I rode a Honda Montesa last month...  at 80 ish KG that felt like a push bike!

I think the next build will be a single cylinder, and as powerful as I can find...  which means going for a watercooled bike.  maybe quite modern, and perhaps accident damaged/reparable salvage...  we will see, watch this space!

greenmonster

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2024, 03:01:45 AM »

Which Multi are you most happy with, engine wise?
Separate ignition sensor worth the effort?
Any plans for Dynoing your builds?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2024, 04:51:51 AM »

Which Multi are you most happy with, engine wise?
Separate ignition sensor worth the effort?
Any plans for Dynoing your builds?

the last build is the best engine wise...  it had a bit of head work on it, but to be honest there is not much difference.  Now I have sorted the ignition on one of the builds using the original sensor, I would say no, its not worth going to separate hall sensors.

I would like to dyno the bikes...  but there is nowhere local thad does it...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: