Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I found Cool Shite for you on craigslist thread.  (Read 94053 times)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »

Yeah... see, the seat thing to some degree that indicates I should just keep the SS.  I've lowered the pegs so my knees don't bother me at all.  I can order a Throttlemeister so my throttle wrist doesn't kill me anymore.  I can even go so far as to get the Speedymoto raised & adjustable clipons.  Throw in a custom seat, or a Sargent, and proceed to rack up the miles.  There's some dewd down in Florida who's put around 100k miles on a '99 or '00 900SS, sport touring all over the bloody place.

My biggest hangup with the Cagiva is getting hosed on the value.  Mine's worth at least $6k, maybe $6500, considering that it has documentation (including maintenance logbook) and a bunch of OE parts.  It hasn't been riced out, stunted, or any crap like that.  All mods have been "OEM+", in keeping with the original owner's theme.

In contrast, outside of MotoCorsa that Cag is worth $5k-$5500.  Even if I could get them to do a straight trade, I'm basically throwing away $1000.  Now granted, the Cagiva includes (according to their ad) all three cases, whereas the SS has no luggage right now.  I could swap back to the stock tail section and it would accommodate a full set of Nelson-Rigg sportbike soft luggage (the "Silver Streak" line that matches my tankbag).

Gack.  Decisions, decisions.  bang head

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
scott_araujo

« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2009, 05:30:17 AM »

Sounds like a no brainer.  If you're going to lose $1000, I bet you could get all or most of the mods you mentioned for around that much and keep the SS.  Add to the equation that the SS just looks so much more sexy and I'd say keep the SS.  All other things being equal, the sexier bike wins.

Scott
duc_fan

« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »

Yeah, the ergo mods I mentioned come in at well under $1k.  Throttlemeister (black coated) is $130, Sargent seat is $350, Speedymoto clipons are $250; subtotal is $730.  I could use some knurled footpegs so my feet don't slip forward anymore, those are an additional $50.  That's it in the ergonomic department... everything else on my wishlist are hotrod parts... (radial master cylinders, lightened flywheel, better clutch pack, lighter wheels, and beastier brakes all have me salivating... not that I intend on flushing money on all those, but they're tempting nonetheless)

One thing I found out last weekend was that Todd at MotoCorsa was kinda blunt about the fact they won't do a trade on a used bike.  Must be wholesale in, retail out.  He tried to claim they could only ask $5500 or $6k retail for my bike... I didn't cough "bullsh!t" but I should have.  2 years ago they wanted $6k for a yellow half-fairing 750 sport with 18k miles and a lot more wear and tear than mine has.  These things have already depreciated what they're gonna lose off sticker, now the prices are dependent on condition.  Yeah, it's been 2 years... but y'all have seen my bike.  Throw in service manuals, maintenance log, a pile of receipts, OE parts... yeah, I'd wager if they had my bike it'd have a rediculously high price tag on it, closer to $7k (yes, that's a laughable price for an SS... but MotoCorsa ain't exactly known for rational prices on used bikes).

Anyway, Todd wasn't willing to seriously talk deal, so I'd be stuck with the hassle of trying to sell mine.

Now, the Cag has GREAT ergos.  The seat and bars felt nicer than a Multi, and the tank had a very natural feeling between the knees (no double entendres you wanks).  However... it had belts and fluids changed, but they have not done the valve check, and it's sitting at 6200 miles (10k km on the metric odo).  The rear shock has to come out in order to even begin to get to the vertical cylinder.  Another issue (and a big one for me, with wanting to go 2-up): no remote adjustment on the preload.  That rear shock is buried, so adjusting preload would be a royal PITA.  Nor was I able to find an aftermarket option with adjustable preload.  Another minor quibble: the Cag, while in very nice cosmetic condition for a 9 year old bike, was not immaculate.  They may have the complete service history, but for a non-showroom-condition bike that still needs the valves checked they're asking quite a bit of money at $6k.

The new Multi 1100's have quite a bit more power, all of them have remote adjustable rear preload, and they have roughly equal carrying capacity.  A near-new 1100S (a whopping 85 miles) was in West Linn a couple weeks ago... it went for $9500.  Since I'm hosed on the value of mine vs. the Cagiva anyway, I'm going to stick with the SS until I can afford a Multi.  It's going to take me a while, what with trying to buy a house, but I need to do what's right by my budget while still enjoying the ride.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering... I haven't just gone out and bought a Multi yet because I refuse to fund a motorcycle (read: toy) with debt.  Sure, I could easily make the monthly payments on my engineer's salary, but I'm trying to avoid throwing money down a rathole in the form of interest.  At least when I waste it on parts, I have something tangible to show for it.  Also, having a new vehicle loan whilst applying for a mortgage has been advised against by bankers, brokers, and real estate agents.  House purchase takes priority.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

scott_araujo

« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »

Dan, I think the Cagiva being nine years old and not nearly as sexy as the SS makes the decision.  If you want that style of bike I'd say it's worth buying the Multi.  Snappier looking bike and Ryan says he really digs the remote preload adjust.  I'd think about it if I wasn't about to have a baby and my Monster didn't look so sexy Wink  Also, Ohlins suspension all around is a serious upgrade instead of just a lateral trade.

Scott
desmosome

« Reply #304 on: August 06, 2009, 10:05:21 AM »

Buy a project bike for under 300 dollars.

You will enjoy fixing it yourself, and the money will slowly bleed out over time (kinda like loan payments).

And you run the risk of never get it working and wasting all your money and time.

However, if you don't have a GF it gives you something to do.

Also it will occupy the majority of your free mind, learning, obsessing, etc.... until you find something else to obsess on.

Lets face it, as a male, we have to obsess on something.

And a box of parts and a rolling frame is just the ticket to keep you too busy and too obsessed to obsess about other things.

lol

my 2c/OCD personal experience

scott_araujo

« Reply #305 on: August 06, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »

Speaking of that John, how hard is it to find a restorable Honda twin for a few hundred?  Something that's popular enough to easily find parts for; I'm thinking between 160 and 400ccs.  I'd like to put one in the garage and just putter away on it over time.  Not sure I'd make a race bike, probably more like a near stock budget restore for a daily driver.  Then again, I could sell the Ducati and probably finance the bike and a few seasons of racing.  I rarely break 50mph on my trek to and from work.  I just really like the Honda twins, dead simple and clean with little engines designed like a Swiss watch.

Scott
bnbmike

« Reply #306 on: August 06, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »

. . .dead simple and clean with little engines designed like a Swiss watch.

Don't you mean, Japanese version of a Swiss watch?  It's called a Seiko and is battery powered, not mechanical, like a real Swiss watch.  Just like the Japanese version of a BMW 2002 is called a Datsun 510.

Oh, and I have a pet peeve for using mixed comparative analogies.

Had 2001 Monster 750 Dark, last of the carbby's.
Has 2011 Multistrada 1200 ST
desmosome

« Reply #307 on: August 06, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »

[edit] i thought most watches were battery powered....

Find any old CB (pres 72?) less than 250 cc and you could race it in V2 class

V2 typically runs 160-175s

I was thinking something small for a street bike so I can rail on it ever time I ride it without being a hooligan.

but that will be another project...

As for the resto...

depends on what you want to do... just keep an eye on CL

I have seen Mark fix a CB750 with massive electrical problems with a pair of scissors some electrical tape and screw driver.

can always stop by the "garage" if you need help

PM me for details or drop on by

ALSO ask around on hodatwins.com (mawks website)
scott_araujo

« Reply #308 on: August 06, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »

I have seen Mark fix a CB750 with massive electrical problems with a pair of scissors some electrical tape and screw driver.

Yeah, but he's Mark. Wink

I may need to stop by the garage if I can get ahead on the home improvement projects.  Spare time is short these days.

Scott
desmosome

« Reply #309 on: August 06, 2009, 01:39:37 PM »

Yeah, but he's Mark. Wink

I may need to stop by the garage if I can get ahead on the home improvement projects.  Spare time is short these days.

Scott

yeah well he just bypassed the electrical system entirely and hot wired the bike

eventually he hooked up a toggle switch
marvellous

I used to have a Titanium member...

« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2009, 02:49:30 AM »

Hey Scott, we have a nice CB400A for sale: $200... but we're in Bend and it's an automatic (still think it'd be perfect for riding around town, just get on and go)... was going to restore it into the coolest/slowest cafe racer ever, but alas, too many new house projects and that's draining all of our finances for the next few years... heh  If interested, see this thread for pics: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=8437.0 and just msg me from there!  Smiley

My baby Duc 'Cara' - 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark Mods • CRG Lanesplitters • Rhinomoto Bar-end Sliders • DP Gel Seat • Dark Seat Cowl • 14t AFAM Light Front Sprocket • CompWerks Tailchop • Smoke Clear Alt Taillight Kit with Integrated Blinkers • Smoke Clear Alt Turnsignal Kit • QuatD Ceramic Coated ExBox Exhaust • Soon to be Mods • Carbon Hugger •
scott_araujo

« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »

Thanks Marv.  Don't want an automatic, I'm kinda looking for something more traditional.  Though a cafe racer with five spokes and a front disc would be kinda neat Smiley

My time and money are getting sucked dry by the house lately too.  I'm hoping if I can get a heap into the garage then I can take small bites of time and money as I go.  If I don't get it before the baby arrives it may be a while.  Gotta get a foot in the door so to speak.

Scott
marvellous

I used to have a Titanium member...

« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »

Totally understandable!  I had made a promise to myself when I got divorced that I was going to get a motorcycle prior to any serious relationship again to establish it (ex wouldn't let me get one)... Who knew that in that process, I'd find the love of my life, who ALREADY rode!!  Smiley

My baby Duc 'Cara' - 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark Mods • CRG Lanesplitters • Rhinomoto Bar-end Sliders • DP Gel Seat • Dark Seat Cowl • 14t AFAM Light Front Sprocket • CompWerks Tailchop • Smoke Clear Alt Taillight Kit with Integrated Blinkers • Smoke Clear Alt Turnsignal Kit • QuatD Ceramic Coated ExBox Exhaust • Soon to be Mods • Carbon Hugger •
duc_fan

« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »

Oh yeah... I have a project.  Two, actually.

The '05 600RR.  But... it's pretty much done.  Shake-n-bake with some fiberglass, swap the tires for the used Pirellis I picked up on the cheap, and wha-la, track whore.  I just haven't dropped the $800 on track bodywork yet because I have other things that require that money... like tires for my '98 GTI.  I finally ordered a set of  rubbas for the Audi TT "Fat Five" 17-in wheels I had.

Also... my parents have the 1973 CL175 I learned to ride on.  Honda parallel twin.  Classic.  AFAIK, all it needs is a carb rebuild and an oil change.  Cosmetically, it's gorgeous.  Dust 'er off and polish the chrome... ready for the local cruise-in.  It has something absurdly low like 4000 original miles.  I keep lookin' for carb kits on fleabay... just need to take the chance and order one.  All the descriptions are close, but none of these sellers gives me enough info to be 100% sure.  Then again... do I need to be 100% sure when we're talkin' about a whopping $20?

So yeah... lots o' money-sucking bachelor projects.  Wink  Oh... and there's someone of the feminine persuasion on the radar as well.  When she gets back from the business trip she's on, we'll see if she'll go out with me.

Anywho...

duc_fan

« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »

This is a great ad:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/1362643834.html

Particularly this part:

...Of course to add all these wonderful traits into one motorcycle some concessions need to be made, the most obvious is the looks. But to say it’s ugly is terribly unfair. It’s like saying an A-10 Warthog or an AH-64 Apache helicopter is ugly. Well, they are ugly – but they are not without beauty.

The best way we can describe the bikes looks is by going back, this time to High School and that tom-boy so many of us used to pal around with. Sure she wasn’t the prettiest girl in your class. Her hair was always pulled back into a tight ponytail; she was a little too skinny, a little bit lanky. She never wore make-up, never wore pink and never fussed about silly girl things like lace or princesses. But when it was time to get into trouble, she was always a willing partner, unafraid to get dirty or bruised. After a while she started to look differently. She didn’t seem to be so lanky anymore and for the boys who knew, she was all they could think about.

And so is the Multistrada; lacking the lascivious curves of a pearl white 848 or the salacious shape of a 916. But the Multistrada doesn’t have the rigorous maintenance schedule required by liquid cooled, four-valve Ducati motors. Those sultry superbikes may be the objects with which we wish to have a torrid fling; an unbridled track day or a tempestuous romp along a canyon road. But the Multistrada is a bike you can live with, a bike you can bring home to Mom, and what nobody else realizes is that for all the bumps and twists in this world; you are having a helluva lot more fun, a lot more frequently than they are.

I always preferred the tomboy that was fun to hang out with to the high-maintenance pretty girls that didn't do anything.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: