Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 06:48:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: to trade, or not to trade..............  (Read 2970 times)
Asia1098

« on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »

OK. I need opinions.

There is a guy wanting to trade his 2007 Triumph 675 for my 2006 Honda VFR800. His bike has the undertail eliminator and a Two Brother's slip on exhaust. It also has less than 5K on the odometer. KBB retail is $7,500+

My bike has less than 2K on her and the only mods I did was a Scorpio alarm and Pazzo race levers. KBB retail is 8,500+.

I was actually thinking of selling the VFr to help us finance the new home, but this isn't a bad trade......or is it? Sooner or later I planned to purhase another 600cc bike. It was gonna be a Honda 600rr, but that Triumph has some serious fun in it.

So, what do you guys and gals think, huh? Roll Eyes

Barry
I liked my Hondas, but I loooooved my DUC!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet in Ashalt....again.
2007 Ducati 1098 Smiley---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda VFR 800i---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda CBR 600rr---SOLD!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet yellow---SOLD!!!
Failure is success if we learn from it.
rsoffar

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »

idk which you should do... but i think that 675 is a hawt lookin little bike.
yeah i know, im no help at all haha.

'00 M900s
sdlrodeo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:40:41 AM »

I'd think about asking for $500 in addition to the VFR. That would balance out the trade as far as value goes. I've never ridden one, but the 675 is supposed to be pretty damn awesome. I'm evious of your situation. The added bonus is that you would be welcome to ride the 675 at any euro-only track day. I remember Jeff used to only allow European bikes at his track days. Unless you were in tight with him I guess.
I should also note that I've never ridden a VFR either. I'm just partial to European bikes. I really dig the triumph. If I was in the market for a smaller displacement bike, the 675 would be #2 on the list next to the 848 as bikes to test drive. Then again, the 848 has a little more power than my 996 powered ST4s. I'll stop babbling and go now.
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 06:18:45 AM »

Grin This seems like a great question for Fastwin but I think he may be out of town or something today - you might want to PM him him though because he could probably give you some really good info.

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
fastwin
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:28:14 AM »

Not gone yet, can't get rid of me that easy. Grin I guess I'd have to ask the basic financial question. You said you were thinking of selling the VFR to help finance a house. Does this trade deal not torpedo that idea? Either way you still have a bike and still want/need to finance a house. Personally I'd live in my Suburban before I'd get rid of a bike to buy a house. laughingdp

As you well know VFRs are really great do it all bikes, always have been. I'd trade Colin for a mint '86 red/white/blue VFR... don't tell Jen I said that! I still don't know why Honda stuck it with that stupid variable valve setup. Totally unnecessary. Anyway, wonderful bike none the less. I can't think of a better all round bike than a VFR... sport, commute, sport tour, anything.

The 675 really kicks it too. Have never read anything but good stuff about them. I hear the nose down/tail up attitude makes for a tallish seat height for those of us that are vertically challenged. More stress on the wrists too. But it's a hard core sport bike, the VFR plays to a different crowd.

They are both really nice scooters so I guess it goes back to my first statement about do you really need to be bikeless to swing the house deal? If yes then sell the VFR and buy the house. If not then decide which scoot best fits your bike needs. Have you always lusted after a 675 or did this deal just blow in the window from nowhere and catch your attention? As cool as the Triumph is I would have to lean conservative and stick with the great, do it all VFR. They are just too good at what they do and they will last forever.

See, I'm no help at all... told ya'. [moto]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 07:30:47 AM by fastwin » Logged
Asia1098

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »

Well, I guess I forgot to mention that we already got the house. It's just that I'm not comfortable with two house payments yet. I'd like to rent out my other house soon.

As for the bikes, I planned to sell the bike and decorate my new house with the money. That way I'm not putting myself into any kind of credit card debt when the hardwood floors are installed, and the walls are painted, and the...........   Well, you know what I mean.  Smiley

The guy wanting to trade the bike is a 60 yr old fellow that wanted something less strenuous on his back during commutes.

Personally, I really like both bikes, I just don't know if it is a good idea to let go of something so versatile for something more fun!

I did think of trading my bike for his +$500.----I'm just banging my head on the wall wondering if I offer him that deal and he takes it will I regret the trade?  bang head Oh well, I'll wait and see......

Barry
fastwin
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »

Well, you had the 1098 and it's also a dedicated sport bike so you know what you are looking at with the 675. Interesting that you kept the VFR and sold the 1098. Hmmmm, very interesting. Was it just a money deal or did the versatility of the VFR make you keep that over the 1098? There may be a hidden answer there somewhere. Wink I can certainly see why a fellow AARP member would want a more comfy sport bike and your VFR would be a great deal for him. If I were him I'd install Heli bars on the 675 and keep going. Old people are just wimps! laughingdp But would his 675 spin your prop in the same way for you? If you miss the 1098 and catch yourself staring lustfully at other sport bikes and frown at the sight of your old frumpy VFR then there is yet another possible sign. You've got a great dilemma there, two great bikes, one you have, one you might want. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Don't envy the two house deal, hope that works out soon.

Final thought. Are you married? Know lots of guys who had bikes (emphasis on HAD) and sold them for house stuff: kid's room, floors, redecorate, furniture, etc. Also had seemingly very easy going wives who didn't mind bikes, some even like to go on two up rides. Once the bikes were gone and the house stuff was done they no sooner started thinking about a replacement scooter when WHAM!!, out of nowhere wife says no, can't afford it and finds yet even more house stuff to spend any potential bike money on. Tongue Seen it happen many times. Jen would do it in a heart beat. waytogo If you are married you know your wife... would she do that? Decide that before you get rid of any bikes.

End of lecture. laughingdp [moto]
Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »

waytogo See - I told you Fastwin could help you sort this out !  I'm certain this wisdom of his did not come cheap and I for one am grateful that you are generous with it Mr. B !  I'd like a second bike in my garage someday - so I am taking notes, biding my time, and d##*it all ... earning my stiupid kitchen points (TM).  laughingdp

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
fastwin
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

Yeah, I haven't posted any novel length, longwinded, bullshit tirades in awhile and I am leaving town tomorrow so I thought I'd get a few licks in on Barry before I left. That'll theach him to post up threads asking for opinions while I'm on the board! Better print this off, won't catch him doing that again!! Half the messages on this board end up as PMs because of me. laughingdp
Asia1098

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:36:27 PM »

LOL...... you guys make me laugh. Grin

Brian- Yes, I'm married and I have a five year old and a four month old.
          Yes, after I sold the 1098, the wifey suddenly said only one bike allowed in the garage from now on. Angry
          Yes,  I really miss having a bike that can perform without feeling like I'm lugging around a chunk of lead.
          Yes, My selling the 1098 was such a good deal that I just couldn't turn it down.
          Yes, I love my Honda's, but I've learned to love Ducatis....not the Ducati dealers. They just want my money.
          Yes, we are deciding what colour of paint, new hardwood floors, carpet, landscaping, etc. we will be spending the Ducati money on. Roll Eyes
          YES, one day I will own another Ducati!!! [moto]

This 675 deal sounds good, but I don't want to pay out anymore taxes for trading. What would tax for trading be anyways?

Barry
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 05:46:58 AM »

can you just give the kids up for adoption to free up some capital?

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Asia1098

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 07:34:20 AM »

Easier said than done...LOL. Grin

Actually, It's just me and my paranoia of overspending. I hate being in debt and avoid it like the plague. Wink

Barry
Bonwilder
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »

I get the debt issue, but I don't understand selling your last bike to decorate the house...just fix up the house a little at a time and then maybe you can keep your bike, or trade for the 675.  I guess I just despise remodeling.  We had an older home in KY where I had to paint every wall, replace floors, refinish the hardwoods, etc.  What a nightmare.  When going through all of this work in the house you are going to need a bike to ride just to relax and get away!
Bonwilder
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 07:44:21 AM »

No, McKraut.
Kevin848

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »

Brad and Angelina may be in the market for some more  laughingdp

Tough call man, the 675 is sweet! That reminds me, I need to get some hardwoods for the house... anyone in the flooring biz?  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: