Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 02:20:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever run from the LEO?  (Read 2498 times)
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« on: July 28, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »

While I would probably not have the guts to try and run from a speed trap on my bike, I've felt like there were a couple of times I escaped in a car.

Just heard a good story about some lads I know passing the Police doing A Buck Ten.  Both are more skilled riders than I. One looked at the other and gave the universal shrugging signal for, "What do you reckon we do, pull over or give it the berries?" to which the other responded with more throttle.  So they took off riding at nine/tenths, as the alternative of impounded machines and being taken away in the paddy wagon seemed very unpleasant, indeed.  They didn't stop for love, nor money, until they were two counties over.  To no ill-effect, I'm happy to report.

Like the legend of Robin Hood, such stories stir my soul and invigorate my imagination.  They warm the very cockles of my heart, you might say. So regale us with your lawless tales of grandeur!

Disclaimer:  This thread ass-umes everyone here is an adult capable of making sound judgements (but not always deciding to), responsible for and aware of their own actions.  So alleviate yourself from the temptation to post stuff like, "It's crazy idiots like you who are driving up my insurance premiums."  In other words, lighten up people.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:39:30 PM by Smitch » Logged
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:35:21 AM »

Oh shoosh yo mouth Mr. Smitch I'm a not gonna be posting none of them stories here fo' the world to see...... perhaps I'll tell ya baout them sometime though....  Wink

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:02:06 AM »

the ducati confessionals??  what about the ones that didn't get away!!

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
flynbulldog

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:24:17 AM »

I had a friend who was riding one of the canyons, just tooling along at about 90 to 110 having fun in the twisties all by himself.
Suddenly he came up on a road block, he stopped and said "what's going on?" To which they replied with guns in his face and officers yelling at him to get off the bike and get on the ground.
Apparently he had passed an officer and didn't see him. He continued to ride his ride. The cops couldn't catch him and figured he was running. All the time the rider had no idea anyone was even around.

I wonder how you prove intent in a case like this. I don't think my friend was the kind of guy who would run but how do the cops know what he was doing.

I think most of us just enjoy riding in the curves at an exciting pace and want to cause no harm to others. There are times when that's possible and there are times when we should mellow out.
It's frustrating that to other people anyone on a sport bike is a bad-guy.
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »

I think most of us just enjoy riding in the curves at an exciting pace and want to cause no harm to others. There are times when that's possible and there are times when we should mellow out.
It's frustrating that to other people anyone on a sport bike is a bad-guy.

Exactly.

There is a guy who used to ride with us that was bragging about his skills in out-running cops in the canyons. 

It must be nice to know exactly where every deer is, 100% confident that there is not a group of Harleys around that next curve doing 15 mph, and that your bike has the magical ability to take you safely through the car that is stopped in the middle of the road, just around that blind curve , taking pictures of the rock climbers.

I'm sure the adreneline rush from knowing you being chased also improves your riding skills and judgement.  Roll Eyes

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
Smitch

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »

the ducati confessionals??  what about the ones that didn't get away!!

Aren't they locked away forever?  laughingdp

+1 to Flyinbulldog and Bick's posts. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:43:25 AM by Smitch » Logged
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

the involentary dismount at speed and watching your bike being chained to the back of a wrecker while in handcuffs can take the entertainment value right out of a good ride!   costs plenty also...

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Smitch

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

Which is exactly why I wouldn't have the guts.  But I'm common folk.  Love it when the heroes with superior skill and trickery get away with it.  Again, it's like Robin Hood baby.
Scottish
Balls!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »

I've never done it on a bike. I've had a couple hotrods they couldn't keep up with. They say you can't out run the radio..... that's true but the radio can only tell as much as the guy using it knows.  Evil

Smitch

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »

I've never done it on a bike. I've had a couple hotrods they couldn't keep up with. They say you can't out run the radio..... that's true but the radio can only tell as much as the guy using it knows.  Evil

Well said!  If they lose sight of you, well then it goes like this: go like crazy, turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left....relax.
Scottish
Balls!

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »

That happened once the other time I got him outside of town and just out motored him before any back up could get there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: