Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 12:16:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ignition switch  (Read 8501 times)
Galway_Girl

i love rocks and dirt

« on: May 08, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »

this is my first post about something technical, so please try to be patient with me Embarrassed back in january (actually before that) anyway i had a rather difficult time starting my bike. once it started it was fine and all was right with the world. unfortunately, when i turned off my bike i had a very hard time starting it again, not a dead battery or out of gas nothing of the sort after moving the bike around it would magically start. i am thinking that my ignition switch is well just old Sad my question is does it need to be replaced or could it be corroded (if so could i clean it and it would be fine)? everything else on the bike is great, but it is a little embarrassing riding around and then wanting to stop only to have to pray that my bike will start again without looking like a idiot moving her bike all around.

thx to anyone that can give me some direction Smiley
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »

couple of questions:

year of bike?  Fuel injection?  Does your bike have an immobilizer?

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
Galway_Girl

i love rocks and dirt

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:28:20 AM »

couple of questions:

year of bike?  Fuel injection?  Does your bike have an immobilizer?

93-no-no
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »

when you try to start do the dash lights and headlight come on?  Does it make any noise like it's trying to start?  Or dash lights and headlight on but no noise at all of trying to start?  Does the bike start if you turn the bars one way (left or right)?

Galway_Girl

i love rocks and dirt

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »

when you try to start do the dash lights and headlight come on?  Does it make any noise like it's trying to start?  Or dash lights and headlight on but no noise at all of trying to start?  Does the bike start if you turn the bars one way (left or right)?

hi pakhan

thank you for responding Smiley all the lights come on no flickering, no noise and no it does not start if i try to move the bars.  it is like the bike is on its own riding & resting plan and we can go riding when it feels like it. r:e)
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:13 AM »

IF the lights are all working fine, chances are the ignition contacts are okay.  Top 3 to check would be: 1) is the starter button working properly, 2) are your plugs in good shape, and 3) are your battery strong enought.  If your battery is somewhat weak, all the lights and gizmos will work, but the bike won't start.
Galway_Girl

i love rocks and dirt

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »

IF the lights are all working fine, chances are the ignition contacts are okay.  Top 3 to check would be: 1) is the starter button working properly, 2) are your plugs in good shape, and 3) are your battery strong enought.  If your battery is somewhat weak, all the lights and gizmos will work, but the bike won't start.

hi cdawg

all of the things you pointed out, i have checked and all are working properly that is why i thought the switch may be making a slow exit.  it is the original switch i believe and it does not have any weird issues other than i press it and it starts when it wants.
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »

+1 ^

Check battery output, connection between battery/ starter/ starter button.  I wouldn't bother checking the plugs though, if it's not turning over the plugs are not the issue.  Because you say you have to move the bike around to start it I would guess a loose or corroded connection.

aaronb

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »

are you trying to start it in gear?  sidestand or clutch switch maybe?

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
Galway_Girl

i love rocks and dirt

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:17:36 AM »

+1 ^

Check battery output, connection between battery/ starter/ starter button.  I wouldn't bother checking the plugs though, if it's not turning over the plugs are not the issue.  Because you say you have to move the bike around to start it I would guess a loose or corroded connection.

I am really thinking the issue is corrosion or possibly loose, so i will be tackling this on sunday. to answer you question below i always start in neutral and it is not a sidestand or clutch issue.
ducrider45

Just Ride!

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »

Sory to be off topic, but I just wanted to say that I have been to Galway. great screen name. wt:

Cop: "That thing is so nasty I can't bring myself to write you a ticket."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
 those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
 Thomas Jefferson

Washington D.C. area riders check out CAM on the local boards.
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 04:27:17 PM »

Follow the wire up from your starter.  The other end of that wire is connected to your solenoid.  There is a small white connector that is easily disconnected and will cause the problems you're describing.  If that's OK, the other wire on the solenoid goes to your battery, make sure both ends of that are tight.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »

If Dan's idea doesn't work you may have a break in a wire in the harness running along the steering tube.  The clue there is if turning the bars makes a difference.  Be back in a little while.  I need to look something up and I don't want to time out.  OK, I'm back.  I reread the whole thread.  You have a '93, so no sidestand switch or safety relay.  There is a main relay under the seat.  When you lift the seat it is the little plastic box that does not make noise when you turn your directionals on.  Remove the relay, take a wire, and connect terminal 30 and 87.  All is good, the relay is the problem.  If that doesn't work, post a little about your ability, knowledge and tools so I can give you some more troubleshooting ideas.  Oh, while the bike is running does it ever stall when you turn the handle bars?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:12:31 PM by howie » Logged
Galway_Girl

i love rocks and dirt

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 09:28:18 AM »

Thank you to everyone for all their help, I played around with the issue for a bit on Sunday, but it was Sunday and you know that means riding.  I have to spend some more time during this week, I will look into what Dan and Howie are referring to and give you all an update.  Again many sincere thank you's! Ducrider you will have to tell me about your time in Galway as that is my clan's home, but let's do it in some other thread Wink

GG
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:44:35 AM »

Definitely keep us up to date with your issue.
I'd like to see how this one resolves.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: