Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 09:51:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neutral between 5th and 6th???  (Read 8501 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: May 09, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »

On two occasions I have hit a "neutral" position between 5th and 6th gear. A nice quiet cruiser feeling at 110mph r:e) A bit scary to think what could happen if it suddenly fell into gear again without me preparing for it Shocked  Sometimes it will also be in neutral (between 2nd and first) without the green light coming on.
Is this because I'm too soft at the gear lever or is it just plain wrong and needs to be fixed? Bike (S2R800 '07) is still under warranty - will I have to get serious with my dealer?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »

I've ridden several dozen different Ducati motorcycles and only maybe two or three of them didn't get a false neutral between gears.  The most common is between 4th and 5th, and the second most common is between 5th and 6th.  The 1997 Monster that I used to own could easily get a false neutral between any two gears.  My ST2 is quite a bit better, and my 888 is way better.  But they all still do it.

I found the first false neutral on the day I bought the first Monster, after I had ridden about 20 miles on it and was trying to pass a truck on a two-lane road.  I probably revved the engine to 9000 rpms before I figured out what the problem was and slammed it into gear.  Moving the shift lever down about half an inch improved things, but didn't completely eliminate the problem.  Learning to give a firm shift helps a lot too.  I don't know of any way to make it completely go away.

So work on making firmer shifts, but also learn to recognize the problem so that you can pull the clutch back in and hit the shift lever again to get it into gear.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »

I'm certainly aware of it now - clutch is ready Cool
Is this issue Ducati style or is it also common on, let's say Japs? (not that you guys would know first hand, but have you heard of it?)

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »

I've owned eight Yamahas and rode a total of about 40,000 miles on them together, and I don't remember ever getting a false neutral on any of them.

That doesn't mean that other brands don't get false neutrals, but Ducati definitely gets more than some other brands.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
duckwrench13

This thing sounds broken...

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »

That's "Italian Neutral." Standard on all Ducatis. ;:| ;:| ;:|

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
Combat Veteran, Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan 2006-2007
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »

So work on making firmer shifts, but also learn to recognize the problem so that you can pull the clutch back in and hit the shift lever again to get it into gear.

+1

I quite often get false neutrals if I've been riding my Honda for a while and get back on the Monster - the little 250cc Honda has a _beautifully_ smooth gearbox, and requires barely a nudge of the gear lever to change reliably. If I ride it for a few days then hop back on the Monster I'll often find myself either missing shifts by not pushing the lever far enough and letting the clutch back out in the same gear I started in, or finding a false neutral (or the real neutral unexpectedly of shifting between 1st and 2nd).

If it doesn't go away when you pay attention to shifting firmly, you may have bent shift forks (unlikely unless it's ever been down heavily on the gearlever side or you ride like a 800lb gorilla and pound the shit out of the lever on downshifts), or if it's been happening since new it's possible the gear cluster was never shimmed properly from the factory.

I'm 99.9% sure you'll find Scotts right though pay a little attention to shifting more firmly for a day or two and you'll probably find it only ever happens when you're getting distracted and lazy on your shifts.

big

sydmonster
Street_Cred_Points.com CEO

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »

Interesting that my old Kwaka had as many, if not more false neutrals, as my Dukes. In a sequential box it can be expected. - Chris

ps, adjusting your gear foot lever so you can make the change more solid helps plenty. (as others suggested)

...Sydmonster - down under
Contact me about your mods and what Street Cred Points you can earn!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:13 AM »

Yup, I'll try to be firmer on the lever.
Actually, now that you mention it..... Embarrassed ..... the bike was kind of down on my foot once - foot was fine, but lever and rod slightly bend. I can see how this would effect the precision, but in that case not only between certain gears. Of course, if I have identified a weak spot it will probably be "easier" to find with damaged parts.
I will add adjustment of the lever to my list, though.

The list is now:
Ducati style (shrug)
Firmness
Replace parts
Be aware
Alert dealer

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 04:56:59 AM »

lowering the lever helped me, you can also adjust for a reverse shift pattern. which allows more positive upshifts being your pressing down, which is more natural. feels weird in the beginning Undecided

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
echelon
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 06:02:21 AM »

It doesn't happen to me much but it does happen from time to time so its good to know about it and know how to handle it.

The first time I had a false neutral was on my first Monster (wet clutch) and I was on a highway in a passing situation with a need for more speed. I shifted to the next higher gear and unexpectedly found the false neutral.  I was shocked.  Instead of being in gear and going faster all of sudden the engine was not engaged and my throttle turned into a powerless noise maker. It took me a bit to understand what happened and get in the right gear.   Later I checked around (just as you are doing).

I am now on my second Monster (dry clutch) and it can also false neutral. I only get them changing higher but I've heard other people can get then down shifting too.

The way I understand it is that if I am lazy (too soft or too short) with pushing the gear lever up then its possible to get out of the current gear but not select the next gear and end up in neutral.  So I need to be firm with the up shift on the gear lever and feel the new gear be accepted.  In other words I need to be committed to the change Smiley

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 08:04:25 AM »

Next time you ride, pay particular attention to the feel through the lever when you make that 5-6 shift.

I've noticed that it kinda goes click-CLICK.
I think the neutral is just after the first click.

Just have to follow through, like hitting a baseball.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »

If you do find a false neutral make sure you correct it by shifting into the next higher gear.  The sudden engine braking and wheel hop that will cause instability during critical situations on the street, i.e. heavy acceleration to pass,  if you panic and down shift while revs aren't matched could spell disaster! 

In case of a false neutral...ALWAYS UP SHIFT TO BE SAFE! Cool

M-ROCin' it!!!
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »

I've ridden, raced, and owned probably about a hundred bikes over the last 40 years and I can safely say that I've managed to get a false neutral on just about every one of them at some point.  Sometimes it's been my own clumsy foot, but some bikes are more prone to it than others just as a consequence of their shift mechanism's design.  My Multistrada will get a false neutral between 5th and 6th about every 200 shifts, or some weird thing.  I'll go for days without a missed gear and then, bam, there it is.  My new Monster Tricolore just got its first missed shift while accelerating uphill on the way to work, and sure enough it was between 5th and 6th.  Strangely enough, the best shifting bike I've ever owned has been my '95 900SS.  I'm sure I've missed a shift on it, but for the life of me I can't remember when.  That thing really shifts well and never seems to miss a shift.  Most scary situation?  Railing into a corner at high speed while downshifting and then missing a gear.  If you drop down you may go two gears down and lock the rear wheel; if you go up you may not get enough engine braking and might run wide or not make the corner at all.  How we manage to put these fears behind us and continue riding is amazing, but we do.  It's just too damn fun!  Stay alert, be positive on your shifts, and if you miss one don't rev it to the moon but simply pull in the clutch and go up a gear as it's easier on the gearbox and your adrenal gland than hitting too low a gear.  Hope this helps.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Goldeneye

2007 S2R 1000

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »

What Speeddog said

Next time you ride, pay particular attention to the feel through the lever when you make that 5-6 shift.

I've noticed that it kinda goes click-CLICK.
I think the neutral is just after the first click.

Just have to follow through, like hitting a baseball.

I am just breaking in my Monster and got a false neutral between 5 and 6.  I started paying attention and it is the same click-click into sixth.  Now I just try to be a little more positive with the shifts and no worries.  Smiley

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »

If you do find a false neutral make sure you correct it by shifting into the next higher gear.  The sudden engine braking and wheel hop that will cause instability during critical situations on the street, i.e. heavy acceleration to pass,  if you panic and down shift while revs aren't matched could spell disaster! 

In case of a false neutral...ALWAYS UP SHIFT TO BE SAFE! Cool

My first time was when upshifting, second when downshifting - I tried to neutralize it on purpose. When I did it on purpose it was a very careful move, so I agree on the firm shift advice. I have a slipper clutch ('07 S2R800) and that might come in handy, but mostly I want to NOT find out how it might help. My concern is not so much that this happens, but I fear the next gear might engage by itself before I'm able to correct the "new neutral". Any chance of that happening?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: