Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:06:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 101 during rush hour truly blows  (Read 4926 times)
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« on: October 15, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »

I've had management meetings down at the Emerald City (Oracle HQ) for the last few days, and I have to say...

The 101 blows monkey chunks.

Saw two rear end collisions not 50 feet in front of me on the way in and had some jackass try and merge on top on me on the ride home.

I used to think city riding was "tough", but I now wish to revise my answer: The 101 is a demolition derby cleverly disguised as a freeway.

Any tips, beyond brandishing a firearm?

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:57:30 PM »

Yeah buy a helicopter  Grin

Luckily for me I dont get into the office till after 10am so I miss the traffic but I have lane splitted from San Jose to SF and From San jose to Antioch on some really congested days.

Boy was I mentally drained  Undecided

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

desmoquattro
Smacking certain mods who change my profile upside the head with a...

It puts the billet aluminum on the motorcycle...

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »

You might try taking 280 to 92. Sure, it's longer, but it may actually be faster.

My Vices
'09 1198s,red, (Il Diavolo Rosso
'09 KTM 690 SMC (Thumpy)
'04 Yamaha FZ1, The Blue Cockroach
'01 900SS, custom yellow, (The Bumblebee)
'05 MS4R, blue
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »

Ahhhhhh, yes, Hwy 101. I live right off of it mid-Peninsula, so that's the freeway I take when I want to go anywhere. I ride up and back to and from SF all the time, and as far as I can tell there is no "rush hour." It's congested and unpredictable all the time.  Roll Eyes Cagers don't pay attention, the construction has screwed up the lanes; it's a nightmare.

All I have to offer is this: Take your time. The road is one big pothole (except where it's newly paved, and that's slick).

Watch out for rental cars around the airport. They are the late model American-made cars without a license plate frame. Those drivers are pretty much guaranteed to make some dumbmake the beast with two backs maneuver.

As you pass the It's It factory breathe deep. You never know when it's going to be chocolate cookie bake day....  Cheesy Mmmmmm...

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
mostrobelle

1994 M900, in red, of course...

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:01:17 AM »

You might try taking 280 to 92. Sure, it's longer, but it may actually be faster.

+1.

I avoid 101 like the plague.  Be careful on 280 though--lots of cops.  I had one of them pull out the radar gun on me while he was writing some cage a ticket a couple of weeks ago.  I'm sure it was sheer luck that the second cop a few miles up ahead (also writing another cager a ticket) was preoccupied at the time.  I seem to notice them mostly at that reservoir/body of water near the 92 junction.  g'luck.

94,500 miles...05/22/15
ducati_tim

Semper ubi sub ubi

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

I lived that commute every day for three and a half years. Why do you think I have a stupid grin in the office every day?  Grin

The 101 blows, but it is still better than any other route. 280 has cops and some of the most clueless soccer moms that I have ever seen, and 92 has the highest concentration of suburban cell phone talking morons that can cram on a five mile stretch of road. As for the 101, I think the hardest thing is not to give into temptation and join the other motos that are splitting at 40, 50 mph and above.

'Rispetta le donne!' Italian Spiderman
gojira

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »

Yeah 101's always been sucky.  Angry

Like duquette above, I'm just off it and it happens to be in the middle of the construction area where my northbound onramp's been narrowed and somewhat blinded by a temporary barricade. I can't count the number of close calls I've had at that point.

Plus the nice rut in the left most lanes that makes splitting tricky at times.

I agree with DQ ... 101 and 92 is the generally the better route. Yes, clueless drivers abound, but at least it's a nicer road surface than 101 these days.

MendoDave
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »

I believe we were warned in the Matrix reloaded to "Never ever get on the 101"  cheeky

I usually do the 280-380-101 thing but then again I seldom go all the way down to Redwood shores.
Desmostro

alis volat propriis

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:16:16 PM »

I believe we were warned in the Matrix reloaded to "Never ever get on the 101"  cheeky

I usually do the 280-380-101 thing but then again I seldom go all the way down to Redwood shores.
    laughingdp

+1    laughingdp

I used to think city riding was "tough", but I now wish to revise my answer: The 101 is a demolition derby cleverly disguised as a freeway.

+11tyb 

I decided to mount automatic weapons on my bike after the last trip on the 101.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone, but the 101 is also a total PITA down here in LA as well.  Apparently, there is no escaping the evil of the 101, no matter where you are.
desmoquattro
Smacking certain mods who change my profile upside the head with a...

It puts the billet aluminum on the motorcycle...

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone, but the 101 is also a total PITA down here in LA as well.  Apparently, there is no escaping the evil of the 101, no matter where you are.

Maybe Humboldt County

My Vices
'09 1198s,red, (Il Diavolo Rosso
'09 KTM 690 SMC (Thumpy)
'04 Yamaha FZ1, The Blue Cockroach
'01 900SS, custom yellow, (The Bumblebee)
'05 MS4R, blue
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »

I learned to split on 101, on a thursday evening at rush hour going to the Zeitgeist. Getting on the single lane onramp, Jammen, true to form, decided to ride alongside the cars, cut through traffic, and take off at 50+.

I was left on my own-fun.

After that, the 101 never seemed so scary.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 10:14:51 PM »

I learned to split on 101, on a thursday evening at rush hour going to the Zeitgeist. Getting on the single lane onramp, Jammen, true to form, decided to ride alongside the cars, cut through traffic, and take off at 50+.

I was left on my own-fun.

After that, the 101 never seemed so scary.

Hmm thats where I learned how to split as well. I still get scared shitless at times  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 05:13:23 AM »

Yeah 101's always been sucky.  Angry

Like duqette above, I'm just off it and it happens to be in the middle of the construction area where my northbound onramp's been narrowed and somewhat blinded by a temporary barricade. I can't count the number of close calls I've had at that point.

Are you referring to the Peninsula St. on/off-ramp?  bang head It's about 2" wide, made largely blind by the barriers, treated like a go-kart track by the oncoming traffic, and even has built-in speed bumps and a challenging little jog in it just before you merge with the rest of the insanity on North 101. It's a test of your true desire to ride a motorcycle. "That which does not kill me will probably require a change of pants."  laughingdp laughingdp

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
B.Rock

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »

I used to live immediately adjacent to the 101 in the SF Valley. Do you remember the bad old days of 2 lanes each way on that?  bang head
So, 101 in LA is bad but it's not nearly like it is up here. There it sort of makes sense. In the bay it is like someone took every bad piece of freeway and stuck it together. As a freeway engineer I'm professional offended by that thing. And every time they work on it between SJ and SF they do some other stupid crap. Even up in Santa Rosa it's an amazing cement abortion. Interchanges that don't connect, weird lane tapers, lane drops in the #3 lane [out of 4], ramps that don't go anywhere, cement slabs that pre-date WW2...
None of that takes away from the horror of the 405/101 split though.

Cali - where I lay my Mac down.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: