Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 06, 2024, 09:24:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official DMF Bicycle Thread  (Read 433375 times)
goldenchild
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »

There's a carbon frame for everyone, Orcas are on the flexy side until the 09s drop.  That's what I love about carbon- you can make it ride so many different ways!

While that's 100% true...

I still don't like the way carbon feels. I've tried a lot of frames out - Pina's, Colnago's, Time's, Ridley's, Madone's, Look's, you name it... they all shared the same characteristic... they felt dead. Of my road bikes I find myself reaching for the Colnago the most. It's stiff, lively, and comfy enough to do a double century. Not that I'd ever do one of those again...
goldenchild
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »

Ouch, that's the really hard way! Shocked

See the above post  bang head

laughingdp

Pugsleys are so awesome.

Yeah they are! As soon as I saw one in person I knew I had to have one... I feel like I need to wearing a chicken suit every time I ride it!
DRKWNG
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »

Alright alright, I'll play...

Have been a lifetime cyclist, used to race Cat2 on the road, and expert in DH/XC...

Some of the stable, a few of them are worth more than my motorcycle...

Orbea Orca - Full carbon Record. This bike hardly gets ridden since I found out the hard way that I don't like carbon frames -

Well, you could always sell the frame and then give me a good deal on the derailleurs, brakes and crank set.  Wink
goldenchild
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »

Well, you could always sell the frame and then give me a good deal on the derailleurs, brakes and crank set.  Wink

Yep, most of the orca is going to the lady... with Record 11 coming out soon you'll probably be able to get Record 10 on the cheap...
scienceiscool

2005 S4R

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:03 AM »

bike advice needed:

i'm buying the so a new mtn bike soon, to replace his beat up old handmedown.  he has become enthralled with the idea of hydraulic brakes, which to me sound like way more hassle than they're worth.  you have to bleed the brakes on your bicycle, and if you break something on a trail (we do pretty rough riding where crashes are inevitable) it'll be difficult if not impossible to fix.  oppose this to the simplicity of a cable.  he says he likes the feel of the hydraulics and that they're "progressive", but i think he's discounting the increased braking power and sensitivity of cabled disc brakes over the rim brakes he's used to, and that hydraulics aren't better enough to be worth the hassle. anybody have hydraulics (or not) and got input?
sbrguy

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »

you guys have way too many bikes out there... that is insane.

Sinister

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »

bike advice needed:

i'm buying the so a new mtn bike soon, to replace his beat up old handmedown.  he has become enthralled with the idea of hydraulic brakes, which to me sound like way more hassle than they're worth.  you have to bleed the brakes on your bicycle, and if you break something on a trail (we do pretty rough riding where crashes are inevitable) it'll be difficult if not impossible to fix.  oppose this to the simplicity of a cable.  he says he likes the feel of the hydraulics and that they're "progressive", but i think he's discounting the increased braking power and sensitivity of cabled disc brakes over the rim brakes he's used to, and that hydraulics aren't better enough to be worth the hassle. anybody have hydraulics (or not) and got input?

I have Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disks on my Enduro, and they ROCK!!  My riding partner has hydraulics on all four of his bikes.  We ride some serious stuff, out here in the Cascades and these brakes work great.  I just bled mine for the first time, and it was a snap.  Avid sells a 'bleed kit' for $30, and it makes the process a dream!  Seriously.  Avid brakes will take DOT 5 fluid, as well; unlike other brands which make you use mineral oil (Shimano). 

"...but without a smiley, some people might think that sentence makes you look like a homophobic, inbred prick. I'm mean, it might leave the impression that you're a  douchebag or a dickhead, or maybe you need to get your head out of your ass."  DrunkenMonkey

"...any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one." - Marcus Luttrell
oldjackbob

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »

Avid brakes will take DOT 5 fluid, as well; unlike other brands which make you use mineral oil (Shimano). 

Mineral oil is harmless to paint.  Not so for brake fluid.

Regarding any perceived "hassle" associated with hydraulics, I've had absolutely none.  I've crashed plenty of times with no damage to the brakes.  My old cheap-ass Magura Julies are 5 years old now, and I've never opened the hydraulics, not even to bleed them.  They came with a 5-year no-leak warranty. Modulation is incredible...I can play my brakes like an instrument...it gives me a whole other facet of control over my rides.  Stopping power is incredible, kinda like throwing a tire pump in the spokes.  I've had to replace the pads once, went to aftermarket (cheaper).  The aftermarket pads don't stop quite as hard as the original, but there's still way more braking power than I can put to use, and the new pads are wearing longer than the OEM ones.

"You can't build a reputation on something you haven't done." -- H. Ford
Sinister

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2008, 09:20:36 AM »

^^^^^^^^  +1.  (My frame is bare brushed Aluminum so, no worries on the DOT fluid.)

"...but without a smiley, some people might think that sentence makes you look like a homophobic, inbred prick. I'm mean, it might leave the impression that you're a  douchebag or a dickhead, or maybe you need to get your head out of your ass."  DrunkenMonkey

"...any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one." - Marcus Luttrell
sbrguy

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »

i'm thinking of putttin ghte avid 7 juicy on my front wheel of the mtb and heard all good things.

how do they compare ot the hayes strokers or the hope mono blocks?  geeze with hope brakes they look and sound liek full brembo brakes with things like monoblock billet alum calipers and full floating roatoers

heard like you hae all said that the transition from v brakes to hydraulics is insane, that most people the first time using hydraulics almost go over the handlebars the first time they try them.
oldjackbob

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »

...most people the first time using hydraulics almost go over the handlebars the first time they try them.

Seen the results of that personally. I was riding my road bike along a very nice paved bicycle trail at River Legacy Park in Arlington TX one day and came upon a middle-aged lady who was laying in a crumpled heap on the side of the trail, and her mountain bike was laying in the middle of the trail. She was conscious but dazed, and wasn't moving much. I stopped and carefully checked her over...she was scuffed up real good but not bleeding too much. I asked her what had happened, and all she knew was that she had decided to stop and pull over for some reason, and the next thing she knew she was face-down on the pavement. It was painful for her to move, so I just stayed with her and called an ambulance.

I'm sure she grabbed too much brake and just went over the bars. Poor lady is probably too rattled to get back on the bike anymore.

DucPete

07 S4R

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »

I've got a Colnago Technos 2000 which I just love. 

And I have access to a Merlin, but I haven't taken it for a spin.  It may turn out that it needs adopting. 

I'm sorry you got all butt-hurt. Now let it go. Deep breath. Just let it goooo....

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. - Robin Williams
Sinister

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »

i'm thinking of putttin ghte avid 7 juicy on my front wheel of the mtb and heard all good things.

how do they compare ot the hayes strokers or the hope mono blocks?  geeze with hope brakes they look and sound liek full brembo brakes with things like monoblock billet alum calipers and full floating roatoers

A buddy has Hayes stroker trails one bike, and Juicy 7 on another.  I'm thinking he likes both.  I would say Hope monoblocs are another tier above.

ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »

A couple of months ago I bought the first bicycle I’ve ridden since I was about 17 (next week I turn 53). It’s just a cheap little commuter bike, Giant FCR3, but it’s a lot of fun! Even if I am woefully slow. I’m pretty much using it as basic transportation, so half the time I have 30 pounds of groceries or random other stuff in my panniers. I should have thought of this years ago; so much better than Muni and so much easier than walking home with those groceries!

Being used to motorcycles, I had to have the front and rear brake levers swapped. I kept coming to an abrupt halt trying to pull in the "clutch."   laughingdp
I do find the lack of protective gear kind of disturbing though. I feel extremely naked without a full set of armored leathers -- most of the time I wear the same jacket I wear on a motorcycle, though. I found I got too damn cold without it. Yes, I am a lizard, why do you ask?

And I know you guys will laugh at me, but I want a full-face helmet. I'm afraid of falling on my face. And my head gets cold all the time in the regular helmet! Can anyone offer any useful advice about them?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:49:57 PM by ro-monster » Logged

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
oldjackbob

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »

And I know you guys will laugh at me, but I want a full-face helmet. I'm afraid of falling on my face. And my head gets cold all the time in the regular helmet! Can anyone offer any useful advice about them?

Get a bicycle-specific full-face helmet -- full-face motorcycle helmets will get too hot--remember, you are the motor.

Here's a link to a page of full-face bicycle helmets at Cambria Bike [EDIT: I have no affiliation with them]:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdisplayProducts.asp?id=499&cat=Full+Face+Helmets

They're made for extreme mountain bikers, but they'll protect you too!   waytogo

As far as feeling naked without leathers, you're generally not going fast enough on a bicycle to take off much hide if you do fall down. And let me say again, you are the motor... you would quickly overheat in leather.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:58:06 PM by oldjackbob » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: