Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 06:24:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 514705 times)
teddy037.2
« Reply #675 on: May 10, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »

So I take it you never heard back from the bastards?

nope, but mac said he saw the girl wearing new rubber when he swung by later...  Huh?
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #676 on: May 10, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »

nope, but mac said he saw the girl wearing new rubber when he swung by later...  Huh?

It's just like me to unintentionally stir up trouble.  [moto]

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
teddy037.2
« Reply #677 on: May 10, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »

lol, I just want the bike back is all
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #678 on: May 10, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »

I dropped the clip-ons down about 1/4" to 3/8" and had to sweep them back a bit due to lack of clearance. Hoo-boy!
Power steering!! --- I think the rear sweep is what did it.  I have to get a file out and clean off some inside edges of the bars so they can clear the sides of the top triples.

Having great fun with the Monster these days.

Relisted the  Gixxer, dropped the price a bit and included pictures. Had four bites the first day and today got a $400.00 cash deposit on the full asking price. The deal should go down later this week. Another guy is waiting  with full price if the deposit guy falls through, in fact the second guy wanted to do a cash deal today to cut out the first guy but I said that ain't kosher.

Got an extended ride on an 848 today. Interesting.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
« Reply #679 on: May 10, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

Sweet man, congrats on getting what you were asking for, or at least sort of.  How much did you drop from the price on the original add?

And what did you think of the 848?  I am assuming it wasn't Rich's and you actually got to see what it did through a turn.  Wink
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #680 on: May 10, 2009, 10:01:46 PM »

interesting....  I look forward to the continued bikey drama  waytogo

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »

Sweet man, congrats on getting what you were asking for, or at least sort of.  How much did you drop from the price on the original add?

And what did you think of the 848?  I am assuming it wasn't Rich's and you actually got to see what it did through a turn.  Wink

I dropped $700.00 ----- It was still on highest side of all the resale value figures.  Similar bikes on ebay have sold for lots less or not at all. Some folks came in real low on their offers and I told them I'd be happy to ride the bike another year and I'd still sell it for more than they were offering.

I have mixed thoughts on the 848 and I'm sorting through them. Since you know me you know that may take a while. It's not as powerful or as torquey as I thought it might be. It does have very manageable power and that makes it very easy to ride. The early magazine reports listed it as having a similar hp/weight ratio to a 999 so you would think it would accelerate at a similar rate. Oddly, it is no where near the animal that the 999 is. It does turn but still not as good (easily) as the Gixxer. It's nearly like the 1198 but without the big torque. I'll have more to say later. While I could live with it very easily I'm not as instantly in love with it as I thought I might be. Today anyway.

teddy037.2
« Reply #682 on: May 11, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

so I got 'er back yesterday... no shenanigans, just rode home.

lordy do those pilots want to just fall into turns. it was spooky, esp. that 1st right I took leaving the parking lot
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #683 on: May 11, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »

so I got 'er back yesterday... no shenanigans, just rode home.

lordy do those pilots want to just fall into turns. it was spooky, esp. that 1st right I took leaving the parking lot

I think you'll come to love those tires.  They made a world of difference to the 999 and to the Monster as well.

teddy037.2
« Reply #684 on: May 11, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »

I think you'll come to love those tires.  They made a world of difference to the 999 and to the Monster as well.

i'm sure I will, they do seem the popular choice...
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2009, 10:06:06 PM »

I'm officially down to one bike again.  popcorn    drink popcorn

DRKWNG
« Reply #686 on: May 12, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »

Cool man, glad that worked out for you. 

One thing that I had wondered about the 848, was would I be happy with one considering it didn't have that big torquey punch.  That is the one thing that I absolutely LOVE about the SC is the way it snaps you back, and with that in mind I think I would be happier with a 1098/1098S/1198.  But alas, I am no longer in the market for getting something new.

Think you might try to make a move on a 999S?  Wink

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:11:44 AM by DRKWNG » Logged
teddy037.2
« Reply #687 on: May 12, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »

if it's even still there...
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #688 on: May 12, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »

Cool man, glad that worked out for you. 

One thing that I had wondered about the 848, was would I be happy with one considering it didn't have that big torquey punch.  That is the one thing that I absolutely LOVE about the SC is the way it snaps you back, and with that in mind I think I would be happier with a 1098/1098S/1198.  But alas, I am no longer in the market for getting something new.

Think you might try to make a move on a 999S?  Wink

One thing you have to remember about a 999 is that I've been there & done that.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't do it again but the 848/1098 is a better bike in a lot of respects.  They are cooler engine temp & exhaust temp wise. Check out pics of 999's. Note how the top of the vertical cylinder head is exposed. That isn't the case on the old 916/996 style bikes or the new bikes. There are body work covers over the heads. The 999 looks good with the exposed head but that thing generates heat that roasts the inside of your thigh.  The 848/1098 also turns better right out of the box and I reckon with a little suspension twidling could be made even better. I could go get my old 999 back, which looks way better than the Black one and has more mods. If it came to that I'd just about as soon do that than go hassle with the South Seas guys.

More coming on the 848 ride but one thing about the torque. The big bike torque is all good in a straight line or more broad curves but I think it works against you in tight corners and, duh, look what most of our corners are. You would just have to work harder and pay lots more attention with the big bikes. Hmmm.....

That 900 Monster is still looking pretty good.

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #689 on: May 12, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »

Oh, here's an interesting thought.

Last year when I sold the 999 I just about cried when it rolled away.

When the Suzuki left last night I was just flat neutral. It didn't bother me a bit.  I didn't even watch it go but I heard it. The kid was already wacking the throttle at the stop sign........  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: