Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:37:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster or Il Mostro in Europe? Dates first bikes delivered in Europe?  (Read 542 times)
Fitz Blitz

« on: February 08, 2024, 11:19:46 AM »

Hi All

I'd be grateful with some help with some historical Monster questions. I'm writing a screenplay for a TV drama series, which is not commissioned so it is just a hobby for now, which is set in the 90s and one of the characters rides a Ducati Monster.

He bought his Monster in Spain in 1993 and that is the first thing to clarify, were Monsters being delivered to customers in 1993?

I read in this thread:

https://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=79591.0

that on 5 March 1993  "the first monster with frame number 000001 was a red 904cc. It was gifted to the then F1 world champion Ayrton Senna".

This is cause for optimism. I wonder if the general public in Europe would have also been first receiving them in March 1993?

My next question is the name of the bike. I'm wondering if they were called Il Mostro? Did Ducati always use the English name "Monster"?

I've done loads of googling of images of the original bikes and I have not yet seen a pic of a factory built bike called Il Mostro, however I have seen custom bikes with this name. I've also seen people refer to the bike as Il Mostro but I think maybe this is just people celebrating the Italian nature of the bike.

As an aside:

I was a motorcyclist myself way back in the 80s in Ireland. I loved Ducatis actually and all Italian bikes, Moto Guzzi, Laverda, MV Agusta were the other big names then. I do remember the Monster appearing for the first time and thinking, that is a strange thing, I wonder if anyone will be buying that? At that time I was living in London and working in TV very hard indeed and so I had no spare time for riding motorcycles.

Anyway thank you for any assistance you can give.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 12:15:36 PM »

Monster was chosen for marketing reasons, but in the development stages it was referred to as Il Mostro. The marketing people won (or maybe it was the owners). Delayed components delivery (usually because Ducati couldn't pay) caused production to not start until mid 1993. Bikes delivered soon after (October+)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Fitz Blitz

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 10:18:21 AM »

Thank you stopintime for this information which will be very useful. I'm going to call the bike the Ducati Monster in my script and my character will have received his at the end of 1993.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 11:54:32 AM »

If not already known to you.... for inspiration:

(might as well have been a Monster)

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/21/hunter-s-thompson-going-gonzo-revisited/

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: