Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 02, 2024, 06:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 421   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 536211 times)
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3525 on: February 26, 2011, 05:33:01 PM »

Sold my old mountain bike to some autocross dude. 

Blue WRX, name is Ryan - know him, Gene?

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3526 on: February 26, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »

Blue WRX, name is Ryan - know him, Gene?

Looking over the last event race results I see that we have five Ryans, none of which compete in a Blue WRX, so I may know him, or may not...asian, caucasian, short, tall, red headed, tats or not?...Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
DRKWNG
« Reply #3527 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »

The Bianchi?
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3528 on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »

Talking about MTBs ... what would you recommend for me to 're-take' the sport ... being almost 2 yrs of a bike ... I had a 15yrs old Haro Impasse that saw 3 equipment upgrades[not including OEM] ... and had two sets of wheels, one for the street and one for trails ...  Frame size was 16" or 17" don't remember ... me not too tall ... or long legs ...

Me really lost on today's MTBs ... no need for something fancy but something that has a bit of everything ...

You can pm me if you want ...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3529 on: February 27, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »

Looking over the last event race results I see that we have five Ryans, none of which compete in a Blue WRX, so I may know him, or may not...asian, caucasian, short, tall, red headed, tats or not?...Grin

Relatively light skinned, but not all haole, no noticeable tats, probably just under 6' ish, thin, early 20s, blah blah blah.  Doesn't really matter when it comes down to it, i suppose.  Just a curiosity.

eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3530 on: February 27, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »

The Bianchi?

That was my commuter -  sold it to a coworker when I built up the Cielo.  This was a black Santa Cruz Chameleon.

... what would you recommend for me to 're-take' the sport ...

Me really lost on today's MTBs ... no need for something fancy but something that has a bit of everything ...

Sooooo many possibilities.  I loved the Chameleon I just sold, and it did exactly that - got me back into mountain biking.  It was heavy and deliberately slow, but infinitely confidence inspiring because of it.  Not to blow off the question, but it's just so wide.  Any budget idea?

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3531 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »

That was my commuter -  sold it to a coworker when I built up the Cielo.  This was a black Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Sooooo many possibilities.  I loved the Chameleon I just sold, and it did exactly that - got me back into mountain biking.  It was heavy and deliberately slow, but infinitely confidence inspiring because of it.  Not to blow off the question, but it's just so wide.  Any budget idea?

$500.00 tops

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3532 on: February 27, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »

A used Specialized Stumpjumper would be fun.  Used Santa Cruz Chameleons and Hecklers are somewhat plentiful and inexpensive, but perhaps a smidge out of your price range. 

Almost anything made with decent steel - maybe consider no suspension in that case. 

Single speeds are popular, but I don't love them, especially as an only bike.  If it's appealing, Surly makes some neat stuff cheap, especially used, but they may be hard to find around you.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3533 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »

i can get my hands in new Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Schwinn, Specialized and some other that are either, the $99.99 type or custom built/special order to the US or wherever they're made ...

I don't care for  28 sp, disc brakes or full suspension or Alu frame or CF or Mg, maybe front suspension and V-Brakes with LX or LTX hardware or if in the price XT ... As said, my bike lasted almost 17 yrs and the upgrades were mostly done to bearings, pinions[for better/faster gearing], steering bars and steering bar ends but always kept my Shimano LX hardware ... never failed ... Thing is, Haro is longer available and European brands are vewy vewy expensive plus sorry, I don't trust anyone selling a used MTB here ... way to abused or neglected ...

I usually install a road race bike's large sprocket to have better paved road speed ...

Tks ...

Carlos
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3534 on: February 27, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »

I hadn't considered the un-viability of used bikes in your area.

You might be able to find a sale on a Specialized Rockhopper or Cannondale Trail.  Really, any of the big manufacturers make good stuff.  Schwinn has gone a little downhill since they started making Wal-Mart type bikes, but they do still make quality bikes as well.  And, they might get you a little more for your money, same with Raleigh or Jamis. 

Hard questions these are.  If there's a decent bike shop, go make friends and see what you can see.  If it's over, say, $350, it will last as long as you want it to, and if it fits your budget and appeals to you, you'll probably want it to last quite some time.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3535 on: February 27, 2011, 06:20:40 PM »

Relatively light skinned, but not all haole, no noticeable tats, probably just under 6' ish, thin, early 20s, blah blah blah.  Doesn't really matter when it comes down to it, i suppose.  Just a curiosity.

Don't recognize him, but then we get 120 drivers and I obviously don't know them all...

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3536 on: February 28, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »

I hadn't considered the un-viability of used bikes in your area.

You might be able to find a sale on a Specialized Rockhopper or Cannondale Trail.  Really, any of the big manufacturers make good stuff.  Schwinn has gone a little downhill since they started making Wal-Mart type bikes, but they do still make quality bikes as well.  And, they might get you a little more for your money, same with Raleigh or Jamis. 

Hard questions these are.  If there's a decent bike shop, go make friends and see what you can see.  If it's over, say, $350, it will last as long as you want it to, and if it fits your budget and appeals to you, you'll probably want it to last quite some time.

i'll have to find a new hangout in the meantime then .. to find a new set of two wheels ...

Carlos
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #3537 on: February 28, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »

The replacement brake lines arrived today and they even look like they'll fit. I hope I'm not speaking too soon.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #3538 on: March 04, 2011, 05:05:22 AM »

I'm still curious about those levers...

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #3539 on: March 04, 2011, 08:38:53 AM »

I'm still curious about those levers...

Me too.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 421   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: