Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:12:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: special tool loan program idea  (Read 4917 times)
aaronb

« on: May 09, 2008, 05:45:47 AM »

So I was down in the basement a few days ago looking at some of the specialized tools I have but rarely use.  Between bicycle, car and MC tools I have a fair amount of money invested into what currently amounts to numerous paper weights that are worth their weight in gold when you actually need them.  One of these tools is a very nice clutch tool I bought over the winter instead of making one.  That got me into thinking if there would be an easy way to set up a tool loan program on this site. 

Maybe members could list what they have and would be willing to share with a deposit cost.  Another member could then paypal (ugh) the tools owner the deposit plus shipping to use the tool.  Once the tool is used, returned and inspected the original owner could then return the funds to the borrower minus the shipping and maybe a small weekly fee.   The small fee would encourage the borrower to use and return the tool in a timely manner and help cover wear and tear on the tool.

An example would be my clutch tool, you send me $140 and I ship the tool to you (shipping cost ~10-$15).  You keep the tool for two weeks at $10/week and return it.  I then pay you through pay pall $105.  after the tool is paid off i would even consider lowering the weekly fee or giving the first week free. 

This is just a thought I had, maybe it would end up being too complicated and could cause some arguments if a tool is damaged but still returned or lost in shipping.  This could all be set up in a tech child board

What are your thoughts?  would trying to set up a multi member tool share program be a nightmare or what?

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:10:32 AM »

Been there tried that. Had a lot of probs, some of which you touched on. But in a pinch it has worked a few times. In todays world of being able to rent tools at a lot of parts stores, even the speciality tools are pretty easy to find. But there is always that one tool.... It could work in a tight circle of enthusiasts like here I suppose.

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:21:33 AM »

I like the idea, but seems like shipping could make it less worth your while, except for a few rare tools.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:11:01 AM »

Seems like a good idea to organize on a local level so you don't have to deal with shipping.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »

+1 on the local level.  Might toss a tool loan sticky in the local forums.  I have basic tools, but the most advanced on I've got is a torque wrench.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
aaronb

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »

of course local would be best, but if you're in an area with very few members (like milwaukee) you are kinda screwed. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:04:18 AM »

ADVRider has a ToolPool, I haven't checked it out.

Some of the issues you folks brought up may be covered there?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »

Did exactly this with special service tools within a local Toyota Land Cruiser Club a few years back; what we found was that there needed to be a single person to act as club quartermaster/librarian to keep track of things; otherwise they just went astray. The good part of that was that we could also have a club library of manuals, videos, group camping gear, etc. As for a specialty tool owned by an individual, it worked pretty much like you'd imagine -- if you trusted someone, you'd loan them whatever they needed, if not, nix.

Keep trying on the local scene, too; sounds like you're ideally suited to do a bit of mentoring -- I know it sure made MY day when I came across a local Ducati nut who could show me the ropes (howdy, Alan, if you've made the move to DMF, and thanks!).

Of course, maybe the folks over at ADVRider have figured this all out, and it's just a matter of stealing their model. Of course, I thought they all carried around enough tools to disassemble & reassemble their bikes in a little roll under the seat...   Wink

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: