Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:17:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fjording w/ the Monster  (Read 5051 times)
CDawg

S4RS

« on: August 04, 2008, 05:33:19 AM »

I got caught in an unusual predicament and was hoping to get people's thoughts, critiques, comments, etc...

Went riding this Saturday and got caught in a severe thunderstorm.  I did the usual ducking the worst parts under gas stations and overpasses.  However, in one section of the freeway (mild left-hander with banked surface) there was bad flooding.  I was trapped with concrete barriers on both sides, long line of piss-y cars, strong down pour w/ no end in sight.

I decided that turning around was not an option as I would be going against traffic on the freeway.  I decided that waiting out the storm is not a good option as it was rainig really hard and there are no shoulders for me to pull over.  In the end I decided to fjord the flooded area ("river").  The river spanned across the barrier so I picked the high side of the bank.  However, the depth went from 2~3 inches in the begining to what felt like a foot of water.  I kept telling myself to keep the RPM high so the exhaust would prevent/minimize water flowing into Quad-D ExBox.  I also feathered the clutch so I can keep the speed down/smooth and the torque high. 

Thankfully, I got through it fine, but at one point a cager rushed the deeper side and it's wake started to push/drift me to the concrete.  I had to tell myself no sudden movements and just go with the flow.  I made it home safe (but wet) and made sure to let the bike idle for a while to get the operating temperature up to cook off any water that may have gotten the exhaust, etc...  I took the bike out on Sunday (just around the block since all my leathers are soaked) to check the electrics and make sure there no water in the system and to lube the chain.  The exhaust fumes was clear and all the electrics checked out, so it seems like the bike was no worse for wear.

Thought, comments, advice what to do next time or what I should have done this time or waht maintenance to check tonight?
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:37 AM »

WOW!!!  Scary experience.  Yeah, I got nothing for you.  I guess these are the advantages of having the intake so high up on the bike.  How far up on the bike did the water go?  Did your exhaust make bubbles? 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »

How far up on the bike did the water go?  Did your exhaust make bubbles? 

Hard to tell, to be honest, I was too scared to look down...for fear of going down with it.  I could feel the waves lapping at my feet, but I cannot recall if I had the balls or the heels on the pegs during that experience.
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:07:52 AM »

Yikes!  Yeah, that was definitely washing inside your exhaust.  You might want to check the condition of your baffles.  They rust really fast, so if they get wet at all, even if you dried them out, they may be damaged. 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:19 AM »

make the beast with two backs that just throw the baffels away. who needs em? But seriously man, where did you get caught? I've ridden in storms like that probably 2-3 times. I just keep my blinkers on and be consistent on the throttle. Hell i rode all the way to Goldcoast like that to and fro. Got some balls riding in the river though. lol

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
wbeck257

Porkchop Sandwhiches!

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:16:48 AM »

A little water never hurt anyone...

2006 Ducati S2R1000, 1974 Honda MT125, 1974 Penton Jackpiner 175, 1972 Yamaha R5
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:25:55 AM »

A little water never hurt anyone...

Shorter distance, that be me...about the same water level too.  Hope I never have to do it again.
truckinduc

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:56:51 AM »

i used to ride my honda dirtbike up to the handlebars in the lake, just have to keep the speed up. the air intake was under the seat. The wing- radiator shrouds on the tank would push the water away from the seat creating an air pocket right at the air box. I did suck water in a few times. Just removed the plug and drained the float bowl, turn it over a few times, put the plug back in and go. Got to love hondas. Never once got any water in the oil. Bike probably needs some rings now come to think of it.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »

i used to ride my honda dirtbike up to the handlebars in the lake, just have to keep the speed up.

No issue with water in the exhaust?
*fingers crossed*
truckinduc

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »

no not at all, never was a problem. Id estimate id keep it about 5k rpm.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

no not at all, never was a problem. Id estimate id keep it about 5k rpm.

Thanks!  I recon I was around 5~6k RPM. That helps put my mind at east a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: