Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:12:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO Factory support in AMA  (Read 4746 times)
smooth

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »

Yamaha will be racing American Superbike (also known as SuperStock).  They were fine with that from the beginning.  I think they would've been fine running and superbike but since no one else stepped up, why should they?

Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia and BMW will race in American Superbike as will M4 Emgo.  I'm pretty sure Jordan and Corona will still be on board too.  Not all is lost is AMA racing.  I fully expect everything to turn out just fine and within 2 years Suzuki and Honda will be back.  I don't think Kawasaki will be missed one way or the other.

Since the factories missed their deadline to commit and sign on for Factory Superbike, they are not allowed in the series, right? With these same factories being responsible for submitting bikes for homologation for the other classes, what are the teams you mentioned above (Jordan, M4, Corona) going to race? BMWs and Chinese knock-off brands? If the factories don't have classes they want to run in, why would they pony up the cash and effort to support the rest? I wouldn't and I don't blame them for holding out after being jerked around (although it does sound a bit childish from the articles I've read).

Is the 1098R going to be legal for the American Superbike class? If not, why would Ducati show up?
I'd love to see the series as it is improve, but not by applying the rules and class structure DMG wants.

You don't think Kawasaki will be missed? What about Jamie Hacking's rise to multiple podium finishes with the ZX10? That's like saying Roger Hayden's supersport championship and Tommy Hayden's two championships were boring and meant nothing. I'm not a huge, offended Kawasaki fan, but I appreciate their efforts and would rather see more, not fewer makes on the grid.

I think we'll see the factories next season, just not with DMG/AMA. I wouldn't be surprised to see the factories band together with the track owners and sponsors to create a new, separate series. Til all this gets straightened out, I'm so glad we have WSB to watch!
derby

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »

Since the factories missed their deadline to commit and sign on for Factory Superbike, they are not allowed in the series, right?

no, there just won't be a factory superbike class...

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
smooth

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »

By the way Daryl, I'm not trying to strike up an argument. I really enjoy AMA roadracing and it bothers me to see it in such turmoil. I've also read and agree with alot of John Ulrich's articles and posts regarding the problems of cost, parity and competition. However, I hate the idea of trying to turn AMA roadracing into a two-wheeled clone of NASCAR.
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »

Since the factories missed their deadline to commit and sign on for Factory Superbike, they are not allowed in the series, right? With these same factories being responsible for submitting bikes for homologation for the other classes, what are the teams you mentioned above (Jordan, M4, Corona) going to race? BMWs and Chinese knock-off brands? If the factories don't have classes they want to run in, why would they pony up the cash and effort to support the rest? I wouldn't and I don't blame them for holding out after being jerked around (although it does sound a bit childish from the articles I've read).

They can still participate and the series can homologate the bikes whether the factories submit them or not.  Yamaha has already said they are happy with a more stock-based class.

Is the 1098R going to be legal for the American Superbike class? If not, why would Ducati show up?

Yes.

You don't think Kawasaki will be missed? What about Jamie Hacking's rise to multiple podium finishes with the ZX10? That's like saying Roger Hayden's supersport championship and Tommy Hayden's two championships were boring and meant nothing. I'm not a huge, offended Kawasaki fan, but I appreciate their efforts and would rather see more, not fewer makes on the grid.

Nope.  Frankly, I'm not real into watching 37 y.o. riders get the call when there is tons of young talent waiting to move up.  Remember the last young rider who got the call to race AMA SBK?  His name was Nicky Hayden and he's done a few things since (and Ben Spies is on his way).

I think we'll see the factories next season, just not with DMG/AMA. I wouldn't be surprised to see the factories band together with the track owners and sponsors to create a new, separate series. Til all this gets straightened out, I'm so glad we have WSB to watch!

So, you think the factories, who weren't willing to put 4 bikes on the grid are now gonna fill 4 entire grids?!?!?  Good luck with that.  What privateer is gonna come and play in that sandbox when there's no payout (especially not compared to DMG).  Also, they simply don't have the money, the experience or the time to pull something like that off (plus, good luck getting tracks to go with you).  The factories will pour their money into the Euro and Japanese series (as has already been stated) and they will be back once they realize that they're losing market edge in their #1 market.  Sure, there might be a couple "not as great" years, but within 5 years, it'll be a better series.
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 08:00:28 PM »

By the way Daryl, I'm not trying to strike up an argument. I really enjoy AMA roadracing and it bothers me to see it in such turmoil. I've also read and agree with alot of John Ulrich's articles and posts regarding the problems of cost, parity and competition. However, I hate the idea of trying to turn AMA roadracing into a two-wheeled clone of NASCAR.

There is a lot of turmoil, but this needs to happen.  The OEMs can't just keep getting their way or we'll have a series like we already do.  None of the major championships are run in such a fashion.  And, don't think it's impossible to bring in good quality outside-the-industry sponsors.  WSBK, WSSTK, WSS, BSB, ASB and others have shown that it is possible.

Also, with the new ownership, expect to see much better TV coverage - which will go a long way towards bringing in more money and therefore more talent.
derby

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »

I'd love to see the series as it is improve, but not by applying the rules and class structure DMG wants.

Yes.

did they change that? the 1098S was the only model on their initial list.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »

did they change that? the 1098S was the only model on their initial list.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I read that Michael Locke said that it was to be homologated.  I'll have to check on that now tho...
derby

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 07:26:40 AM »

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12821

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

gm2

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:33 AM »

well well well.

Like this is the racing, no?
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 08:51:34 AM »

I like how the promoters and the tracks haven't heard the first thing about it. 

I think this is a case where the MIC thinks they can control everything and I'd be willing to bet they're about to realize that they've bitten off far more than they can chew.  They have no promotional power, no TV deals, no cross-promotion to speak of.  In other words, they're going to have a REALLY tough time selling this series to non-racers and I fully expect this to be a huge money-losing endeavor for them.

Not to mention the fact that they have about 6 riders worth of grid.  If Mladin is pissed about backmarkers this year, whoooo is he gonna be pissed when  he Johnny Rock Page is running around in 7th place.

Most of the bigger support teams have already expressed their intent (as well as Yamaha) to race in the DMG series, so it'll be one class (superbike) with 6 factory riders and a bunch of dudes rolling up to the track in their pickup trucks - should be one hell of a show.
gm2

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »

duh.  JRP's reality show deal is going to pick up the tab.

Like this is the racing, no?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: