Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post up your race/trackday reports!  (Read 132540 times)
gm2

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »

Ya they are definitely a bit toasted after 2 track days. The tread isn't gone, but they take a long time to warm up now.  I actually spun out leaving a parking space yesterday.

What's your experience with them "going?" What do they do go greasy or hard or ?

my experience with pirellis and michelins, esp pirellis, on the track is that they from full grip to on your ass in a matter of corners. 

my [observed] experience with bridgestones is similar but not as bad.  Dunlops are the only thing i've been on that give you a relatively long window of consistent warning

Like this is the racing, no?
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:56 AM »

sounds like them Pirelli's are ready for some supermoto guy to go and do burnouts and slides with.

most guys who do alot of track days and street with the same bike, end up getting a spare set of wheels so as to be able to have a track set and street set with different ready to go tires on em so as to avoid a situation where you might pull off on the street and slip and slide on worn track tires.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
avizpls
TECH

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 05:24:06 AM »

I went out to BeaveRun in PA this weekend-not too far of a drive for me: about 35 minutes  Tongue

Morning started off at 70deg all ready. Had everything packed up the night before except the bike. My wife and pups came along to help as a pit crew, but as expected they get pretty bored. I was NOT bored!

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 06:40:44 AM »

G spanking her 620 in New Hampshire.  better photos without the watermark soon.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:43:08 AM by Statler » Logged

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Munch

Monster S4R - Munchstrada 1100S - 749R

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »

My efforts from MRA Round 5:)

fasterblkduc

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »

Congrats on your first podium!  chug

Wait until you start winning...then you're not happy unless you keep winning.  Wink

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Cider

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »

I'm giving racing a shot this year, and had my second outing last weekend, this time on MMP East.  I was riding pretty well on Friday, then I had some mechanical issues on Saturday, then gale-force winds arrived on Sunday.  I wasn't prepared to cope with 40mph winds and 60mph gusts, so needless to say, my race times sucked Sad.  At least I kept it on two wheels--it was major carnage out there!

My wife took some pretty cool pictures.  I'll limit myself to one gratuitous cornering photo Smiley

Rocking the provisional novice pink shirt in Windup:

There was some kind of mix-up with the garage reservations, so we got bumped to a GP garage.  Oh darn.  More space, closed-circuit TVs with race results, private bathroom, etc.--a guy could get used to that.

This car was in the garage next to us, and he was running on the West track.  He had a ton of money sunk in his program, but he was running about 8 seconds faster than the fast expert club racers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:29:54 PM by Cider » Logged
Josh_357

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »

First track day on my S4r, she did quite well. I came from doing trackdays with my well prepped 600 gsx-r, and can say I was impressed with the Monster. Still not as easy to ride on the track as some, but plenty of fun for track days.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:35:07 AM by Josh_357 » Logged
EazyG

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »

2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO.  Motorsports Ranch Houston. 
Wanted to open up the throttle a bit. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:42:29 AM by EazyG » Logged
avizpls
TECH

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »

Another day out in NJ at thunderbolt.

sejman

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »

First track day ever.  Fortunately, the 100+ degree weather broke just in time and had a beautiful day at Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, TX.  What a blast...an invigorating and humbling experience.   Dolph

Thanks to all the feedback/advice in my earlier post about the newb questions I had after the event.  I'll definitely be doing this again!

EazyG

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:45:03 PM by EazyG » Logged
ellingly

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »

Something a bit different here. But it is a v-twin, even if it's Japanese and a 2 stroke. Apologies for length, but I'll start with a pic of my Monster carving up the track. This post also has a fair bit of a girl on a bike - though she is mine Tongue.

At the start of last year I bought the gf a trackbike, a 1990 Suzuki RGV250. Here's her testing it out for size.

I was a bit cunning about this, I bought it ostensibly as a track bike for her but also picked that specific model because it's eligible for some historic racing series here ('period 6 250 production'). Nice easy club racing and good to get her some extra track time. Ultimately I want her to get the skills to be able to keep up with me on the road and be safer but she's competitive and it's good for her to have an outlet for it. I'd like to have spent the money and time getting myself racing again after a long break but it's good to be a crew chief for a while.

Nothing special about the bike. We actually run it as stock engine wise. It makes 53 hp at the rear tyre, most of the ported and played with ones make 55 so why bother - really easy to go backwards with a 2 stroke and we're nice and reliable, others aren't. Good tyres (though still road legal - dunlop alpha 12s, not available in the USA but designed for small Jap 250s and 400s that run 18" rears), and really good suspension and brakes help though. It handles nicely and stops even better.

Oh yeah and we're doing this for fun. Her name is Stacey, and the bike originally was done up as a Lucky Strike replica. So we made it into a pink and white LUCKY STACE bike, which gets plenty of attention on the track. Here's me chasing her down and her making it a bit tricky for me:

In terms of 'getting attention', is getting Troy Corser to pop into the shed enough? He gave us about 20 minutes of his time over a race weekend to chat about things and stuff she could do better. Such a nice bloke.

She does suit the bike very muchly.

Every year a historic (well, 'post classic' and beyond) racing club runs a '1 hour' endurance race. She did her racing debut last year on the mighty RGV; I couldn't join her because of an eye issue rendering me pretty close to blind for a while (all good now, but). This year I got to team up with her.

She did the sprint championship races on Saturday. Had a spill in practice, just lost the front on one of the only left-handers on the circuit on cold tyres, had to do a few things to the bike to get it back out - new chain guard manufactured from a piece of plastic, ripped the swingarm pickup so had to bodge up the rear stand to work to put it on warmers etc. Got her out for qualifying (just in time), and she did 3 races.

Because it's about her I got her to do the 1st practice and the qualifying for the 1 hour enduro on the Sunday, I did 10 minutes practice and that was it.

She did well for her 30 minutes in the race, consistent times and getting more and more comfortable on the bike.... then it was my turn. Given I hadn't ridden this track since June last year (in the wet - last rode in the dry Nov 2010) and the bike since Oct last year, I really just wanted to keep it upright. Ended up settling into a groove and carving out consistent lap times, set my fastest 3 laps from the end. Would have gone quicker but then someone binned it just near the end so took it easy round that sector and bashed out 3 good laps to finish up. Ended up a touch faster than her but she's improving a lot - 18 months ago I rode her RGV, she rode my Monster around Phillip Island and I passed her and then lapped her in 1 session, and it had stock suspension and shit brakes at that time. She's improved a lot and that's what makes me proud Smiley.

Had fun, it was nice to be out and really racing rather than just doing trackdays. There's nothing like coming 4 wide into a corner, with only a couple of inches separating each bike. Admittedly I was often getting lapped but that's cause fast guys on racing 400s with slicks with A grade riders are a bit faster than a fat bloke on a girl's bike.

Proof I can squeeze myself onto an RGV.

I had a great day... almost made me wish I had more cash so I could have done some BEARS rounds on the Monster this year. Oh well, next year Wink. Need a new set of kneesliders, wore mine out in the race Cheesy.

It also was excellent to finish with no issues, even if we were at the back of the pack. We didn't throw it away and the bike kept going, unlike a reasonable number of the competitors. And we both had fun, and that's really what counts in this whole game of club racing!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:06:15 AM by ellingly » Logged

Team Ghetto Racing: motorcycle racing and riding on a budget
2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »

Did a track day a little while ago. Been on dirt bikes since I was little, but I have only ridden on paved roads for a couple of years. So I am kinda a noob. This was about my tenth time out on a track.

Nothing extraordinary happened, I got all the Evil out of my system so I will not ride like a moron on the street, and didn't crash so that all worked out well. Just swapped my street tires back on to the bike. Took a few photos of the track tires - Dunlop D209GPA. Med/soft rear, Med front.

Bike: 618cc with a few other mods. Nothing special, but I love the bike and it forgives me when I crash it.  Grin

Track Tires:

Front Left:

Front Right:

Rear Left:

Rear Right:

ellingly

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

Shameless plug for the GF, but I did crew for her this weekend and we ticked a load of goals except for a DNF in the 1 hour endurace race. She knocked another couple of seconds off her times and is now consistently battling with the other bikes in her class. We threw an A-grader/multiple champion on her bike for the endurance race and he ripped out some killer times on the bike: 3s faster than anyone else on an RGV250 on the day  waytogo. Looks like we've built up a really good race bike over the last 2 seasons.

The GF on her way to her own PB

A-grader on his way to an awesome time out of the bike.

DNF was caused by a rear brake seizing on, locking up the rear halfway down the main straight. Had to park it against the pit wall, even brought out a safety car so they could load it onto the recovery vehicle - back was that locked solid. It's about the last thing I haven't rebuilt on the bike so I guess it was time.

Really pleased with the way she's done it and now she's got faster official times than I have on the same bike. So I've got myself a race bike (more on this later) for next season and I'll be out on that pushing my own riding as well as engineering her bike to be even better.

Team Ghetto Racing: motorcycle racing and riding on a budget
2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: