Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 09, 2024, 02:20:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished RS (for now). Mini review of mods  (Read 6706 times)
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« on: February 05, 2008, 07:51:38 AM »

I thought I'd share the things done so far with a mini review of how they changed the bike (FOR ME... your results may vary and this is a VERY personal thing... so this is my bike and if you don't like it I don't care... nya nya nya  )   

So here's the rundown to date:

DP Termignoni kit, ECU etc.    Experience changing modification that completely tranforms the S4RS riding experience.  Must have.

BST wheels.   Experience changing modification that completely transorms the riding experience.  Worth more than one and a half Termi kits?   Sure.   Not for a new rider (neither is the RS itself I suppose).  The thing turns like a 250 but not too many of them have 130 rwhp.  I know it's subjective, but roll ons feel sooooo much stronger.  It wheelies much more readily on the gas.   Watch that first inside curb is right... damn it turns fast.

Speedymoto complete triple with tapered bearings.   Nice modification that makes me happy, but not mind blowing.   I've got myself convinced that when I'm really on it over rippled stuff that perhaps the frequency of the bike's vibrations and shimmy has lessened and changed, but I will admit that may be in my head.  It sure was stable at the track.

Cyclecat clipons below the triple.   For me made the bike soooooo much more comfortable, and not just in the twisties.  My arms fall naturally to their height and I've got them adjusted for rake, tilt, and height to where the bike is absolutely mine.   This is one of the best things I've done.

Speedymoto Clutch cover (Alien), pressure plate, and springs and caps.   OK... got me... purely cosmetic and aural.  I love it and I'm tempted to buy some Alien covers to stock up on for future bikes because I like it so much.  Actually, the cover may come into play as stronger... see waterpump housing.

CRG shorty "roll-a-click" levers.   Bike changing if not experience changing.   I like the two finger lever for the brakes.  I tend to still use two and a half to three fingers for the clutch (they kind of fit three fingers).   More adjustment (and so much easier) than stock so when you're riding for a while and want to change it's easy on the fly.   Along with this comes rotating the controls waaaay down from their stock position so that my wrists are at the correct angle.  Stock is too high and anyone with hand/wrist pain should rotate the controls down before buying expensive alternative fixes.

Carbon short tail by DP.  Purely cosmetic and a nice alternative to no tail chop.   Carbon chain guards.  Got rid of the big ugly plastic ones.
Paulimoto front sprocket cover.  Got rid of ugly grey plastic stock one.

Speedymoto waterpump housing.  Part cosmetic (I'm adding more black where I can to the motor) and part strength.  I have decided against frame sliders  (lets not start an argument over this one please) so the clutch cover and this waterpump housing may help just a little bit in a lowside at the track (fingers crossed).

DML crankshaft cover.   Every bike should have one (until there's a DMF cover   Grin). 

Mirrors... currently rizoma 851.  Used to be sport classic accessory bar ends which I loved, but they won't fit on my CC clipons.  I like the rizomas OK, but their filed of view is not that great.  They look stunning and I'm keeping them.  For the street one is adjusted for sitting up and one for a bit of a crouch.   Mirrors are so subjective that they need no further comment.

Ohlins side-mount steering damper.   With the BSTs I would put this as must have.   One the ride home from getting the BSTs, which was 80 percent highway anyway, the number of times the front wheel was just barely skimming the pavement was more than in my last five rides combined.   It's a nice piece of kit and absolutely makes a difference.  For an s2r I might waffle on priorities, but for a Termi kitted RS, and now one with carbon wheels, this is a must have.     The more I've been riding with it, including track time, the more I think it was a good idea.

Dark smoke ZG screen.  Purely cosmetic.   If I hadn't gotten such a great package deal from Motowheels I would have painted the inside of the stock windscreen.  But I love the look and think it makes huge differene to the front of the bike's aesthetics.

EZpass transmitter stuck to inside left of fairing.  Why would anyone wait in a line to stop and get cash out of a sleeve pocket?  Absolute mandatory mod.

The ride height rod has half an inch extra on it (tip toe for me at stops but absolutely worth it while moving).   I personally am three clicks harder on compression in front, one click harder rebound in front, two clicks harder compression in rear, and one click harder rebound in rear from stock.  Static sag set on both ends (little bit harder on preload both ends but very little). 

Sato Racing rearsets.   I waited exactly twelve months for Cyclecat after ordering.    The Satos are gorgeous.   Two things stand out that make them a ride changing modification.   The pegs are aggressively knurled and have a raised little ridged rim that really helps your boot stick to them.   The shifting is so much more positive too.   Very positive in feel.   

Things like the rearsets, clipons, crgs, BSTs, Termi kit,  each incrimentally take little bits of slop out of the controls.   I've posted frequently about why it's not the power of the bike that makes it not for beginners but the immediacy of the controls.  It's less forgiving to bad rider input but much more fun with correct rider input.   Crisp fueling, immediate brakes, fast turning.

I'm sure I forgot something so there will likely be an edit to this.

edit: forgot this:  removed emmisions canister and brackets and relocated horn diectly to motor.   

Cheapest but hardest mod:  getting the rider down from 215 to 170.   Made the suspension work sooooo much better.  Riding experience changing modification that is a must have.  170 now but it's an ongoing process.

In 2008 the only thing being modified is the rider.  More track days.  More lifting and jogging.

Ride safe and hard and fun,

Chris

Oh...some pics:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:12:19 PM by Statler » Logged

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
NuTTs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 03:25:33 PM »

Shocked Shocked

Beautiful Rs Chris, I truly really miss mine now.. If I end up buying a third one it´s your fault  Grin
S4RSSS

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »

very tastefully done mods all around. those sato rearsets look sweet! how "adjustable" are they? and what brand/model is that rear chain-guard, does it work better or worse compared to the stock one?
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »

Shocked Shocked
Beautiful Rs Chris, I truly really miss mine now.. If I end up buying a third one it´s your fault  Grin

I can't let him take ALL the blame so I am stepping up to help out!!  mo:t:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:54:19 AM by hypurone » Logged

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Juan

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »

Sweet looking bike..!!

mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »

Oh you guys are killing me!  My Tricolore is too stock now. What to do, what to do . . . Seems like the full Termis with the DP ECU are by far the best setup, especially for how the ECU transforms the bike's overall running manners.  And the look is fantastic, especially without the tail chop.  The cans seem a bit longish on one that's had its tail chopped, and I don't plan on hacking up the Tricolore to any great degree.  Any suggestions on how else to trick it out without taking away from the uniqueness of the Tricolore scheme?  Awesome RSs, guys!

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
m1moto

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »

Very very nice, I like all the black details

2006 S2R1K  |  Red + White  |  Full Carbon Arrows
http://freshbrand.com/
Cider

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

What to do, what to do

For my bike, cans/PCIII didn't make much of difference in power or tractability.  However, they are such a dramatic improvement in looks and sound that they rank high on the enjoyment scale.  If they also improve the RS's power-delivery, I'd say it's almost a no-brainer.
johnster

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »

Ugghhh  those BST's..... Shocked

Why am I feeling poor right now?? That would soooo be my next big mod if I could afford 'em.... Cry

-Really Beautiful S4RS BTW!!   wt:

**edit** How do you like the Sato's Statler?? I've been searching for a pair of rearsets for my old lady (S4) preferably either Sato or Cyclecat, but no luck.....I feel like aftermarket bits are tough to come by for the ol' 916 Monster.... Undecided
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:56:18 PM by Johnster » Logged

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »

Looks great Chris!

If I may make one suggestion. Paint/powdercoat the exhaust hanger. It's a cheap mod and it wont make it stand out as much.  wt:

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
duc996

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:08:23 AM »

Well done  wt:

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »

If I may make one suggestion. Paint/powdercoat the exhaust hanger. It's a cheap mod and it wont make it stand out as much.  wt:

good idea.   

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »

Looks great Chris!

do your rearsets while you're at it.  Cheesy

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:03:40 PM »

very very tasty and damn clean too!!!

could you please post a couple more shots of the triple tree/handle bars/levers setup from a couple of different angles?
i love the look of the clip ons below the TT. how more leaned in does it feel over stock? does it still have an upright feel or more sport bike?

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »

hey Statler, bump for my last post?

i'm thinking of going for the entire speeymoto top/bottom triple clamp. any chance you can post some pics of the clamps and your controls? i read your review but now it's been a couple of months do you think they made a difference?

please read my last post with a couple of questions...

thanks

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: