Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 02:31:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension Thingy Kinda Place/People  (Read 8966 times)
NEIKOS
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »

Ah!  Didn't know you had the schmancy tool. 

I didn't have the schmancy tool until after we figured out what we were doing with our domestic work around.  Nothing like  bang head to get you thinking of better ways to do something  Wink

If you change your mind on the bearings I'll be at Cheshire Tuesday and can pick them up for you.  Did I mention they're cool, sexy, spiffy, hi-tech . . .
http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=03-02TB-1&Category_Code=BR

Did I ever mention my childlike wonderment at torque wrenches?

scott_araujo

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »

Did I ever mention my childlike wonderment at torque wrenches?

I own three, including the first one I got when I was 17.  Yeah, after reading mixed reviews on workarounds from others I figured that was a Duc specific tool worth having around, like the front axle holder.  Of course the axle holder only set me back about $7 and Dan used it last season too.

Still no on the bearings unless mine are mangled.  I just spent $300 on parts this week.  Gotta save some money for the wife to get some stuff too.  Oh, and the mortgage.  In this economy keeping the condo is a close second to keeping my bike.  I had a nightmare last night that we had to rent an apartment without a garage.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:34:00 PM by scott_araujo » Logged
scott_araujo

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »

Thanks for the loan of the steering nut tool Chuck.  I just got the headset apart.  Like yours the top was ok.  The bottom was a little icky.  The grease was rust colored and there are a few bearings that aren't totally shiny.  They're a little dark but not pitted and disgusting like yours.  I think these are serviceable for a little while more with fresh grease but I'll probably replace them in a year or two.  Interestingly, mine were corroded on the back and I think yours were on the front.  I suppose yours definitely are getting beat up by high wind and rain and amybe mine are just suffering from a little moisture that got in and sought the lowest point.  Greasing the headset is definitely on the yearly winter maintenance list from now on.

So, off to the shop for some grease and then I'll slap it all back together and see how the new fork springs and oil feel.  I was thinking about it and the kind of grease you used is definitely better than moly grease for the headset.  It's thicker, goopier, and sticks around longer.

Scott
Mother
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »

dewd, you have it apart already

just replace them now
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

dewd, you have it apart already

just replace them now

+1

That's the approach I tend to take with maintenance.  If I have an area torn apart, I just replace all the wear parts at the same time while I'm in there.  Upgrades, stock replacements, doesn't matter, I just like to do it all at once.  Setup and tear down is a bizatch, and I'm lazy, so I like to minimize how many times I'm pulling tools out and putting them back away, or how often I'm putting the car or bike up and down on/off the stands.  I love wrenching... I just hate setup and clean up, and I'm not fond of disassembling part of the vehicle more times than I have to.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
scott_araujo

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »

Yeah, it's $$$.  Trying to pay down bills and save while we try to have kids and are waiting to get laid off.  $60 is $60.  Besides, the were serviceable and it only takes a half hour to get it apart if I need to.  Also, I don't tend to replace things unless there's a reason.  Too cheap and pragmatic.  All that said, those roller bearings are SEXY!

Scott
Mother
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

roller? mine were ball, where do you get rollers from? I heard someone was making them aftermarket.
scott_araujo

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »

SpeedyMoto makes some, DesmoTimes carries some, not sure whose.  Much nicer than ball bearings, roller bearings offer more contact area where the bearings meet the races.  So they wear better and don't get hammered as badly when you land wheelies.  I think this is what Chuck just installed.

Scott
NEIKOS
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 05:30:05 AM »

. . . I think this is what Chuck just installed.

Scott

Yah BABY!  They're SEXXY!!!

I posted a link earlier in this discussion?  Somewhere in the North West section anyway . . .

Cheshire carries them - The Speedymoto ones.
scott_araujo

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2009, 06:40:31 AM »

I miss my VW bugs I had growing up.  Even performance parts were dirt cheap.  Wheel bearings were something like $3 a piece, brake drums $10, dual exhaust headers $150.  Time marches on.  At least I now have all that air cooled experience.  Remarkable how similar it feels working on the Duc engine.

Scott
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: