Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 04:20:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 04' S4R Instrument panel  (Read 2001 times)
thegunner76

« on: January 11, 2023, 06:29:58 AM »

Ive got some irritating scratches on one of the glasses Id like to swap. I was thinking about cutting some plexiglass, but Im not sure how I can remove the stock ones without breaking the frame.
Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know someone who sell 3d print blueprints for the top cluster top? Ive looked online and can only find the whole cluster or case.

And while Im changing the glas I would really like to swap the gauge plate as well. I need only km/t and would like to see the speed more easy. I found a german company selling these for about 25 euros. Do I break something, or can I lift the needles of without any problems?

RB

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 06:52:05 AM »

I’d look on eBay for a used or non functioning cluster to replace your scratch.
Iirc, very carefully pry the needles off of their post to remove the cluster face.

convict

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 07:56:19 AM »

i used a 2007 sport classic dash on my 07 s2r800
as a dash replacement survivor i have been following this type of thread
at one time there was an aftermarket milled aluminum dash.in my opinion it was fugly and very expensive. long ago
more recently there was a digital printed dash but never made it to the market and no fix to lens
to date i have not seen any posts successfully replacing the 'glass'

and
i did the new clock face thing too. yes super careful on the needles but they do just pop off. just do it.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:10:32 AM »

NewTacho.de ?  IIRC their faces aren't transparent, so you'll have less light. Then again.... my experience is that it's this transparency that makes the numbers hard to read at night.

NewTacho.de feature an installation video  waytogo Needle removed with two tea spoons. Interesting way to 'lock' the needles in (one) place.

It's possible to replace the glass, but it's difficult. That glue is NOT giving up easily. If you aren't able to find a used 'top', or get tired of looking for it, maybe try to remove the scratches first.  There must be a million DIY videos on the web.

SOS Diagnostics do a lot of instrument work. Maybe they have something in a box somewhere?

When you put it back together it's mega critical to seal perfectly. Spend time positioning the sealing gasket correctly in every little corner to avoid leakage. Don't over tighten the screws - they are grabbing into plastic and aren't really meant to be tightened more than once.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 08:18:13 AM »

Glass here:   https://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Speedometer-Glass-for-Ducati-Monster-620-750-900-S4-1000

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:14 AM »

These guys print the faces on clear plastic, so then you'll have transparency.... if you want it. Maybe your supplier also print on clear plastic...  Maybe 'my' NewTacho.de also....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263747652589?hash=item3d6895cbed:g:wZMAAOSwNnRYhRka&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAKGtfcZKmEUVCUGCJKha2ln1csoDwiXvcJlh0I%2BZmkxYphfcbIdiokvHwvgJFkukUgWW2sGl44WyPiD22WqvT1e6DIsVojKriNgHTd4H%2FakDDKCd7dqsNJUBD%2FflkrYxG9YqpZTb3QPyi2tDPGq5MMRYRDnM4FrtNof2jRZeJVWrQ3WeY0alh0QDCs8kx08EhAchivkYtsSZ5ImkyutQtiqVwmC7Dcizg2XWye2KUDNQl0LSTMcoeFsTDYfjw%2BPHiMYwoUnlqAZMG39cfV7%2Fv5m2PQZKrOZGK%2Buuv7aJJSukfyUF5UwtUWvUdcjUOuPZPjWfhU0QCpHAGaicmADAgtE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7ICQmrRh

thegunner76

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 06:21:14 AM »

Thanks for all your replies

Ive tried different approaches regarding the scratches without any result, so I think I need to wait until I find a affordable replacement. Dont think its wise to mess around with swapping glasses without having the replacemnet at hand, as you guys said. An alternative is 3d-draw the top myself (how hard can that be? coffee) and find someone to print it for me.

Im really happy to hear I can change the gauges without any problems. And yeah, the ones I was referring to was NewTacho. Even better if they have a installation video  waytogo
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 02:13:50 PM »

There is a new thread on the UKMOC forum - similar to this one - which mention a company that can change the odometer setting too (to km). Maybe other companies, maybe the dealers or maybe even you... can do the same.

booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 09:32:45 AM »

I recently got a complete face portion w/ actual glass not acrylic or polycarbonate from a guy on another forum. He 3D printed it. It's unfinished so I will have to prime & paint it but it's a direct replacement, snap tabs & all. The lenses fit to a lip on the inside. All fits together properly.

If I were you I would take your gauge face in to a shop that does 3D printing and high resolution 3D scanning, and simply pay the fee to get it scanned. Then either have them immediately 3D print it or do it yourself. For the lenses maybe try buying it from that German firm listed earlier, or simply cut some 3mm tempered glass or some polycarbonate or acrylic.

You might then try selling the print file online somehow. I cannot imagine you not being able to make your money back from the 3D scan that way. Everybody who owns one of these will need a replacement gauge at some point.

It's hard for me to believe why the aftermarket hasn't come to the rescue on this issue.

Of course another solution would be Motogadget.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: