Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 09:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post up your race/trackday reports!  (Read 132108 times)
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »

How you can ride in a South Florida trackday in September is beyond my understanding. The trackday season for me would start in October at Jennings and no earlier than November for PBIR/Homestead.

before this one we were actually doing NIGHT track days which started in July or June...  sessions start at 5 pm till midnight... WAY EASIER... the problems then were the afternoon storms jaja  Grin
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »

before this one we were actually doing NIGHT track days which started in July or June...  sessions start at 5 pm till midnight... WAY EASIER... the problems then were the afternoon storms jaja  Grin

Chleo and Me at Palm Beach international Raceway with Florida Track Days 9/21

Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2014, 02:26:20 AM »

Here is a video on my 250cc Ninja.
Pic in Pic using Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix edition.
Tried creating a ghost cam but having tech problems

having trouble posting youtube links properly.. fyi

http://youtu.be/CyxLD1WvwlU?list=UUoEztB5J8mYMUGayUBMbe5w
pesto

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »

Here is a video on my 250cc Ninja.
Pic in Pic using Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix edition.
Tried creating a ghost cam but having tech problems

having trouble posting youtube links properly.. fyi

http://youtu.be/CyxLD1WvwlU?list=UUoEztB5J8mYMUGayUBMbe5w

So you recorded that on your phone? I'm interested in that app.

2013 White M696
uncalcetindelana

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2014, 06:32:44 AM »

Hello everyone!

This last Sunday did my first ever trackday. Amazing experience, completely hooked!!

The track is Autódromo Pacífico Sport in San Antonio, Chile. This was announced as the last trackday of the year, so I made u my mind, borrowed my father-in-law's old truck, asked a friend for a ramp and some tie-downs, and got my M696 and a 2nd friend's Triumph Street Triple on the trunk. The ramp/tiedown friend went as our mentor, as he's an experienced racer currently without a bike.

Heading out of my house

My lovely bone-stock M696 in track trim...ehh..just without mirrors.

The first thing to say: what a humbling experience. Any number of street riding years almost felt like nothing when doing my first laps. Laptimes were taken, and I had the 30th (or so) time in the slower group. No matter: I came here to learn, and I was enjoying how amazing and new it feels to actually use the bike's potential as much as I can, without worrying about road dangers.

I'm not a crazy street rider. I search for nice twisties and ride them at a "fun" pace, working on body position and throttle control religiously. And I'm happy to say, as soon as I started to understand the track, choosing better lines, and beginning to really know my bike, this all paid off in the way of learning a little bit faster than expected Smiley I now understand that saying "take it to the track" much better... it feels pointless to ride "hard" on street right now. Even cruising on the track is better.

At the end of the day, I was 4th fastest in the group, and I left the track feeling VERY satisfied with the leap forward, having SO much to learn. I'm a new addict...cannot wait to be on the track again!!!

It might sound silly, but this photo makes me really happy:

This guy on the GSR 600 passed me like standing still on the first session. He looked fast, and on completely different level. But on the third session I caught him and finally passed the man. Best of all, it was due to being faster in corners -as he would escape me on the straights. I know a trackday is not a race, but it's fun to use somebody else's as a gauge for your laptimes.

A couple more:

About the bike:

I loved the 696 on the track, as far as engine and chassis goes. Being fairly inexperienced, the bike allowed me to ride hard, without feeling like I'm barely using its capabilities, or I might wheelie off each corner...

The problem is cornering clearance. I don't have a rear stand so taking the sidestand off was not possible. But damn...I grinded a mm or two off it (not pictured, but almost), and not even carrying much lean angle. Can you just take it off? Nothing electronic to fiddle with?

Then come the footpegs, low aswell, but specially the gear/brake foot lever. I'm looking into breaking one soon...

I'm waiting for my ordered 796 clevis to raise the bike, but I'd like to know if any of you have done this and feel there is a SIGNIFICANT clearance win by doing this.

I know the 696 is not a supersport, but come on...my friend on the Triumph had zero care for body position, and was nowhere near grinding anything!

(don't mean to use him as a bad example. We actually talked about this)
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2014, 06:35:36 AM »

So you recorded that on your phone? I'm interested in that app.

yes..

Iphone 4s
external GP Sky Pro
Primary camera Sony Action Cam HDR s15
Secondary Camera, Sony Action Cam HDR 30v
Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix edition.
Electrical outlet cube for the GP and a mount from Lucky Bike
Ram mounts.

Its a bit tricky for me to learn this stuff.... I can make more post if enough interested. For now I can just pm you.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »

Hi uncalcetindelana, to answer some of your questions:

One of the reasons Monsters are not the best track bikes is definitely due to the clearance issues. There is a sensor attached to the footpeg, so keep that in mind when taking it off. I would also recommend taking a look at aftermarket rearsets.

I lived down there for a while, in Chicureo, working in Ciudad Empresarial. They're actually plans to build a new track up in Colina. It's supposed to be to attract F1/MotoGP. Not sure if it's still in the plans.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
pesto

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »

I know the 696 is not a supersport, but come on...my friend on the Triumph had zero care for body position, and was nowhere near grinding anything!

(don't mean to use him as a bad example. We actually talked about this)

Was he going as fast?

2013 White M696
uncalcetindelana

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »

Pesto, he was going just a little slower than me, mostly. I rode his bike too, and the pegs are definitely higher!

Thank you Duccarlos! Chicureo is pretty nice. I pass there often, on my way to some nice twisties (road that connects Chicureo and La Dehesa these days...depending on how long ago you lived here, you might have seen it). I haven't heard about the track at Colina again, but the one at Codegua is hosting the current National Superbike championship, and is supposed to host WSBK and MotoGP in 2016 or so :O

I haven't been there yet, but this Sunday I'll go watch the race, and Ducatis are supposed to be allowed to do a couple laps in the morning. Will see if it's true Smiley

I'm worried about that sensor... I guess I'll have to get me a rear stand and start experimenting. The way I see it, there's no point in investing in higher pegs if the sidestand is so near the ground Sad Rearsets seem to be so expensive for this bike. But I guess in the long run I'll have to go there.

pesto

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »

So...as I mentioned on here before I wanted to stop tracking the Monster. So, I bought a 2002 Yamaha R6 a few months ago and have been prepping it and getting new gear (the old stuff I was wearing @ 80lbs heavier). Finally took it out for a track day!!

It's a long video Smiley.

Had a great time...unfortunately, the engine blew up in the afternoon. I haven't figured out the exact cause but it certainly doesn't look good Sad. The bike used to be a race bike (the safety wiring was still installed) but was converted back for street riding for the previous owner, so it's had a least two owners before. I figured with that pedigree an engine blow up would be the last thing I'd have to worry about. Sigh!

2013 White M696
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 07:19:06 AM »

Tar snakes are not your friend...

GP028991

My buddy Mike from last Monday. It wasn't his day. Earlier in the day he had a belly pan full of fuel from a leaking QD... Shocked Shocked Shocked

2 broken ribs and a punctured lung are a bit much for a 15 mph crash.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »

Tar snakes are not your friend...

GP028991

My buddy Mike from last Monday. It wasn't his day. Earlier in the day he had a belly pan full of fuel from a leaking QD... Shocked Shocked Shocked

2 broken ribs and a punctured lung are a bit much for a 15 mph crash.

Ouch! Did he bang the side wall?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »

Nope...just a 15 mph slam. He likely fell on his elbow. Ribs are no match for elbow armor.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: