Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 14, 2024, 12:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble shooting - M695 dies when gear engaged  (Read 305 times)
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« on: July 14, 2024, 03:13:57 PM »

Looking for some help on how to trouble shoot before I take to dealer for help.

I have an M695 with 153k miles and here is summary of what I am experiencing:

1. I can start bike with side stand down in neutral.
2. Put side stand stand up then nick in to gear.  Bike dies.  Then it happens whether the side stand is up or down.
3. I think faulty kick stand switch so...
4. I buy used kick stand switch on eBay.
5. Install new but used side stand on.
6. Start up bike in neutral, side stand down, pull in clutch, put in to gear.  Bike doesn't die.  I think I am good.  Clean up to go for ride.
7. Again, bike dies when I pull in clutch and put into gear regardless if stand is up or down now.

I doubt I have two faulty side stand switches.  Where should I trouble shoot next?  Thanks.

2007 Monster 695 (153,000+ miles)
RB

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024, 06:37:11 PM »

Clutch switch possibly?
Or the clutch could be gone or not operating correctly. Can you punch the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 06:51:14 PM by RB » Logged

OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 07:32:24 PM »

Clutch switch possibly?
Or the clutch could be gone or not operating correctly. Can you punch the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?

With clutch pulled in and i tried to punch into 1st or 2nd it kills the engine.  this is with the side stand up or down.  when i first  put in the new side stand switch, i could put the bike into gear with the clutch pulled in and the side stand down.

i will look into the clutch switch and see if i can swap out. if that doesn't work, then i will need to take to dealer.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2024, 06:25:24 AM »

Bypass both switches  Just disconnect each connector and jump the two wires.  Still stalls you will need to do further diagnosis. 
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 02:41:39 PM »

Bypass both switches  Just disconnect each connector and jump the two wires.  Still stalls you will need to do further diagnosis. 

i know this will sound stupid and maybe it is simple, but how do I jump the two wires at each connector? also, the side stand seems to have a few wires that go into the connector.

fwiw, i did buy a clutch switch on ebay and plan to swap that out when i get the part.  hopefully this works.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 03:05:23 PM »

There are three wires into the side stand connector. Bk, W/R, NC (assuming black, red/white, ??). on the other side of the connector (where Howie suggests to jump wires) there are only two, W/R and Bk. Put a wire between those two. The side stand is not connected at this point.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 05:42:11 PM »

Thanks for pointing out the third wire.  My aftermarket wiring diagram only had the two. 
thelonious

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 12:12:21 AM »

This has to be a problem with the side stand switch or its wiring.

A faulty clutch switch would not cause the engine to die once started, it would only prevent it from starting (with the side stand down).

It is quite possible that the replacement side stand switch you bought from ebay is also dodgy, this is ebay we are talking about! If bypassing the side stand switch works, then I suggest replacing it again but with a new genuine item this time.

If it doesn't work, there could be damage to the side stand wiring. Trace it back to the ECU or wherever it leads, carefully tee into it and run a replacement wire. I had to do this (on a different bike) that was cutting out at random, it was hidden damage to the side stand wiring. Took me ages to figure it out.

Don't be tempted to run the bike without a side stand switch for long, even if you careful at some point you will forget and pull away with the stand down leading to disaster at the first left hand bend.
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 08:00:03 PM »

Thanks for the recent replies. I will try the jump/bypass this weekend.  If it works, agreed that this should only be a trouble shooting step and not "the solution".

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2024, 09:47:46 AM »

waytogo
I've had a sidestand switch intermittently cut in and out on a tuned 100hp HM1100 Evo. A recipie for a high side. Definitely buy new after bridging the switch confirms. I used a paper clip and tape.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: