Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 696 Clutch slipper ?  (Read 3969 times)
grumpy old skidmark

« on: November 14, 2023, 03:10:42 PM »

Hi
I'm a kiwi living in Oz.
I have a Ducati 696 monster, that i have been modifying over the years, my drama is that when riding hard doing power gear changes  i can induce clutch slippage when i really don't want it.
I also have a kawasaki vulcan 1600 that also did the same ( i know , i don't recommend racing a vulcan) and i fitted a barnett carbon fiber clutch and spring, no more slipping or slipper function, great on a big bike and i love it.

There are not many options when looking at ducati clutch's OEM , bernett, ducabike,
the slipper clutch is great on down changers to slow down , but shit when you down change and nail it to get out of that stupid position you have put your self in, and all you get is screaming engine and no go.
the 696 has a wet clutch,
don't know if the basket is steel or alloy,
don't know if plates are steel or alloy,
just know i need to fix the slipping under power.

happy to go to a lighter alloy basket, more is better or in this case less!
alloy driven plates,
like carbon fiber drive plates,
heaver springs is no problem,
I know that alloy plates like an alloy basket,
do all my own work, fitter by trade.
I haven't dropped the cover off yet, but sure that all inside is stock oridganel
in my sixties but ride the duke like a teenager.

do you have a clutch solution for me?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 03:26:08 PM »

Well, if it has done more than 15,000-20,000 miles.... it's possibly done. Slips on full throttle at peak torque (~6500revs?) first.
The 'slipper' action is the flip side of self torquing - it tightens when loaded. Difficult to control smoothly.

One common mistake is to NOT mount the outer plate off set. That's important for the intended action. You'll see what I mean when you get in there.

I wanted more control and opted for the simple older wet clutch from a Monster/SS 750. Slightly heavier, but wonderful with a 28mm aftermarket clutch slave.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 03:49:19 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
grumpy old skidmark

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 08:53:38 PM »

its done about 60 k klm
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »

its done about 60 k klm
Then I'd suggest it's cactus.

Ducabike?  https://ducabikedirect.com/collections/2009-ducati-monster-696/products/ducabike-dbk-dfbd03-dfbd03-kit-clutch-plates-complete-oil-bath?_pos=1&_fid=2548b0385&_ss=c

Get really sexy:  https://ducabikedirect.com/collections/2009-ducati-monster-696/products/ducabike-dbk-ccdv04-ccdv04-clear-clutch-cover-oil-bath?_pos=1&_fid=7a8cc1ee4&_ss=c

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
grumpy old skidmark

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 01:58:20 PM »

thanks for your suggestions, I'm looking at barnett carbon plate kit with heavy springs, alloy retainers and a carbon fiber clutch coverall up about the same price, will post when i get it all fitted and sorted
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 09:02:34 PM »

thanks for your suggestions, I'm looking at barnett carbon plate kit with heavy springs, alloy retainers and a carbon fiber clutch coverall up about the same price, will post when i get it all fitted and sorted

... interesting! bacon ...so howditgo with the clutch change? popcorn

... or... if your a real ... café racer ... clutch burnin ...hooligan...  Grin;

you might be able to figure out how to put a dry clutch; maybe a dry barnet clutch;

for comparison I like to ride hard in the right spots; with no traffic about in mountain terrain. I quite liked the M s2r 03-08 era 800 slipper oil clutch (owned 3 s2r 800s; similar to the 698) nice smooth and forgiving; by comparison the dry DS 1000 s2r was either full on or full off; not 100% sure but 90% think it is being the 2nd owner that I rebuilt from salvage scratch; lever is heavy in the hand, so heavy springs, with little or no slip, so totally unforgiving when dropping the clutch; and wow look out for corners; and keep an eye out for oil or glycol spills in the corners; and on wet well traveled roads look out again ... had the rear tire locking on a number of occasions with new rubber; fun once it became expected with experience and knowing where that limit is ... and the risk of the unexpected  Evil. But others have more mechanical and racing knowledge than I.

Oh ... and I took out 2 of 6 springs in the s2r 1k to get more clutchy slipper; and its still good to lift the front tire off the ground with weight forward doing full smooth acceleration. I rotate the ones out around in a season; and also have some washers between the cover and cases to help cool, ventilate & dust out the clutch and so you can hear the dry clutch rattle more Evil.

Dolph
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:19:59 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
DuciD03

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 09:14:49 PM »

Then I'd suggest it's cactus.

and ... wtf does cactus mean; lol

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 10:04:30 PM »

Kaput in Australian.
DuciD03

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 04:15:30 PM »

Kaput in Australian.

ha! thanks H, ... learning all da time.

Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 02:21:29 PM »

Might want to try changing clutch fluid and re bleeding the clutch. I had a similar slipping issue and that fixed it

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: