Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 01:17:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Solo Ride  (Read 3721 times)
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« on: August 10, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »

So Mum Nature finally decided to cooperate and give me an afternoon of sunshine to work with. Tony let me back the bike out of the garage and turn it around myself since I really haven't moved it much myself for fear of dropping it (again). I got it outside and pointed in the right direction just fine, supporting the weight on my hip as you guys suggested. Tony got the Monster out behind me and after shaking off some of the jitters we were off and running. There are two railroad crossings on the route I chose, which are really rough, and I got past those without trouble. I didn't feel pressured by having T and other vehicles behind me, and I managed about 60mph., which was a little weird at first but once I settled in I was fine.

I needed gas and T offered to go fuel up for me before we took off but I decided I wanted to do it myself. I was so nervous about stopping at the pump and dropping the bike  Tongue. I rolled up to it fine, fueled up without spilling a drop, and we were off again. When we were almost home the bike stalled on me at a stop. I had cars behind me and a cruiser pulled up next to me on my right to turn but I didn't get flustered. I got the bike going and took off, and when we turned onto the last sidestreet the bike stalled again mid-turn. I rolled the corner with the clutch in and when the bike was straight again it took a couple of tries to get it going again. When we got back T told me he hadn't even realized it stalled the second time, so I guess I did ok with it.

Tony was laughing at me when we got back because I was just putting along, doing the speed limit most of the time on the straights, but he noticed that when I hit a nice curve I was moving right along. I didn't even notice I was doing it  laughingdp

It's amazing how may things you take for granted when you're in the car or a passenger on a bike though. Things are sooooo much different when you're in the saddle alone!

All and all it actually went better than I figured my first ride would, as nervous as I was. I'm excited for the next time out and I know that it will only get better from here.

Yippee!!

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
jdubbs32584
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great job hon!  waytogo

applause
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »

woot!
 waytogo
log your miles, log your miles!
 [moto]

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:56 AM »

I feel so silly-
"Yay, I gassed up all by myself!"
"Yay, I pushed the bike out of the garage!"
laughingdp
I never knew such simple little things could be so exciting  cheeky

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:28:24 AM »

Yeah!  doesn't feel great to take it out on the road?  Congratulations.  These are big steps in the right direction.

I feel so silly-
"Yay, I gassed up all by myself!"
"Yay, I pushed the bike out of the garage!"
laughingdp
I never knew such simple little things could be so exciting  cheeky

I was super proud of myself too on the first trip to the gas station.  I still sometimes have trouble pushing it out of the car port (we have a weird dip right off the cement). 

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:47:16 PM »

Way to go hb! waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »

like watching a baby bird take it's first flight Smiley waytogo
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »

chug
We knew you could do it!

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »

Yeah, um, my first trip to the gas station wasn't nearly so graceful.  Ducati in all their brilliance decided to put a suicide sidestand on my bike.  You guessed it.  I hadn't put enough forward pressure on it while I was resting the bike down.  It was just enough so that when I pulled my leg over, the bike shoved me against the pumps!  Sooooo graceful...   Embarrassed

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »

I still worry about turning the bike around (off the bike) if there is not a lot of room (especially in front of others).

I'm bikeless at the moment Cry. Sold my m750 to my son-in-law. Took it to him up in Oregon and rode the little Ninja 250 while he rode my his duc. Oregon is weird. A MC permit requires the rider to have another rider with them at all times on a separate bike. Like it does any good. It's not as if I can say, "hey, slow down before you enter the turn." I mean, how do you communicate? He is a really good rider already. We rode over 200 miles in two days. When I was new, I rode 10-30 miles at a time and was tired. (I'm still new--my one year anniversary was this past week Smiley).

Is it June yet?
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »

how's it going biposto? haven't had an update in a while... hope all is well  [moto]
mcgalinmd

Where's that Ketchup? Tailight is waiting!

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »

I honestly think I can ride the bike I do because I do practice the "little stuff" over and over on the range when teaching the MSF classes.  IMO, anyone can ride any bike if they have the right skills.  The ONLY thing that would limit someone is inseam length.  I can't ride my hubby's BMW because i'm not flat footed - and yo've got to be that way on that bike because it weights so darn much.

I highly suggest to anyone to go purchase about 15 tennis balls, cut them in half - now you have your own cones  Grin ....set up your own range on a parking lot using the parking spaces as your measuring tool.  Do the quick stop, the slow speed u-turns, etc.  Get to do them until you don't have to think about it.  Practice those pause and go's too - you'll be surprised how that will help you at traffic lights!  [moto]

Can you imagine a world without a Ducati???  I think it's called Hell. Smiley
Betty Rage
it's a bird! it's a plane! No, it's a

hater

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »

applause applause Go HB go!! you'll have to change your name now, you are no longer a cupcake!!  applause applause

Darkhorse den mother
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: