Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 05:11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big news about your friendly neighborhood BMW-Ducati Shop  (Read 3205 times)
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »

This is starting to spread like wildfire, you're going to hear it sooner or later.

There is a 90% chance that the current owner of BMW-Ducati of Colorado Springs will be selling the business to the owners of Pikes Peak Harley Davidson/Pikes Peak Motorsports.

I was told that the shop might stay where it is for up to a year while a new facility is built/prepared/whatever.

Not sure when it will be official.  Could be a couple weeks, could be a couple months.

I've been hearing it for a few weeks from the most unlikely people.  Today it was confirmed. 

That is all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:23:13 PM by Smitch » Logged
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »

Shocked So are they going to hide the BMW's and Ducs, like they do the MV's over HD?  Cry

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
merkle
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:57:29 AM »

That's really a shame, because the couple times I've been to HD it seems like I had to wade through a sea of HD's to look at about 1-2 Aprilla's or 2-3 MV's. Last time I went They had 2 Aprillas stuffed in the very back upstairs.
Bad News
Heffay

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:07:57 AM »

could be good, could be bad... i don't think the current bmw/duc shop owners are doing a good job either.

crappy @$$ location that they argue is fine, hardly any organized events up until a few months ago, no real advertising of any kind... the shop MUST be seen and it MUST include itself in the goings on of the local motorcycle world.

harley is and will lose ground in this growing and modern motorcycle world... bringing in some new stuff, even if it is another brand, may revive that shop a little too.

just got back from a trip to vegas a few days ago and i passed a harley/bmw/some other brand i can't  remember shop... the thing that got me right off the bat was the building (from the outside) was ALL harley... no other brand plastered all over the front like harley was... the only way i knew there were other brands there was the sign by the road which was also mostly harley and the other 2 brands were an after thought tacked on below the giant harley symbol. 

my guess is they are purchasing the franchise to run it in the ground... BUT you can't get a franchise w/out at least putting in some work/time/money... lets hope they keep up their end of the bargain.

1973 cb350f cafe, 1975/77 cb400f race project,
1992 zx7r
J_Slyter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »

I sure hope they don't try to integrate it into the existing location. I have a few friends and co-workers with HD's and not one of them purchased their bike locally. I briefly entertained adding a RoadKing to the stable once upon a time, and I can honestly say, I would not buy at PPHD either. I never walk out of that place feeling like I'd be a valued customer. More of a "give us your money and be happy we sold you a bike". Maybe I just don't have the right look or attitude. Perhaps it would be different if they did not co-locate.

Does not make me feel good about potentially going there for service either. Guess I'll have to get the 6K done on my Duc, before this happens, and then learn to do my own maintenance.

Any idea on the motivation for selling? Is it economy or is it just time to retire from the biz?
Smitch

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »

J_Slyter,

The rumor is they're hoping to build a seperate building for their Pikes Peak Motorsports division, which I think these brands would fall under.  Sounds like that's a year out.

I think Jack's ready to have one less thing on his retired plate. Plus, I'm pretty sure the store hasn't made him any money.  Those two things are strong motivators!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:28:53 PM by Smitch » Logged
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:40 PM »

Well I hope Jack has a fantastic retirement and that the Harley crew doesnt F-up the great reputation you guys spent so much time building. 

Are all of the staff moving over too?

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Smitch

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »

We hope so, but are understandably worried that some of us will get the old pink slip.  Such is life, and mergers, and buyouts...
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:53:51 AM »

Did Beemer Bill ever make it back, or is he gone for good? 

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Smitch

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »

Not back yet...doubt he will be.  Hope he would be, but doubt it.

Nothings changing for two months or so, from what I hear, maybe longer.  And I can't believe our techs would go anywhere, so they'll still be able to take care of your machines. Hope everyone will continue to come in and support us as you see fit!
mac020

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »

Finally one stop shopping for me. I was wondering if that was going to happen when I saw BMW-Ducati in the PPHD parking lot! Welcome to the dark side. One thing for sure is that the location change will be an improvement!

It cracks me up when I go to the Harley shop to pick up parts on the Duc and vice versa for the BMW. Some of the looks you get are great.

I hope my 996 gets done before the move. Been in the shop over 15 months now. Long story........

I hope most of you guys keep your jobs! rumor has it that PPHD pays their mechanics on commission only.

Oh, and Beemer may be placed on permanent disability by the worker’s comp Doctors. Really doubt he will get back in the business. He really effed himself up in that/those crash/crashes.
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

I'm not sure why the hating on the current location. I like it.On the other hand PPHD is well, blah, the same as every other HD dealer I've seen, find a frontage road off a interstate and build a huge show room to house 50 y/o anachronisms. I prefer the look and feel of a small independant shop. I like it when they are in quirky spots.

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
Heffay

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 07:49:16 AM »

I'm not sure why the hating on the current location. I like it.On the other hand PPHD is well, blah, the same as every other HD dealer I've seen, find a frontage road off a interstate and build a huge show room to house 50 y/o anachronisms. I prefer the look and feel of a small independant shop. I like it when they are in quirky spots.

i didn't say it wasn't nice and homey... but, they are ruling out the "drive-bys"... i lived in springs for about a year and never knew the shop was there.

there are people (like my dad) that can not resist stopping at any car/motorcycle lot he sees... if he doesn't see it, he doesn't stop... get it?

is there a reason a small independent shop can't have a prime location w/ the big boys... wouldn't you like going in a small independent shop that was parked right next to one of the big boys just to watch the look on their faces every time they got dissed?

your argument makes a little sense to me... but only a little. Wink           LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:53:59 AM by Heffay » Logged

1992 zx7r
Heffay

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 07:55:36 AM »

Finally one stop shopping for me. I was wondering if that was going to happen when I saw BMW-Ducati in the PPHD parking lot! Welcome to the dark side. One thing for sure is that the location change will be an improvement!

It cracks me up when I go to the Harley shop to pick up parts on the Duc and vice versa for the BMW. Some of the looks you get are great.

word from reputable source has it that they will build a separate location and HD will be separate from MV, Duc and BMW.

1992 zx7r
J_Slyter

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:10 AM »

Not back yet...doubt he will be.  Hope he would be, but doubt it.

Nothings changing for two months or so, from what I hear, maybe longer.  And I can't believe our techs would go anywhere, so they'll still be able to take care of your machines. Hope everyone will continue to come in and support us as you see fit!
I sure hope they keep the same staff, that will keep me coming back, and as long as the new ownership doesn't create a PPHD environment. PPHD has just totally turned me off on more than 1 occasion.

A nicer facility and location would be....well nice, but that would help the business more than affect whether I come in or not.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: