Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 10:54:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post up your race/trackday reports!  (Read 132362 times)
ellingly

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »

Finally got out on the track on my racebike. Initially I looked at running my S2R1k in a series here but there were a few things that got in the way. Ended up getting a smoking deal on a historic racer, an Yamaha RD250LC. The joys of even more 2 strokes in my household is what I can look forwards to.

Still got a few seconds to find per lap but it was my first clear run on a nice, dry day and I had sorted out the baseline jetting too.

Tackling a full season of historic racing on it next year, looking forwards to it.

Mostly speed is gonna come through a touch more lean angle -- getting your head around how far you can lean a 30 year old bike on skinny tyres is not to be underestimated -- and there's two key spots where I need to carry a bunch more speed on this particular track. Really looking forwards to racing though.

Team Ghetto Racing: motorcycle racing and riding on a budget
2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
Triple J
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »

2 rounds into this year's race season with WMRRA, and I've stepped into the deep end in the Open classes on the RSV4 (crazy good bike). waytogo Here's an on-board video from the Formula Ultra class (the run what you brung class) this past Saturday. I was in line to finish 8th, until my very near high side at 10:40. Bummer. I would have been very happy with 8th, given that 4 of the top 5 plate holders run this class. More videos and race summaries on my blog in my signature.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:19:51 PM by Triple J » Logged
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »

2 rounds into this year's race season with WMRRA, and I've stepped into the deep end in the Open classes on the RSV4 (crazy good bike). waytogo Here's an on-board video from the Formula Ultra class (the run what you brung class) this past Saturday. I was in line to finish 8th, until my very near high side at 10:40. Bummer. I would have been very happy with 8th, given that 4 of the top 5 plate holders run this class. More videos and race summaries on my blog in my signature.  Smiley

What happened to the windscreen?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Triple J
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 01:15:46 PM »

What happened to the windscreen?

My head hit it when I was thrown out of the seat. Apparently it was fairly impressive save!  laughingdp
ellingly

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 11:56:04 PM »

After much calamity in my person life, I'm back. I should really post up my first race report from back in my home state of Tasmania. I went back ostensibly to see my old man, but actually so I could race Smiley.

Here's what I wrote up elsewhere about it:
What a weekend.

Did a trackday yesterday to get my head around Baskerville here in Slowbart. It's a great circuit but got a few interesting bumps, and huge elevation changes and some nasty camber to catch you out. Plus a blind crest corner to make you fill your pants... which looks like this when you get it right:

Ended up in novice because of the club rules and as it turned out, it was faster than intermediate anyway.

Got in 3 sessions, not really any clear laps so I couldn't string together anything. Best lap was down to either a high 1:14 or low 1:15 but that was on quick review of footage. Good times on an LC here? Well, some PCRA people did high 1:10s-1:11s in 2011 at a meeting down here, and the ultimate LC lap seemed to be 1:06. (2km laps here).

Today was race day. There was a 2 hour enduro on in the arvo but I slipped into the sprint races. No classes, just historics or a club series & all under 500cc. Elected to do both which meant I was looking at practise, 2xquali and 6 races all in just over 3 hours. Oh, and today started off at 22ish, was 30 by 9 and 37 in the shade by 11 at the track?

Got some help from my dad (who took these pics), my brother and his kids. They said my race bike sounded tough, which is an awesome compliment from a 7 and a 5 year old.

Thanks to some delays and muffed up sessions, lost practise and I elected to cut quali short to give myself a rest between sessions. Lined up for first race (club series 600 and under, and under 500cc whatever goes - so, motards and 400s etc) against some interesting opposition:

I got past him actually. And, I had an epic start to race 1: up the inside and made up 4 positions. Lost 2 of those back and settled into a battle with an rvf400.

Got him over the start finish line before starting the last lap. Of all the turns at Baskerville, the roller later up/down double apex turn is my favourite. It's full noise in 3rd and picking up 5th then 6th over start-finish line.

Such a fun corner. On a small bike you can't drag a knee the whole way around, but you do for the first half. By the end of the day, I had it sliding around and holding it up with my knee. Felt so good, it's such a forgiving race bike.

First race done, finished mid pack in under 500s.

Next up, historics. 7 bikes out, I qualified 7th against a couple of small bikes and a bunch of big ones, including a 1990 gixxer 1100. Tried hard, made up a spot, and got myself down to a freaking 1:10.3 which was a great time on the little LC. Had a good dice with a veteran who started racing bikes when my dad started racing cars, and it was good to see someone who knew their way around and place.

The straight at Basky is pretty short and has a bump that lets the bike bikes wheel stand. On the LC it's a case of tuck and watch the head shakes.

Races were then combined, and so I had 2 more. Overall ran consistent 1:10-1:11s till the final race when the wind picked up (60km/h side wind!) dropped me back to 1:13s. Since that was my goal for the weekend, it was nice to smash that goal out of the park and get close to what an LC should do around Baskerville.

This is the first turn. Really steep uphill and nice camber, but huge bumps on turnin point and at the apex. Had issues scraping chambers through there, would need to lift the bike to help. Couldn't really stiffen it, it was already a filling rattler around the rest of the circuit.

All in all, a great weekend. Justified bringing the bike down and my dad was hugely stoked with watching me race the LC. Given the 4 wheeled guys he gets to deal with on a regular basis that's pretty cool.

Oh, and as a bonus, apparently I know how to do a proper race tuck on what is probably a little too small a bike for me:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:01:12 AM by ellingly » Logged

2006 Ducati MS2R1000 road | 1973 Suzuki GT250 cafe race | 1982 Yamaha RD250LC race | 1991 Suzuki GSXR750 perpetual project | 1984 Suzuki TS250x vintage enduro | 1997 Honda CT110 postie of death | 1982 Kawasaki KH100 bucket racer
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »

My head hit it when I was thrown out of the seat. Apparently it was fairly impressive save!  laughingdp

That's not nice.

red baron

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

Great posts ellingly waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
pesto

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »

Was able to squeeze in a half day yesterday. Clicked a couple of seconds off of my personal record but was really planning on making some progress today. Unfortunately, the thunderstorms in the area had other ideas.

Question, was I out of line calling these two guys out? They combined Levels 1 & 2 with the only real rules being a very vague "We'd prefer if you didn't pass on the turns at all, but if you have too, just make sure it's safe and clean" or something. Check it out below, and please forgive the video perspective, my GoPro was obviously pointed too high. Thoughts?

Basically, they were following each other. In turn, they out braked me and stuffed me. I had to brake hard to keep from hitting them. Is that normal for L2? It certainly isn't for Level 1. Thanks for your opinions. I'm a bit worried I got carried away being a little fish in a slightly bigger pond Smiley.

2013 White M696
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »

One passed on the inside and one on the outside. The guy passing on the inside was just faster than you in the corners.

You can't get 'stuffed' on the outside. The guy that passed on the outside was just plain faster than you.

All of those passes were safe. You need to get used to it, or get faster.

The track school I ride with doesn't allow inside passing in any group.

It works great.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

pesto

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2014, 07:14:52 AM »

One passed on the inside and one on the outside. The guy passing on the inside was just faster than you in the corners.

You can't get 'stuffed' on the outside. The guy that passed on the outside was just plain faster than you.

All of those passes were safe. You need to get used to it, or get faster.

The track school I ride with doesn't allow inside passing in any group.

It works great.

Thanks for the perspective! I don't consider outside passing clipping someone off at the entry, but passing them on the outside of the turn (going off line), which is why I may have overreacted a little. Ahh life in the L1 group. Appreciate the insight.

2013 White M696
Triple J
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »

The guy that passed on the outside around 0:40 was closer than he needed to be, but he also passed you quickly, so I don't see why you would have had to brake at all really, other than it made you nervous (you'll get over that though). Clean pass though IMO. Your line was terrible for that corner as well...have to take that into consideration.

The guy that passed on the inside wasn't even close to you. His biggest problem was after he passed you he seemed to forget where his throttle was located!  laughingdp

Our local trackday providers all have the following rules, and it works well.

Beginner: No passing in corners
Intermediate: Only outside passing
Expert: Pass anywhere, but try to leave a 6' gap

I try hard to maintain the 6' gap...but if a guy has a number plate (i.e., a racer), then I have no problem sucking some paint off as I go by, as he/she should be used to it!  Evil
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:22:00 AM by Triple J » Logged
pesto

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »

The both out braked me but then scrubbed off so much speed that I had to brake hard to avoid hitting them. I'm maintenance throttling at about 40mph. They come in at 50 and brake to 30 to make the corner...just an example, I wasn't looking at the speedo =). That's why I had to brake.

I'm getting from you and duc that if I was a better rider than I wouldn't worry about it. I'll take that and run with it and hopefully get better and not worry  Grin. Thanks!

2013 White M696
ellingly

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2014, 02:32:00 AM »

I came, I saw, I got some trophies:

2nd in class yesterdays for 1974-83 < 350cc bikes. Not bad, since I was on my lowly 250 against a bunch of sorted TZ350s.

Got a couple of cracker starts, this was the best. Gridded for this one on championship points due to a timing cockup, so I was right at the back of the pack (hadn't run in this series at all this year).

Today, had 2 endurance races (2 riders, one bike, one hour). Won the class on the RD250LC by a couple of laps, and with some luck we got 2nd in a 90-96 600cc class on a 95 zx6r.

Not bad for first meeting in my home state on it. Not bad at all.

Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 05:17:24 AM »

September 21 at Palm Beach International Raceway with Florida Track day.

Intermediate Session 1.
2002 Ducati Monster S4, 25k miles on her.
Michelin Pilot Road 3's, 31f/30r.

Bike is stock, had rained earlier so track was a little wet, but still warm temps.

I am used to riding a 250cc so after this first session I decided to not ride her any more  bow down too much torque for what I am used to at the track, the suspension seemed soft but maybe b/c I am not used to the heavier faster bike. She is also not GP shift set up like the 250 ninja so I did not want to confuse my shifting habit.
here is the session video

http://youtu.be/A6QZEC0FqXc?list=UUoEztB5J8mYMUGayUBMbe5w

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »

How you can ride in a South Florida trackday in September is beyond my understanding. The trackday season for me would start in October at Jennings and no earlier than November for PBIR/Homestead.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: