Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 09, 2024, 12:17:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished RS (for now). Mini review of mods  (Read 6699 times)
Celli

Ducati Codatronca

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 06:11:48 AM »

Chris,

Impressive bike!  waytogo waytogo waytogo

Ducati Codatronca: Concerto Molto Vivante!
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

Can't believe you guys spend all the time and money on you bikes. I'm glad I've left mine stock.

God what I wouldn't give for those BST wheels though. Almost 4 large that's what I wouldn't give, because I don't have 4 large.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Pancake81

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »

looking good buddy  waytogo

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »

hey Statler, bump for my last post?

i'm thinking of going for the entire speeymoto top/bottom triple clamp. any chance you can post some pics of the clamps and your controls? i read your review but now it's been a couple of months do you think they made a difference?

please read my last post with a couple of questions...

thanks

sorry...don't allways get to each part of the forum timely....pest with a PM if you ever have a question about something I post...I don't subscribe to threads as I'd be swamped...  but to the quesitons:

The clipons have been on for over a year....certainly made track riding better.   I'm one of the strange folk who finds the stock bars just too tall and far away.  higher and closer would be ok, or lower.  I went lower.   I find them much more comfortable than stock because I can just drop my elbows down to my knees instead of stretching out.   If you ride elbows locked they'll kill your wrists, but if you ride arms bent (better anyway) they are fine.   I'm going to drop them the extra inch or so to where the forks flair out as they are still a little to high.

I'll look for some pictures and if I don't have any I'll take some this week.

The bike definately does not feel upright standard anymore.   With the ass end up a bit (I'm on tip toes now), the lower bars, and the higher and slightly back rearsets, some people just don't fit.   'monsterlover' rode it at DIMBY (find the dimby thread in no moto content) and couldn't wat to get off...he just didn't fit the bike (he's easily three and a half feet taller than I am).

If you find a 1098 comfortable (I do) then it's like that but without the nice tank shape to hook a leg into.

Chris

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

God what I wouldn't give for those BST wheels though. Almost 4 large that's what I wouldn't give, because I don't have 4 large.

LA

3 large ought to do it but your pain is known to me. Grin

hydra- reviews on the SM tc setup are varied.  I'm in the camp that it made my front end stiffer (a good thing) but with the Ohlins front end on my S4RS I don't think it made a $1k difference.  If you're after the cosmetic impact (and who isn't? (other than LA- waytogo)) you could save a bundle and just have your stock tc powdercoated, or buy a used stock tc; powder coat that; and swap it out for your original.  I will say that the bearings in the SM tc set made for a slightly nicer turn from the bars but those can be had seperately for a lot less coin than a full tc set.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 02:28:27 PM »

The clipons have been on for over a year....certainly made track riding better.   I'm one of the strange folk who finds the stock bars just too tall and far away.  higher and closer would be ok, or lower.  I went lower.   I find them much more comfortable than stock because I can just drop my elbows down to my knees instead of stretching out.   If you ride elbows locked they'll kill your wrists, but if you ride arms bent (better anyway) they are fine.   I'm going to drop them the extra inch or so to where the forks flair out as they are still a little to high.

I'll look for some pictures and if I don't have any I'll take some this week.

The bike definately does not feel upright standard anymore.   With the ass end up a bit (I'm on tip toes now), the lower bars, and the higher and slightly back rearsets, some people just don't fit.   'monsterlover' rode it at DIMBY (find the dimby thread in no moto content) and couldn't wat to get off...he just didn't fit the bike (he's easily three and a half feet taller than I am).

If you find a 1098 comfortable (I do) then it's like that but without the nice tank shape to hook a leg into.

Chris

hey chris, thanks for replying...i really appreciate your impressions on that set up. i'm feeling like i want to be more forward overall. i do most of my riding in the twisties and lucky for me i don't have to do too much hwy riding to get to any. and having taken her on the track, and feeling very capable, i feel she'll be my track bike for awhile until i can get a dedicated bike.

unfortunately, no one can really tell how new bars or clip on's are going to feel until one has done a 100 miles or so. but it's nice to hear from some one who really ride's their bike... [moto]

russ

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »

hydra- reviews on the SM tc setup are varied.  I'm in the camp that it made my front end stiffer (a good thing) but with the Ohlins front end on my S4RS I don't think it made a $1k difference.  If you're after the cosmetic impact (and who isn't? (other than LA- waytogo)) you could save a bundle and just have your stock tc powdercoated, or buy a used stock tc; powder coat that; and swap it out for your original.  I will say that the bearings in the SM tc set made for a slightly nicer turn from the bars but those can be had seperately for a lot less coin than a full tc set.
thanks for your input crex! i'm thinking the SM TC will do justice to my showa's. i can't afford a set of new forks, so a re-valve, a little higher quality and stiffer top/bottom TC would be sufficient for how far i want to take the S4. who know's i'm still figuring it out...

but i do want to put clip ons pretty soon as i want to be slightly more forward. i'm thinking speedymoto triple (maybe just the top for now) and LSL clip ons.

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
thruxton

2007 S4Rs

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 07:30:48 AM »

I thought I'd share the things done so far with a mini review of how they changed the bike (FOR ME... your results may vary and this is a VERY personal thing... so this is my bike and if you don't like it I don't care... nya nya nya  )   

So here's the rundown to date:

DP Termignoni kit, ECU etc.    Experience changing modification that completely tranforms the S4RS riding experience.  Must have.

BST wheels.   Experience changing modification that completely transorms the riding experience.  Worth more than one and a half Termi kits?   Sure.   Not for a new rider (neither is the RS itself I suppose).  The thing turns like a 250 but not too many of them have 130 rwhp.  I know it's subjective, but roll ons feel sooooo much stronger.  It wheelies much more readily on the gas.   Watch that first inside curb is right... damn it turns fast.

Chris

thanks for the write up. the full termi-ecu-dyno was the second thing i did (after basic suspension set-up). wouldn't ride my Rs without a steering damper either and like the top mount as i can turn it in or out a few clicks depending upon city vs windy freeway.

next itch has been wheels. major $$$ and wanted to be sure i was not being silly. i trust your assessment and love the 5 spoke vs the newer wagon wheel 7 spoke. i'm pulling out my credit card as soon as i find a pair.
RavnMonster

05 S4R

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »

I agree.. i like the 5 spoke much better. they are basically the same as my S4R wheels but in CF.. this may be next year's big money mod.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
-- Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: