Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO Factory support in AMA  (Read 4753 times)
darylbowden
Administrator

« on: August 15, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Aug/080815ji1.htm

Good work Ray Blank and Mel Harris.  Way to make the beast with two backs up the best thing that could've happened to motorcycle racing in America in quite some time.  John Ulrich said it best - those guys are nothing but a couple of liars who backed out after every concession was made to them.

Not that John reads this board, but he made extraordinary efforts to get the factories on board and he should be thanked for being the only person of any power in American racing who did a damn thing to try and get this situation resolved in a amicable, agreeable manner.
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »

I haven't been following, but If i'm understanding: DMG reversed course after the factories were all OMG!!! over daytona superbike, created a new class called factory superbike to meet the factories needs, and now the factories backed out?

Lame.

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »

I haven't been following, but If i'm understanding: DMG reversed course after the factories were all OMG!!! over daytona superbike, created a new class called factory superbike to meet the factories needs, and now the factories backed out?

Lame.

Yep.  Basically, JU got DMG to concede to every demand that the OEMs had.  He got them to go with WSBK rules, no tire supplier, no fuel supplier, EVERYTHING the OEMs said they wanted.  The OEMs then said they wanted more and he got them that too.  Then when they had everything they asked for, they still backed down and wouldn't do it.  And, he basically insinuated (he wouldn't name names) that the two people responsible for this breakdown were Ray Blank of American Honda and Mel Harris of American Suzuki.
gm2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »

And, he basically insinuated (he wouldn't name names) that the two people responsible for this breakdown were Ray Blank of American Honda and Mel Harris of American Suzuki.

in recent weeks these are the only 2 names that have been in the press.  yamaha and kawasaki have been, apparently, completely absent.

the lack of support for Factory Superbike is... weird.  crazy, on paper at least.

wish they would just change nothing in '09 and start figuring out '10, together, now.

Like this is the racing, no?
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »

in recent weeks these are the only 2 names that have been in the press.  yamaha and kawasaki have been, apparently, completely absent.

the lack of support for Factory Superbike is... weird.  crazy, on paper at least.

wish they would just change nothing in '09 and start figuring out '10, together, now.

Yamaha will be racing American Superbike (also known as SuperStock).  They were fine with that from the beginning.  I think they would've been fine running and superbike but since no one else stepped up, why should they?

Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia and BMW will race in American Superbike as will M4 Emgo.  I'm pretty sure Jordan and Corona will still be on board too.  Not all is lost is AMA racing.  I fully expect everything to turn out just fine and within 2 years Suzuki and Honda will be back.  I don't think Kawasaki will be missed one way or the other.
Xiphias
'06 S2R800 - Black/Tang (sold); '07 CBR600RR - Red. '09 R1 (Stolen).

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:15 AM »

It would be kinda of nice to see Suzuki out of it...watching the same two guys at the front gets a little boring.

Hi-ho-hi-ho....its off to the track I go.................
derby

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »

It would be kinda of nice to see Suzuki out of it...watching the same two guys at the front gets a little boring.

let's forget, for a moment, all the talk of spies going overseas next year, or mladin retiring after next season... what makes you think that if (factory) suzuki left ama competition somebody wouldn't want to throw a ton of money at either of those guys to race on their team?

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:38 AM »

let's forget, for a moment, all the talk of spies going overseas next year, or mladin retiring after next season... what makes you think that if (factory) suzuki left ama competition somebody wouldn't want to throw a ton of money at either of those guys to race on their team?

It would have to be a team backed with serious cash IMO, since payouts are low if I remember correctly.

I don't think a non-factory sponsored team could front that much, if WSBK was talking about how much they were making and it would be difficult to match.

It is good to hear that maybe not all is lost next year. 

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »

It would have to be a team backed with serious cash IMO, since payouts are low if I remember correctly.

You don't recall correctly.  There is a 200k purse every weekend split evenly between the 4 races, i.e. 100k per class per weekend.
derby

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »

the payouts have always been ridiculously low... (professional) race teams surely don't do it for the purse.

the smart teams will find out of industry sponsors to pay the bills for their efforts. with the influx of energy drinks (redbull, rockstar, monster), we're already seeing some of that attention given to roadracing. jordan/nike is a perfect example of exactly what the sport needs (in the US).

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

derby

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »

You don't recall correctly.  There is a 200k purse every weekend split evenly between the 4 races, i.e. 100k per class per weekend.

not exactly accurate...

here are the schedule/purse sheets for each of the rounds this year:  http://www.amaproracing.com/prorace/preenter.asp?sid=#superbike

(click on event schedule)

daytona has the highest purse, be sure to check the rest of them, too...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:24:37 AM by derby » Logged

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Xiphias
'06 S2R800 - Black/Tang (sold); '07 CBR600RR - Red. '09 R1 (Stolen).

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »

No reason...watching Mladin and Spies race each other gets boring for the most part...

Hi-ho-hi-ho....its off to the track I go.................
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »

not exactly accurate...

here are the schedule/purse sheets for each of the rounds this year:  http://www.amaproracing.com/prorace/preenter.asp?sid=#superbike

(click on event schedule)

daytona has the highest purse, be sure to check the rest of them, too...

I'm pretty sure we're talking about NEXT year, where each weekend has a 200k purse. Wink
derby

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure we're talking about NEXT year, where each weekend has a 200k purse. Wink

sorry... i got confused when you said "is" instead of "will be if what's been proposed is implemented."  Grin

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »

sorry... i got confused when you said "is" instead of "will be if what's been proposed is implemented."  Grin

The man has France $$$, it'll be 200k just like he says. Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: