Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R 800 Brake Upgrades  (Read 11341 times)
Xiphias
'06 S2R800 - Black/Tang (sold); '07 CBR600RR - Red. '09 R1 (Stolen).

« on: May 11, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »

I'm interested in hearing what others have done to upgrade the brakes on the S2R 800. I have a 2006 S2R 800. The bike has been very reliable but the brakes leave alot to be desired especially when compared to the Tokico's on my CBR600.

Hi-ho-hi-ho....its off to the track I go.................
DarkStaR

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »

You can get brakes from some of the older Monsters/Ducatis, and/or find some from the larger displacement Monsters.  These are the 4 pot calipers.

Or, you can get better performing pads.  But, that's kind of like polishing a turd (= 2 pot calipers).

I went with S2R1K set-up.

COWBOY

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »

I added 320mm rotors off a 998, calipers off of an 06 SC1000 and 999 Clutch and Brake Radial master cylinders. Aside from rerouting the brake cables it was all bolt on.  I upgraded to Ferodo Platinum pads as well.

I'm very happy it.  Great initial bite, good feel. 

For the dollars though the DP brake kit offered for the S2R is actually very competetively priced.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:16:40 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
DarkStaR

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »

I added 320mm rotors off a 998, calipers off of an 06 SC1000 and 999 Clutch and Brake Radial master cylinders. Aside from rerouting the brake cables it was all bolt on.  I upgraded to Ferodo Platinum pads as well.

I'm very happy it.  Great initial bite, good feel. 

For the dollars though the DP brake kit offered for the S2R is actually very competetively priced.

Is there a difference between the S2R803 and the SC1000 calipers?  They're both 2 pots right?

EEL

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

NO difference Dark. Forks are the same millimeter spacing. Like mentioned prior, brake lines are different. Best bet is to choose from an older model bike. Mine (as you know since you helped me put them on) are from my old M800 (2003)
COWBOY

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »

the sc1000 comes with a 2 pot 4 pad 65mm brembo caliper.  the stock s2r is 2pot 2pad.  if i could've found 4pot 4 pad i would have but none were avail at the time.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »

Although the brakes on my S2R1K were ok in stock form, I rarely leave anything stock on my bikes.

I went with the brake/clutch master from a 999R, the Brembo 4 pad/4 piston calipers (the same one's found on the 999/749 but in gold), Alth Superbike rotors, Rizoma reservoirs, Pazzo levers, and custom Spiegler lines.

It was a HUGE upgrade in braking performance but not cheap.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:28 AM »

I'm interested in hearing what others have done to upgrade the brakes on the S2R 800. I have a 2006 S2R 800. The bike has been very reliable but the brakes leave alot to be desired especially when compared to the Tokico's on my CBR600.

you should tryout some more aggressive pads before you change anything else. It just might be enough to get what you are looking for.

It's a easy and affordable test before getting the more $$$ brake parts.

just my $.02

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
Mike D

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:50:01 AM »

I agree with the above statement. Change the pads first before you drop all the cash . I put EBC HH pads on the front of my S2R800 and it was a significant inprovement. If I was going to track it I might think about a system upgrade but for the street...how much braking do you really think you need? I can still brake with one finger...you just have to squeeze a little harder. I rode a friends with 4 pot and it's easier to brake but on the street it really felt like overkill.

Let's settle this the old fashioned way...first guy to die, LOSES!
Wanwo

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »

I went with S2R1K set-up

I've been thinking about this lately as a cheaper way to upgrade. Do you need to replace the brake lines? Did you buy new?
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »

I agree with the above statement. Change the pads first before you drop all the cash . I put EBC HH pads on the front of my S2R800 and it was a significant inprovement. If I was going to track it I might think about a system upgrade but for the street...how much braking do you really think you need? I can still brake with one finger...you just have to squeeze a little harder. I rode a friends with 4 pot and it's easier to brake but on the street it really felt like overkill.

I have to disagree with the overkill statement. Not only is the braking improved dramatically, it also give you much more control and is much easier to modulate.

I found that I have to pull the lever further to get all the power the brakes provide and give you more feedback rather than the on/off feeing I got with the factory brake setup.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
aa4111

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »

Another option if you might be interested in doing a fork swap and are considering the GSXR fork route, you can get GSXR radial calipers (ie Tokico) and masters and do it all at the same time. Could likely find a package deal on ebay or something with most the pieces you need
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »

Another option if you might be interested in doing a fork swap and are considering the GSXR fork route, you can get GSXR radial calipers (ie Tokico) and masters and do it all at the same time. Could likely find a package deal on ebay or something with most the pieces you need

True, but thats opening up a whole new can of worms.

Plus I'll take my brake setup over the GSXR stuff any day of the week.

DarkStaR

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »

I've been thinking about this lately as a cheaper way to upgrade. Do you need to replace the brake lines? Did you buy new?

The lines have to be changed also.  Different lengths and ends.

DrDesmo

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »

True, but thats opening up a whole new can of worms.

Very true, that being said one nice thing about going w/ the GSXR forks is you get adjustability - which I believe the S2R 800's are lacking.  Not quite as nice as your setup though ... but a lot less expensive  chug

-Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: