Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 02:21:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistor strength required for indicators in integrated LED taillight?  (Read 4437 times)
Grug

« on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »

Hey Guys,

I have a Motodynamic Integrated LED taillight on the back of my monster, which needs some resistors for the indicators (they're flashing way too fast), however I don't know what sort of strength resistor I need.

I've been told a 25 watt 8 ohm resistor will do the trick - but I can't find a resistor with stats even close to that anywhere (only either 8 ohm with much lower wattage, or 25 watt with much higher ohmage). Does anyone what will work?

I just want to pick them up from the electronics store and get it all wired up without having to run back and forth trying different options.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
Charlief

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »

I just wired up an LED tail light with signals on a friends bike and we had the same problem.  I had him order the Rizoma resistors thru PJs Parts.  Wired them in and everything worked perfectly.  I'm not sure what the rating is on them but for the 20 bux or so they might be worth it. 

Hope this helps a little.

Grug

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:31:10 PM »

I just wired up an LED tail light with signals on a friends bike and we had the same problem.  I had him order the Rizoma resistors thru PJs Parts.  Wired them in and everything worked perfectly.  I'm not sure what the rating is on them but for the 20 bux or so they might be worth it. 

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, I've looked at the resistors from PJ's Parts and a couple of other US companies. But with shipping I'd end up paying close to $30 for a couple of resistors that should only set me back about $1.30 (tops) from an electronics store here.
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:34:53 PM »

Radio Shack (it's about  the only thing they're good for  Grin )

Alternatively, go for an aftermarket flasher unit like Kisan.

Solid state flashers don't care what you connect them to and can give you nifty features like running lights and signal flashes when you brake (but it runs about $100)

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
4DoorSi

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »

You won't find anything at radio shack....

You need something that will take a lot of heat and be able to dissipate it.  8 Ohm, 25 Watt sounds about right.  You aren't talking about some tiny resistor that you could put on a circuit board, you need one with heat sinks and such.

Sorry, you will most likely have to put up with the fast flashes until you order something.
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »

You won't find anything at radio shack....

Maybe at yours. I was just in there last week and they had big-ass ceramic 25w resistors in several ohms values (from 6 up to 12)

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
4DoorSi

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:03:23 AM »

Ok, guess my radio shack sucks....

Every time I go in there looking for something, they don't have it.
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:15:38 AM »

Ok, guess my radio shack sucks....

Every time I go in there looking for something, they don't have it.

No, radio shack does have the right resistors b/c I've bought several for my bike and cars when I converted to LEDs. I don't have the part number but can post it when I get home tonight.

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
jfisher2

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

+1 on getting electronic flasher...$12 at auto zone to replace your flasher unit (simple unplug and plug in new one) rather than having to wire in resistors.  This is definitely the way to go.

97 M900
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »

+1 on getting electronic flasher...$12 at auto zone to replace your flasher unit (simple unplug and plug in new one) rather than having to wire in resistors.  This is definitely the way to go.

Damn. I had no idea they were that cheap. You'll probably have to wire in a grounding wire, but that's easy.

greenohawk69

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »

Does this apply to all bikes or are there certain years this will or will not work?  I have a '97 M900. 

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Grug

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »

Damn, wish I'd heard about the "flashers" earlier - they're not too hard to find down here apparently  bang head I've gone and bought some resistors off ebay, but when I go to pay for them I keep getting directed to a non-ebay site, and that's not a risk I'm going to take - which means that now I have to faff around with the seller to sort something out.

Patience, when will I learn patience?!  Embarrassed
JEFF_H

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »

on 02+ bikes the flasher is controlled by the computer not an external box.
Charlief

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »

on 02+ bikes the flasher is controlled by the computer not an external box.

Yup... or in the case of my S2R its in the gauges cluster with no user access.

Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »

for those interested, this is the Radio Shack part no:
#271-0132   (13-ohm   10 watt 10% tolerance)  wirewound resistors.

This is what I've been using for all my LED applications to put a load on the circuit. works just fine.

One end to ground the other to hot (install in parallel, not in series)

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: