Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 02, 2024, 02:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEST Tail chop kit... (show me). (Also the movie "Christine")  (Read 13049 times)
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 01:50:41 PM »

I switched to the reverse-shift (GP Pattern) a few years ago because I didn't like all that linkage business. Now shifting is much more positive. But you have to remember "down is up, and up is down" forever after, which may make multiple-bike ownership more difficult. Just a thought. (If you go this route, might I suggest the shorter, designed for Monsters reverse shifter from Slingshot Racing)

Wow.. I never ever thought of that.  I will keep that in the back of my mind.  I know that when I was working in Europe, not all the manuals cars were exactly the same and I managed but I was younger then. 

Thanks for the idea.

And if I do the tail chop, I want that expensive ass LED light that does all that knight-rider (old school Hoff- none of that nu-skool stuff) stuff before I stop.  I've wanted it since I brought the bike home because the way cagers ride on my ass really, really, really makes me nervous.  I've not been on a motorcycle in 4 years and am being reminded how poorly car drivers start to drive once they get complacent.  I believe that light has the plate illumination in it.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »

My bike never had the fuel light come on before 110, usually after 120-130 miles. That's counting city only and track day. Your bike must be running extremely rich, especially considering your stock exhaust/udder/ECU set up. Have it adjusted again by the shop who did the 6,000 service? (my 0.02)
FYI - the tanks on our bikes are smaller than advertised (about 10%) and the fuel light (mine and others) doesn't come on until there's only half of the advertised amount of gas left. I only get about 15 miles after the fuel light warning. YMMV.

Cookie1 is still on Jeff's listing (MonsterParts.com) So is the Cometition Werkes kit. If you decide against the chop (would you chop your own butt?) Jeff also have the no-chop carbon tail. http://www.monsterparts.com/c/Accessories/Accessories.html

I'm a big guy and think I need the bike to stay as large as possible - also I prefer to not "wear the road" when I ride in the wet.
So, I did this.....

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »

Cool, not sure if its a replacement LED board to go in your stock tail light lens, or if its the complete shebang. If its just the LED board, you may still want to change the lens to the HD/Buell lens or a Clear Alternatives lens.

Reverse shift has another advantage, in that you don't have to dig under the shifter to go up a gear, which is handy when ground clearance is in short supply, such as exiting a left hander.

While I'm a fan of tail-chopping, I have to agree that the factory provided extra tail is a huge benefit if you ride in the rain much. Without it, your back is going to get quite wet.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:56:25 PM by ato memphis » Logged

Ducatiloo

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »

FYI before you do the chop, be aware that many "saddle bags" like the DP and Givi models will not fit since they a bolt under the ash tray.  

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »

THANKS!!

I forgot about that question!  If you tail chop, does your butt get wet?  And can you NEVER have a passenger again?

(I don't want to two up at all but like my case next month when I need to pick up someone from the airport, I don't own a car so its nice to have in worse case scenario)

And I try not to ride in the rain- mostly because I don't have gear yet.

Finally, I won't do bags on that bike, ever.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »

No, passengers are unaffected because the part you are removing is behind where they sit, not their seat. leave the passenger pegs on, and they are fine. Uncomfortable, but fine. It might be a little unnerving to have absolutely nothing behind your ass if you were riding cupcake, but that's it, as far as I know. I've had a passenger on my bike after the tail chop (but before I removed any passenger peg options).

And yes, you will have a serious case of swamp-ass when it rains.

DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »

FYI: go to your local HD dealership and pick up the Buell taillight, it'll be almost identical to yours, but the bottom will be clear, allowing for license plate illumination, which is required in many states. Its a dirt cheap part, and they likely even have one in stock.

+1, and if at all possible don't pay $100 for a tail chop kit.  All you need is a few L-shaped aluminum brackets with holes drilled in them.  Make a friend with the tools and space and fab up your own.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »

And yes, you will have a serious case of swamp-ass when it rains.

This makes me not want to do it.

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »

I mean, I rode for about 2 hours in the rain on the way to a Pie Run a few saturdays ago and when I got there, my knees were still the wettest part of me, from front tire spin off and rain nonsense. It wasn't that big a deal, but you oughta know that there's less ability to deflect it with the tail chopped off.

I also have the rear hugger removed, which makes more fling up occur as well.

roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »

This makes me not want to do it.

But it looks so much better! you'll be glad you did. Also, if you have a passenger, You won't get wet  laughingdp

Other than having smaller indicators, there are a couple of other things you can do:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=23274.0
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=1333.msg12564#msg12564

Also, just for laughs, I am including my favorite tail chop thread (from the 'other' board): the comments are priceless.  laughingdp
http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/121580-low-budget-tail-chop.html

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »

The viz-tech ones.. thanks

And I just found a place today to powder coat the forks, swing arm when winter comes.

The bike is coming together in my mind's eye! Yay!

Can you powder coat exhaust pipes?  (when I removes the bladder and put in arrows).  Or is taping better?

Ducatiloo

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »

The viz-tech ones.. thanks

And I just found a place today to powder coat the forks, swing arm when winter comes.

The bike is coming together in my mind's eye! Yay!

Can you powder coat exhaust pipes?  (when I removes the bladder and put in arrows).  Or is taping better?

You would want to ceramic coat the pipes due to the temp they run at, and most people get their forks anodized, powder coating can change the diamenter so they don't fit together on in the triple as well.

What color are you doing your swing arm?

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »

You would want to ceramic coat the pipes due to the temp they run at, and most people get their forks anodized, powder coating can change the diamenter so they don't fit together on in the triple as well.

What color are you doing your swing arm?

Black.  Everything black but the tank, cowl and fairing.

Ducatiloo

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

Black.  Everything black but the tank, cowl and fairing.

You can't go wrong it that, it is the fastest color on a Ducati  waytogo

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »

if I can get the parts black out that I want, its going to be soooo sweet! =D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: