Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:15:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going down to 14 tooth  (Read 11444 times)
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« on: September 06, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »

Craving a performance upgrade that the wife won't veto, I'm going down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket for some more OOMPH!

Now, I've read that this will make the engine work a little harder, and will chew up the plastic chain guard on the swingarm faster.  But I'll need all new sprockets and chain in another 6 to 8 K miles, so I'll convert to 15 front/41 back at that time.  Beemer Bill assures me I will suffer little ill effect (he's back on light duty, not wrenching bikes anymore). 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:28:12 PM by Smitch » Logged
mac020

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »

Good move You'll like it. Should prolly go up one or two in the back too!

Stay away from the aluminum fly wheel!, and change your oil often!

Really sad about Bill.  Tech Advisor comes to mind! He really know's his stuff. (Although Harley won't give a f)

Larry's 996 is STILL in the house!

Ducati's are cool! (Wish I had one!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:25:33 PM by mac020 » Logged
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:47:38 PM »

Craving a performance upgrade that the wife won't veto, I'm going down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket for some more OOMPH!

Now, I've read that this will make the engine work a little harder, and will chew up the plastic chain guard on the swingarm faster.  But I'll need all new sprockets and chain in another 6 to 8 K miles, so I'll convert to 15 front/41 back at that time.  Beemer Bill assures me I will suffer little ill effect (he's back on light duty, not wrenching bikes anymore). 

Whoa settle down Tex!  I changed my sprocket this spring on my 999.  You should notice a little bit quicker shifting, and a more manageable shift pattern for the street, but don't get too excited.  You are still not adding any more ponies.  I may go for the overall change for next spring myself.  Let me know how it goes! 

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
Smitch

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »

Simmer Pres, I know it's no exhaust system or Power Commander, but I am sick, SICK I SAY, of feathering the clutch in slow a$$ traffic, and shifting up and down like a mad man with the stock gearing.  Bang for the buck, it's a wicked modification.  waytogo

Kid I know has an R6.  Can't believe those come stock with a 16 tooth.  He's going down to 15 to do the same thing!
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:36:57 AM »

hey Smitch, I have gone with the 14 on every Duc I have owned without any  faster wear of chain, sprockets, etc.  Pretty good bang for the buck.  Are you doing a 520 conversion, or sticking with the 525?

say hey to Bill for me!

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Smitch

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:45:48 PM »

hey Smitch, I have gone with the 14 on every Duc I have owned without any  faster wear of chain, sprockets, etc.  Pretty good bang for the buck.  Are you doing a 520 conversion, or sticking with the 525?

say hey to Bill for me!

That's good to know, thanks for the reassurance man!  Sticking with 525 for now, will go down to 520 when I need to replace the whole drive system.

I will definitely send Bill your regards.  He gets big kick out of his fans, especially you and your long distance loyalty.
Smitch

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »

14 tooth and dark windscreen installed!  Now I just gotta get those prettied up fairings back on...

ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »

sharp!  Which windscreen is that?  Any special trick to putting it on without jacking up the lower part of it with those damn hard to reach nuts at the base of the dash?

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
monsterbrew

Yeller S2R w/ a CF addiction

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:51 AM »

14 tooth and dark windscreen installed! 

How much HP at the wheel did you gain from that trick smoked windscreen???   laughingdp   laughingdp   laughingdp

brew  chug

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver. Deep Thought, Jack Handy
Smitch

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »

It's worth at least .5 horsepower baby!

Ducducgooseme, yeah, I had Kevin help me take the whole front cowl off (mirrors and all) specifically because of those two bottom screws.  We've had customers trying to do it on their own, and they inevitably lose the inner nut.

It's from Powerbronze, an English aftermarket company.  Got it on Ebay.  It's the same shape as stock, which I wanted personally.  $70 bucks, not bad!
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »

personal projects on the clock, eh?...just kiddin'       dark windscreen  looks good, have to check out one on an MTS. with red paint.

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Smitch

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »

laughingdp Definitely OFF the clock.  Came in early and got Kevin to as well (had to buy him breakfast though!).  Working in a shop has to have a FEW perks!
Gringo 999

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »

14 tooth and dark windscreen installed!  Now I just gotta get those prettied up fairings back on...

Wow.  Very trick... now about those chicken strips that you can see from 12 feet away!   cheeky

Smitch

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »

Hey baby, they're a lot thinner than they used to be!  Besides, chicken strips taste better than roadkill, and I've had quite enough of that this year, spankyaverymucha!  BTW, how dirty is your chain Pres?  At least I clean mine every 300 miles!

Now, in the interest of peace, and as much as I REALLY hate to admit this, the clean look of your windscreen was the inspiration for me to do the same, Pres.

Wow, I could tell the difference right away.  She gets up and goes a little quicker, and the whole experience seems louder and more surly!

Riding home with the bike exactly as it is in the picture above (no fairings) I had a dude in a minivan with a Yamaha sticker do a bowing down motion to me at a stop light.  Grin

I returned the favor and gave a  waytogo
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:04:51 AM by Smitch » Logged
Gringo 999

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »

Hey baby, they're a lot thinner than they used to be!  Besides, chicken strips taste better than roadkill, and I've had quite enough of that this year, spankyaverymucha!  BTW, how dirty is your chain Pres?  At least I clean mine every 300 miles!

Now, in the interest of peace, and as much as I REALLY hate to admit this, the clean look of your windscreen was the inspiration for me to do the same, Pres.

Wow, I could tell the difference right away.  She gets up and goes a little quicker, and the whole experience seems louder and more surly!

Riding home with the bike exactly as it is in the picture above (no fairings) I had a dude in a minivan with a Yamaha sticker do a bowing down motion to me at a stop light.  Grin

I returned the favor and gave a  waytogo

Chain schmain.  I never clean mine.  The more grease the better I say!   waytogo

So is your new moniker "Surly Dog?"

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: