Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 03:13:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 536622 times)
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3225 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »

Gene & I went over Tantalus at a moderate pace. I had to slow way down as I was getting tire slide front & rear and it was a DRY road.

Come to think of it, you did look like you were tiptoeing a bit in spots...

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #3226 on: December 04, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »

Come to think of it, you did look like you were tiptoeing a bit in spots...

Not exactly confidence inspiring at this point.   Tongue   Like I said I hope they get better with break in but I don't recall having to go through that a year or so ago when I had the Power Roads installed. They were good right from the get go.  Memories dim and maybe I wasn't used to riding in the same style at that time.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #3227 on: December 05, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »

What's your opinion? You're running on them, right?

when they warm up on dry roads i think they are great. on wet roads i feel them slide more then the stock dragons that it came with. but that is most likely do to the fact that i am going a bit faster then i did with the old tires. truth be told, I simply  just dont have much experience on other tires to really compare them too.

it is so much easier to get forgiveness then it will ever be to get permission.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3228 on: December 05, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »

Fantastic day for a motorbike ride, and ride we did... [moto]...thanks for coming out to play Rick and Jing... waytogo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:17:26 PM by Gene V » Logged

hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #3229 on: December 05, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »

got up at 6 am detailed the 848 till almost 8 am then decided i really didnt feel like riding for an hour to the toys for tots ride just to be hot in a large group of people that i dont really know. was strongly considering meeting up with jose at big city dinner to ride with them but just didnt have the energy to get ready.

it is so much easier to get forgiveness then it will ever be to get permission.
WillS

« Reply #3230 on: December 05, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »

i chose to enter the annual turkey trot trail race instead of the toys for tots.  i bruised some ribs and took out some aggression, i think i made the right choice.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3231 on: December 05, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »

when they warm up on dry roads i think they are great. on wet roads i feel them slide more then the stock dragons that it came with. but that is most likely do to the fact that i am going a bit faster then i did with the old tires. truth be told, I simply  just dont have much experience on other tires to really compare them too.

All you have to do is remember your impressions. I had super old databases to work with up until 4 or 5 years ago. That is I didn't have any experience with any modern tire until that time. I had old Pilot Roads on a Monster that I replaced with Pilot Powers. Total Transformation.  I had shitty DOT Track worn tires on a 999 that I replaced with Pilot Powers. Total Transformation for the better although the profile on the rear was so steep on the sides that I could never wear the chicken strips to the edge of the tire. I had Bridgestone OEM BT-016 Battleaxes on the Gixxer 750. A good tire for sure but the handling on that bike was light years better than the modified Monster and the tuned 999 so I couldn't tell that much about the tires. The whole package was so good it ripped my eyes open about how a bike should handle. Then I got the 848 with it's stock Pirelli Corsas (3's ?)  Good tires for sure but hamstrung by the stock suspension.  Due to a ripping flat in the rear tire I changed to Pilot Powers again. I don't exactly know where in there I switched out the rear shock to the Ohlins but I remember being immediately comfortable with the Powers. Then with the total suspension change on the 848 I had no chicken strips on the rear and damn near none on the front.  Whhooo Rhaaah.  The Pilot Pures have a  steeper "V" profile on them than the Powers and so I haven't burned off the chicken strips and might not. Doesn't really matter. The Pures are starting to work but I can't say they are better than the regular first version of the Powers, not just yet anyway. The fronts are still a bit skatey but the rear is working good now and both were solid for 75+ around the inside of the Pali U downhill today. Not even a sweat and felt like there was much more for the asking but it's only the second day on the tires so I wasn't going to push them or myself.

All you can do is continue to pay attention to how the bike feels and what it does under whatever different circumstances. That, and how it all plays out over time with different bikes and tires. That is where conning your friends for test drives on their bikes works out.  laughingdp
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:38:39 AM by mac900 » Logged

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3232 on: December 05, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »

Oh,  then I came home and put up the outside Christmas lights, bought a tree and almost have it set up.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3233 on: December 05, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »

Oh,  then I came home and put up the outside Christmas lights, bought a tree and almost have it set up.

You've got a lot of energy for an older guy, I came home and took a nap...but then I cooked dinner and the wifey forced me to go shopping afterwards...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:08:27 AM by Gene V » Logged

sta

'95 ZX6R sold '07 Monster S2R1K

« Reply #3234 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »

Yeah, i napped too!  I was definitely tired and it was hard to keep up with you two young boys!  Cheesy
DRKWNG
« Reply #3235 on: December 06, 2010, 02:58:23 AM »

I went to the shooting range, then had a hell burger with Laughn. 

No more riding here, as the day time highs are in the 30s.   boo
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3236 on: December 06, 2010, 08:42:48 AM »

Yeah, i napped too!  I was definitely tired and it was hard to keep up with you two young boys!  Cheesy

You noticed that the guy on the Streetfighter is getting a little more comfortable up on Tantalus and is having more confidence in the bike and himself, huh?  [moto]  waytogo

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3237 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »

You noticed that the guy on the Streetfighter is getting a little more comfortable up on Tantalus and is having more confidence in the bike and himself, huh?  [moto]  waytogo

Like I was telling Jing over lunch, a good portion of it is having a really good rider to follow, showing the lines, braking/downshifting points, etc...plus that ride a week ago on the Hyper S was a great confidence booster...still a bit shaky in spots though, but having lots of fun... Grin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:49:46 AM by Gene V » Logged

DRKWNG
« Reply #3238 on: December 06, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »

a good portion of it is having a really good rider to follow, showing the lines, braking/downshifting points, etc...

Werd!
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #3239 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

Werd!

First you need to find a good rider to follow.  laughingdp  DRKWNG has had a front row seat watching me overcook corners and almost take a Hyper right off the road.   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: