Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 16, 2024, 08:29:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time-sert ok here?  (Read 196 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: August 21, 2024, 02:08:46 AM »

While replacing my starter I discovered three-four stripped threads in engine case bolt holes - for the side cover.

I was warned that Time-sert might not be the thing because there is too little metal to work on/in (drill and cut new threads). As far as I can see, the walls are about 4mm thick.

Enough? Too little? Go Helicoil?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 02:23:15 AM »

According to Google time-serts have a 1 mm wall thickness, but the collar, or flange, is larger. If you can verify the flange is smaller than the metal you have to work with I see no issue using one.

I've had good luck over the years with helicoils installed using loctite.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 04:03:24 AM »

I use helicoils for the M6 bolts securing the outer cover. The torque value is low.

2015 Scrambler 800
thelonious

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 01:05:27 AM »

Side covers often use a variety of different screws lengths. Trouble is people take them all out together and mix them up, then use screws that are too short in some holes and over tighten them which leads to the threads getting stripped. If you are lucky, only part of the threads will have been damaged and there may be good threads below that will work with a longer screw and the correct torque. You may need to clean them up with a blind hole tap first.

If not - these stripped holes are meant to take M6 screws, yes?

Another option would be to drill out the holes with a 6mm bit, which will only remove the damaged threads and not the surrounding metal. Luckily, 6mm is the correct hole size for an M7 tap - so you can now tap the holes to M7 size and use M7 screws instead of M6.

I think that will remove the minimum amount of material and will be a stronger and simpler solution than using inserts.

Your only issue might be finding a M7 blind hole tap and M7 screws as it is not a common size.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: