Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:36:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard stops at lights  (Read 3759 times)
Wolfet410

« on: July 29, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »

On my ride into work today I was coming up to a yellow light faster then I should have been.  I figured this would be a good time to practice a hard stop.  It was on a four lane road (two in each direction separated by a median), and I was in the right lane.  There was a car in the left lane moving slower then me, but also stopping at the light.

I checked my mirrors and there was a car in my lane, but I figured he was still far enough behind me that he definitely had time to stop, if he was paying attention and reacted normally.

Just as my bike came to a stop, the car blew by me in my lane on the right side near the shoulder and ran the light.  It was red by the time he entered the meat of the intersection.  He was clearly in control of his vehicle, and was accelerating as he passed me.

This bothers me - I was obviously in a very unsafe situation.  Looking back on it, I feel I had two options: run a late yellow, or do the hard stop and hope the driver reacts appropriately. And while hard stopping, if I had been watching my mirror during the hard stop instead of staring in front of me, what type of reaction should I have had seeing the car barreling down on me with no obvious intention of stopping?  And realistically, during a hard stop, does anyone actually watch their mirror (ie. not immediately after the stop, but while the bike is still moving and pitched forward with your hand gripping the brake lever)?
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »

And while hard stopping, if I had been watching my mirror during the hard stop instead of staring in front of me, what type of reaction should I have had seeing the car barreling down on me with no obvious intention of stopping? 

And realistically, during a hard stop, does anyone actually watch their mirror

Personally, I wouldn't have practiced the hard stop with a car behind me even if the car is far way.  No telling if they are paying attention.  Bikes stops quite fast compared to the average car.  If I went down (for whatever reason), the car can run over me...but all that is besides the point.

If I had been in that situation and was looking in the mirror, I *hope* I would have released the brake, do a quick scan of the road ahead and gas and/or swerve to get out of the way...

However, I usually check behind me before braking, but not during as I'm afriad I'll go where I look and drop the bike.

Sounds like it was just a bad situation with an A-hole.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »

First rule should always be "keep yourself safe".

If your options are running a late yellow, or getting urn over-just eat it, hope you don't get a ticket, and run the late yellow.

Also, if you weren't speeding, it's less likely the car would've been going as fast. Not saying it's your fault, just saying it's something to keep in mind.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
erkishhorde

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:10 PM »

Not that I encourage policing other drivers by blocking them and whatnot but unless the lane was pretty wide it sounds like you were close to the line. If you had been closer to the middle of the lane they might have realized that they couldn't make it pass you and wouldn't have zoomed pass you. Then again they could also have creamed you from behind.  Undecided

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
Wolfet410

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »

Thanks for the input.

I'm never worried about the ticket, but am constantly worried about oncoming traffic turning left on a late yellow (expecting me to stop), or perpendicular traffic timing the light expecting it to be green when they get there at speed.  Either way, running late yellows on the bike makes me uncomfortable.  I agree, riding fast is what gets me in the situation in the first place. Evil

As far as placement in the lane - I actually seem to gravitate towards one side of the lane specifically so if someone behind me can't stop they have an out that doesn't involve running me over.  In this case, it may have enticed the driver to pass me or it could have saved me from getting squished.

I do wonder how many people are able to keep an eye behind them as they stop, especially if it's a hard stop.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »

You have to be aware of your surroundings. Im not just saying this cause you got into a situation, but you you always have to check your rear for speeders. If your speeding, theres always the likelyhood of someone using you as a rabbit, you have to know what your up against, another biker? a crazy driver in a ricer rocket civic with no brakes? a brand new bmw? is it being driven by a kid? Generally, they will find and use the same passing opportunity as you, so they will end up being on your ass. I dont know how your area is, but we have dont walk and walk blinkers and you kinda know when its going to turn yellow. If you know you are speeding, there's no point in stopping hard for a light because the guy behind you is probably a dumbass and following YOU. not traffic.

When I do stop hard, say the light is already red. When i stop, i stop with the most room for a car to stop. aka, im close to the divider, or close to the next lane. Or if there is a nice sized gap between 2 cars, i will stop there.

Everything in this world is about self preservation and the best way to do that is to be constantly aware. S.A. or Situation Awareness.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducpenguin

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »

I do wonder how many people are able to keep an eye behind them as they stop, especially if it's a hard stop.
I will always watch behind me, regardless of a hard stop or not...I am fairly confident that I can control what is in front of me better than what is behind me. 
I agree with He Man...If possible, I will stop closer to the center of the lane between cars in front of me. 
At least this had a decent outcome, and you are not a hood ornament. 

rockaduc

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »

I am always "checking my six".  There are way too many assholes in my area.  I once had a guy pass me on the shoulder on the right while I had my right blinker on and was about to initiate a right turn into my work!!!!!!  the only thing that saved me was a quick check in my mirror as i was slowing down.  I thought about following him and kicking the ever-loving-shit out of him at he next light, but I had an important meeting with the VP 1st thing that morning.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »

Whenever I find myself in a hard stop, I realize that the car behind me may rear end me.  I'm always looking for my exit.  If that means running a red light or running into the shoulder, so be it.  I'm sure the cop would understand.  If they didn't, I'd fight it in court.  There is no reason for a moto to get a ticket for avoiding getting rear ended.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: