Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 02:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 535841 times)
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3750 on: May 11, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »

I'm going to miss all of the fun... Sad

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
sta

'95 ZX6R sold '07 Monster S2R1K

« Reply #3751 on: May 12, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »

I'm going to miss all of the fun... Sad

Going somewhere? I'm flying out to nashville for a conf that day.  As for the pending 2 men duc ride this Saturday, I may just be available as long as we make a stop at ala moana for the race packet pick up.  Sound like a normal monthly duc ride.  Grin
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3752 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »

Flew up to San Diego yesterday for my grand daughter's graduation...

MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #3753 on: May 13, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

Great!  I truly appreciate the offer.  I have three Utubes from CA Cycleworks that walk through the procedure and I should get the shop manual by early next week.  I'll run through proceduere in advance regarding the lockdown.  I'll send a PM next week with location.  I get up early every day so I'll start right after coffee.  Done before lunch.

Do you have a rear stand for those bikes?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3754 on: May 13, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

Went to Moto Forsa in Escodido and checked out the latest MV F4 and 990 Brutale...first time I'd seen in an MV in person, beautiful, just beautiful... drool

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3755 on: May 13, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

Yes, and a BBQ too!  

I ran through the youtube videos again and the only thing I don't have is a 12mm wrench with a swivel socket on the back end.  Looks kinda crucial because the vertical cylinder tensioner is quite close behind a frame connection.  A deep offset box wrench would probably work as well.  I'm headed down to pearlridge tonight so I'll drop in to sears and see what they have.  Not enough clearance in there for a standard ratchet.  At no time is there any need to lock down the engine or the valves.  Some humbug with the intake valve on the vertical cylinder, but Chris puts it together by hand so we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  

I have an extensive set of 3/8" drive metric everything-you-can-think-of, and another full set of metrics in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 inch drives.  Two sets of combination wrenches and a couple of plus-size metrics owning a Ducati has mandated.  I'm a torque fanatic when access to the fasteners allows so I have the wrenches for that as well.  I have a tuning software for setting the belt tension, notepad and a digital camera to help with those "senior moments".

I'm doing this for fun.  I like to do my own bike work.  It's not about $$ or SS.  Shaun & Will have always been great to me. I will probably only do this when I feel the need to change the belts based on age.  If I need valve adjustments and a full service Will's the guy.

I watched those videos also. Good fun in a way. I think we'll do alright. Like you I'm not sure we need the same exact tools Chris uses. I ran through the factory manuals and they specify a crankshaft lockdown and two cam lock tools. Looks like we might be able to do without. I imagine lots of folks have done so. I've done 5 2 valve engine cam belt changes and they are a snap. The cams move too but there is a mark to line up that the twin cams don't have. While the 848 is under warranty I'll have Will do the the work like that so the warranty will stay in force.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:59:08 PM by MadDuck » Logged

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #3756 on: May 14, 2011, 12:29:28 AM »

Went to Moto Forsa in Escodido and checked out the latest MV F4 and 990 Brutale...first time I'd seen in an MV in person, beautiful, just beautiful... drool

Uh uh. I'm gonna get you too.   Evil

That Brutale is a pretty comfy bike. On top of that, Laughn still says the one he had is the only bike he regrets selling.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3757 on: May 14, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

Went for a short run up to Haleiwa with a friend I hadn't seen in about a year.  Felt ok, but I didn't want to go any farther.  I was distracted for a second by a really excessively painted Prowler as we were heading in to town - I looked forward just in time to see a guy on a bike waving (like big, overhead wave), but it was too late to see the guy or the bike very well.  Was anyone up there around 1100?

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3758 on: May 15, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »

Went to the FIM USGP at Glen Helen today and had a blast...

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3759 on: May 16, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »

Went for a 5 hour ride with my daugther's boyfriend today, from San Diego to Potrero near the border and back...did about 165 miles in all, mostly on his '06 Gixxer 1k with a five mile or so run on his 10 year old Goldwing...ride consisted of a little more than one hour's freeway riding, 45 minutes for lunch and the rest on twisty/curvy canyon/valley roads...temp was in the 60s, best day of riding ever for me...wish we could do this at home... [moto]

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3760 on: May 16, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »

Went for a 5 hour ride with my daugther's boyfriend today, from San Diego to Potrero near the border and back...did about 165 miles in all, mostly on his '06 Gixxer 1k with a five mile or so run on his 10 year old Goldwing...ride consisted of a little more than one hour's freeway riding, 45 minutes for lunch and the rest on twisty/curvy canyon/valley roads...temp was in the 60s, best day of riding ever for me...wish we could do this at home... [moto]

You and me both. I have gotten to the point of not wanting to look out the window when flying in & out of SoCal, or NoCal for that matter. But I just can't help looking and dreaming.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3761 on: May 20, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »

Stopped by GP Cycles in San Diego this afternoon and oogled their badass collection of bikes, including F4s, 990 Butales, RSVs, Shivers, RC8s, SDs, 1198 SPs, etc...the Brutale was more comfy that my SF... Grin

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #3762 on: May 20, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »

...the Brutale was more comfy that my SF... Grin

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
 Evil

You know you want to. 

No really, you do

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3763 on: May 20, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
 Evil

You know you want to. 

No really, y [evil]ou do

if there was dealer in Hawaii I'd be tempted...

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3764 on: May 20, 2011, 10:56:23 PM »

Evil

You know you want to. 

No really, you do

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: