Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 04:25:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Challenger  (Read 7105 times)
DCXCV

« on: May 14, 2008, 01:07:12 PM »

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=483319
"Directing the power to the rear wheels is a five-speed automatic with AutoStick, which allows the driver to manually select a higher or lower gear, but is the only transmission available." 

Damnit, just because most people can't drive a manual tranny doesn't mean you shouldn't put it in a musclecar. 

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
James.M

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:21:43 PM »

I hate when they do that shit... what a waste, even if its not "Better" for racing doesn't make it any funner (ya thats right funner).
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »

I don't like the limitations on transmissions, but i can see it being a cost savings. Still sucks.

But there are no true musclecars anymore. Relatively inexpensive cars making gobs of power? I can't think of one.

jclin

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

AutoStick? Lame. They think they're clever. I'd like to beat them with a solid steel teddy bear.

[Colbert] Manual or Automatic. Pick a side![\Colbert]
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

I had to wait for 2 months to get a stick shift on my car (BMW 328i, came on the slow boat from Germany).  Totally worth it though. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
kutter

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:41:22 PM »

Uh, just gonna throw this out there, several new cars, including the CTS-V are semi-auto too. Isn't that what that thing has or did I read it wrong?

Not that I care cuz I personally think that thing is fugly.

All my best ideas get me into trouble.

I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?!'

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything..... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »

cts-v and autostick are *not* semi-auto.  They're full auto.

It's confusing, but it's a pet peeve of mine as a gearhead. 

Tiptronic, AutoStick, pretty much anything not German, Italian, or listed below have traditional torque converting automatic slush boxes where they let you feel like you have some input in the gear choice.  They still steal power from the engine like a traditional automatic, and just suck.  IMNSHO opinion, the only one of these worth considering is later generations of the Tiptronic used in Audis & Porsches.  These are best thought of as "Manual Automatics".

Ferrari/Maserati (F1) and BMW (SMG) have/had full manual transmissions with computer control.  They could be kinda jerky, and have been or are being phased out.  At least in the case of the BMW it was literally the same as a stick, a 6MT could be converted to SMG or vice versa with the swapping of user interface & ECU.  These can be considered "Automatic Manuals"

VW/Audi (DSG), Mitsubishi (EVO), Nissan (GT-R), BMW (New M3), Ferrari (F149/California), Porsche (PDK, coming soon to 911) and a few others are dual clutch transmissions.  They're computer control application of not one but two actual clutches that can also be fully automatic.  This is the way the industry is going.

On to the Challenger.  It's based on the 300c which on turn is based on a generation (or 2?) old S class MB.  MB and (then named) Daimler Chrysler have long since stopped putting sticks in their cars, except in rare cases (Viper, SRT4, Ram SRT10 (viper based)).  The Viper is being killed and the SRT series (save Ram/Viper/SRT4) have long been poseurs placing comfort over performance.

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
DCXCV

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »

It's confusing, but it's a pet peeve of mine as a gearhead. 

Tiptronic, AutoStick, pretty much anything not German, Italian, or listed below have traditional torque converting automatic slush boxes where they let you feel like you have some input in the gear choice.  They still steal power from the engine like a traditional automatic, and just suck.

That's what I've always thought about those trannies.  The shifting isn't positive like with a manual clutch.  There's still lag.

I just can't think of a performance vehicle and an auto tranny and have it all make sense in my tiny brain.

I had to wait for 2 months to get a stick shift on my car (BMW 328i, came on the slow boat from Germany).  Totally worth it though. waytogo

Once again, living up to your screen name.

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

I was considering buying one until I found out it's automatic only.

I'm now debating going down to the dealer, saying "sell me a new challenger" and running through the list of options I want, naming "manual transmission" last. When they mention it's not available, I'll look at them in disgust, swear, then up and leave.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
aaronb

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »

it's CVT, CTS-V is fast caddy (with a 6-speed)

and yes, those tranny's suck.  half the work of a stick, 90% of the suck of an auto.  i test drove a g37(fiance's dad may get one soon) on friday with paddle shifter auto and it sucked, such a let down. (i never expected the auto to be good, but a manual would have made the car awesome.  we didn't test drive one of them Sad )  i flipped them a few times then just put it in drive. 

3 pedals FTW!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:35:06 PM by aaronb » Logged

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
aaronb

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:51 PM »

oh, and the faux carbon hood on the challenger   vomit

WTF were they thinking?

Milwaukee, WI
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »

I was considering buying one until I found out it's automatic only.

Ditto

It just does not feel like driving with out a manual transmission  Undecided

I guess it's Bumblebee for me then  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

I'm going to buy one and do burn outs with my automatic transmission in front of all of your houses.
Doc

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

You can live with it.  i have a slapstick 3 speed in my '71 Challenger convertible and never got pissed off enough to want to sell it.  I can't wait to test the new beast.

M900 - 1999 with Keihin FCRs, K&N filter, open airbox, DP CF highmounts, 41 tooth rear sprocket, DID X-ring chain, Corbin Seat, Napolean bar end mirrors, DP Splash tank #8

FXDX - Twincam with SE Stage 1 mods

XR250- For when I want to do something really stupid

Caution: Contents of this helmet are under extreme pressure!
aaronb

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »

I'm going to buy one and do burn outs with my automatic transmission in front of all of your houses.

so how will burn outs be with a brake-lock diff?  will the acrid smell of burnt pads overwhelm the sweet smell of burnt rubber?  or will it just be a one wheeled wonder?

Milwaukee, WI
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: