Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry lake bed tire pressures?  (Read 2044 times)
RST

« on: August 11, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

I suppose this should go here... what tire pressures do the experts suggest for top speed runs on dry lake beds?  Bike is a 1999 R6 and tires are BT002 DOTs.

Thanks in advance!

-R.
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »

I suppose this should go here... what tire pressures do the experts suggest for top speed runs on dry lake beds?  Bike is a 1999 R6 and tires are BT002 DOTs.

Thanks in advance!

-R.

pm speeddog, he spent over a decade doing top speed runs at Bonneville I think.  I bet he knows all that stuff.
gm2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »

http://www.scta-bni.org/

site doesn't have that kind of specific info but there are email addresses and phone numbers, advisory board, etc.

...actually, i'd probably ask tige.

el mirage??

Like this is the racing, no?
derby

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »

i see somebody in the neighborhood talked to gabriel.  waytogo

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »

I never ran regular cycle tires on my bike, at least at any significant speed.
They were car tires, specifically Goodyear Frontrunners, Rear was a 15" tire (intended for the front of a SuperStock car) and front was a 17" (intended for the front of a Top Fuel dragster).
I don't remember what pressures I was running, nothing very far off of what one would use for a typical moto tire, in any case.

The guys who were traction-limited tended to run roadrace rain tires on the rear.
Those were the guys who were running in the neighborhood of 200+mph with miserable aerodynamics.
They seemed to work fairly well, but wore out pretty quick....  Roll Eyes

El Mirage is a fairly short run (1.3 miles), so there's not a lot of concern about heat build-up in the center of the tread.

Bonneville is a 3 or 5 mile run, depending on whether you're short course or long course.
At that time you had to run >175mph on the short course to be allowed to run the long course.
Even at ~200mph, the short course was long enough to get up to speed.
I'd run out of Nitrous on the long course....
Heat build-up in the center of the tread was a problem for the 200+mph with miserable aerodynamics bikes.
I saw a roadrace slick with an inch wide strip chunked out all the way around from excessive wheelspin.

For the application in question:
I'd run the front at a cold pressure equal to what you would want to see as a hot pressure on a roadrace track.
For El Mirage or Bonneville, you're not going to get any appreciable heat into the front tire.

For the rear, I'd run a cold pressure 3 psi or so below what you would want to see as a hot pressure on a roadrace track.
Then I'd check it right after the run.

I've not run there in over 10 years, and never with regular moto tires, so... not really all that helpful.

The existing El Mirage 650cc gasoline record:
(A-G) no fairing 168.488mph.
(APS-G) with a fairing 174.249mph.
Those records are from the time period when I was there, that guy ran for *many* years to get 'em.

The existing Bonneville 650cc gasoline records:
Modified Gas no fairing (M-G) 157.556mph
Modified Partially Streamlined Gas (MPS-G) 171.324mph(*)

(*) This record is 33 years old, and thus may seem to be ripe for the picking.
However, it was set by Don Vesco, an absolute ICON at Bonneville.
And, AFAIK, it was set with a sleeved-down TZ-750 2-stroke....

With more details on what you're trying to do, I can likely help more in general as far as running the bike and such....

Bonneville and El Mirage are very different in many ways, but do share the characteristic of being the most inhospitable places on earth to compete.
Many folks underestimate that part of it.
Both are usually brutally hot, and Bonneville often has high humidity as well.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the thorough write-up.  It's for a commercial shoot at El Mirage.  They're looking for a sportbike + rider to do a few high-speed runs.  I doubt I'd be seeing 150mph and if I did, it wouldn't be for a long period of time.

-R.

I guess I should have asked a few questions first.  laughingdp

Last I knew, George Callaway lived at the west end of El Mirage, and was the go-to guy for all things that happened on the lakebed.
I *think* he was the mayor of the 'city'.
He was *old* ten years ago, so he may not be around any more.

Survey and mark your path carefully, it's easy to get going the wrong direction due to the lack of any landmarks on the lakebed.
A straight line of cones to mark a 'lane', if you can.
There are mounds of dirt that collect around the bushes on the lakebed, hitting one of them at speed will be ugly.
Also, usually there are bad areas/grooves/ruts from folks wheeling around when the lakebed is wet.

Fairly common for an 'inversion layer' of cold air holding the dust almost stationary early in the morning.
There's usually no breeze then, so the dust clouds just hang there till they settle out.

Try to find a path that's free of loose dirt on the surface.
Even when the surface is clean, there's not much traction.
A couple of millimeters of loose dirt on the surface and the bike is going to want to swap ends.
Go very easy on the front brake.
At speed, the clean areas are a lighter brown than the loose areas.

Hopefully, you can have the area completely shut down as far as other cars, bikes, landsailers, etc. are concerned.
Watch out for all types of aircraft, they do use the lakebed as well.

People do dumb shyt out there, every once in a while someone would ride or drive across the course during a race meet.  Roll Eyes
Happened to me on one of my runs there.  Angry

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
derby

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:06:55 AM »

...and don't forget to put sunscreen on your junk.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »

...and don't forget to put sunscreen on your junk.

Photo shoot is for Playgirl?

Seriously, if you wear baggy shorts 'commando', yeah, use sunscreen.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: