Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:53:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 S2R800 - Immobilizer light is on, cannot override.  (Read 1873 times)
dcal

« on: May 04, 2023, 11:54:33 AM »

DMF, hello again, it's been quite some time.

2006 Monster S2R 800.

The bike has been sitting for, a while. I had it running the this past Sunday after a long bout with the fuel flange wiring harness. Took a quick ride and put it away so I could get to some other maintenance items on my journey to getting it road worthy.

I washed the bike yesterday, and this morning removed the evap can, while I wait on a new chain.

Immobilizer light came on today and I can't start. I am the original owner, and I have all three keys and the code card. I tried to do the throttle override with the code, but it will not get to the flashing light stage after holding the throttle open for 8 seconds after key on.

I checked continuity at the rf antenna under the key cover, and was able to get a 2.7V read from the other end of that connector with the key on. What other diagnostics can I do to locate the issue?

I did go through the numerous threads on this issue, and nothing seems to point to a particular direction that I'm comfortable digging into until I get a more precise diagnosis. Thanks in advance for any replies.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »

Pressure wash? Police

Disconnect and reconnect the battery? The same with the ECU connectors? Dry out as many connectors as you can.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
dcal

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 12:21:58 PM »

Regular wash, S100 and rinse with my garden hose, nothing high pressure about it.  Smiley

I should have mentioned that I disconnected/reconnected the battery (which is new). I did not try to disconnect the ECU, and will give that a go.

eta: ECU connectors were bone dry. I'll have to get the headlight off to try the cluster connectors. What's a good place to check ECU ground?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 12:43:01 PM by dcal » Logged

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 02:51:16 PM »

You can unbolt and lift the instruments to access it's connector.

ECU has it's own ground - short cable on the rear/right corner of it.

It's logical to suspect electrical vs moisture issues here. Often solves itself.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
dcal

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 04:18:39 PM »

Thanks for your help. I did just that. Blew out every connection I could get to with some compressed air. Still no go. I'm going to leave it for now and try again tomorrow, hopefully after it's had some time to dry out.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 11:15:13 PM »

My advise is kill the immobilizer.  Either by flashing the ECU or contacting SOS  http://sosdiagnostics.com/ducati.html

The immobilizer light will blink.  IMO, the immobilizer does a great job of preventing the rightful owner from operating his/her motorcycle.
dcal

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 03:30:11 AM »

Thanks Howie, was looking at getting the stuff to flash it out as I'll never be able to trust it again even if I get it started.

If you have any links to guides that might be helpful. I found a ducati.ms page with some info, but the GB lonelec store that has the cables is a little confusing.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 04:27:02 AM »

SOS, in the link above can do it, but you would need to send them what they need.  You might find a local shop to do the flash, which would be a perfect time to slso upgrade to a Ducati performance upgrade, if not already done.  If you post your location maybe someone can recommend a shop.
dcal

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 07:55:32 AM »

Update, it lives, was able to start this morning.

I'm in Morris County NJ, if someone has a shop they could recommend that would be cool, but I'm also just fine to buy the cabling and software and do it myself. I'll search around for better info.

This was the cable I found on ducat.ms... I don't know which one is that data port on the bike so no clue if it's the right one.  Embarrassed
https://www.lonelec.com/product/guzzidiag-jpdiag-ducatidiag-tuneecu-kit-kl-1talia-3-pin-connection/

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 08:25:06 AM »

Not too close, but, IMO, worth the trip.  www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com  Speak to Steve.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 12:24:09 PM »

Not too close, but, IMO, worth the trip.  www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com  Speak to Steve.
Steve knows his stuff.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: