Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh Mladin (VIR spoiler)  (Read 2725 times)
sh

« on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33814

Now, that's a real bummer for AMA and not just Mladin.  So much for the possible-nail-biter-to-the-end-1-point-gap-ama-championship-finale.

For those who know about such things, is this some anal rule thing or is it a legit competitive advantage giving Mladin those wins?

2005 749 Dark
2004 Monster 620ie (sold)
1992 900 SS
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »

IMO, this whole deal is payback.

The concept of Yosh knowingly using an illegal crank is laughable.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »

IMO, this whole deal is payback.

The concept of Yosh knowingly using an illegal crank is laughable.

I actually disagree here.  Derby and I were discussing this earlier and Yosh is definitely not shy about pushing the boundaries of legal.  Not too many years ago they were busted running aftermarket wheels on a SS bike.  And, while they were within the letter of the law on TC, they certainly were not in the spirit and in fact, vehemently denied they were using it all along (even tho EVERYONE knew it - it was obvious) and now they even act smug about those years.  There's a couple other incidents, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Anyhow, this doesn't even really end the championship, it was already over.  All Spies had to do was finish second in every race and he woulda won the championship, anything else was just icing on the gravy.  And third place is so far back it's laughable.

So, while I know there are a ton of conspiracy theorists out there who believe this is payback (Nick, you're FAR from alone in that opinion), I think it's just a factor of the tech inspectors actually taking their jobs seriously this year.  Hayes, Rapp 2x, Bostrom (wasn't guilty tho) and now Mladin (as well as many other, less-notable names.  It's hard to call it a witch hunt when they've been doing this all year and DQ'ing other riders since WAY before the whole DMG thing turned into a mess.
tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:15:30 AM »

Does anyone know who challenged Mladin's bike or does the AMA not need a challenge to tear down a bike?

It sucks for Matt though, but it's also dirty pool. Yoshimura Suzuki having dominated AMA superbike but still feel the need to cheat... what BS!
mikeb
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:50:45 AM »

Does anyone know who challenged Mladin's bike or does the AMA not need a challenge to tear down a bike?

I believe they tear down the winner.
derby

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:05:56 AM »

It sucks for Matt though, but it's also dirty pool. Yoshimura Suzuki having dominated AMA superbike but still feel the need to cheat... what BS!

I believe they tear down the winner.

not just the winner. they can, and do, tear down anybody they want. top 3 is usually a good bet.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:09:13 AM by derby » Logged

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
gm2

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:18:09 AM »

I actually disagree here.  Derby and I were discussing this earlier and Yosh is definitely not shy about pushing the boundaries of legal.  Not too many years ago they were busted running aftermarket wheels on a SS bike.  And, while they were within the letter of the law on TC, they certainly were not in the spirit and in fact, vehemently denied they were using it all along (even tho EVERYONE knew it - it was obvious) and now they even act smug about those years. 

mladin referring to that period of time directly:  http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33807

as you alluded to (and we've talked about) really seems much more tied to the fact that the new guys in tech are taking their jobs very seriously.  that was obvious starting with daytona...

Like this is the racing, no?
gm2

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 06:48:15 AM »

shocker: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Aug/e/n080822a.htm

tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 06:55:17 AM »

Sarcasm, definitely the pinnacle of wit Grin
tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »

mladin referring to that period of time directly:  http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33807

as you alluded to (and we've talked about) really seems much more tied to the fact that the new guys in tech are taking their jobs very seriously.  that was obvious starting with daytona...

Wow, Mat nearly comes off as human in that interview. Do you think he puts his leathers on one leg at a time or levitates into them?
gm2

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:01:40 AM »

i think his dislike of BS, skill at getting into the heads of his competitors, lack of interest in PR, and his willingness to always be himself, camera there or not, gives him this alleged public persona of being a dick.  to me he just seems like he wants to ride as hard as he can, win races, and go home.

tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »

i think his dislike of BS, skill at getting into the heads of his competitors, lack of interest in PR, and his willingness to always be himself, camera there or not, gives him this alleged public persona of being a dick.  to me he just seems like he wants to ride as hard as he can, win races, and go home.

Agreed, he's definitely one of my favorite racing personalities.
It's a shame to see him ending his AMA career on a sour note.
gm2

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 01:33:16 PM »

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Aug/08082266faq.htm
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33822
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33821
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:44:25 PM by gm2 » Logged

SP3

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »

Wow, Mat nearly comes off as human in that interview. Do you think he puts his leathers on one leg at a time or levitates into them?

Jumps off the couch like another semi-human.

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Monster 900 City
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: