Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 17, 2024, 11:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mexico's mods and help thread...  (Read 62350 times)
Plumbers Crack
Crack Kills

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

Thanks again stewwwwww.. Smiley

Like Beeeeeeffff Sttteeewwww

Sorry I don't have a censor button.. I Speak whats on my mind.
Duck-Stew

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »

NFJ got his new tires.

DucMouse got her shifter adjusted and a little A/F mod.

Plumber got his ride height rod 'bushed'.

My Triumph got it's tail tidied up.

Long weekend, but worth it IMO.

See some of y'all on Wednesday for the last 'push' for maintenance before we roll....  DucMouse will be posting up w/details shortly.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »

Matt's Arrows are ready for Ouray...not sure about these guys Grin

Duck-Stew

« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »

Mufflers?  Ready to go.

Those 3 clowns...  Er, not so much.

(but they're going anyways!)  waytogo

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Plumbers Crack
Crack Kills

« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2010, 02:56:52 AM »

Smiley 

Plumbers Crack
Crack Kills

« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »

My thread in tech.. Smiley All finished.. Smiley go look

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=41277.0

NFJ79

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »

Anytime, NFJ.  It's Nick, right?

How did it go?  I saw Stuart today but I didn't think to ask him how the change went.  Happy with the new buns?   [moto]

Correct.

It went pretty well.  Stuart taught me a lot of useful stuff.  I like these new tires.  The bike turns much easier then it did when i had the Pirelli Diablo's.

2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark
Luv A Duc

'08 Monster S4RS Testa

« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2010, 05:32:38 AM »

My luck with meeting up with you guys is horrid!

I jammed my middle finger on my clutch hand pretty good and unless it gets better by tomorrow AM I am going to have to pass which royally sucks!

I will let you guys know tonight if I can come or not.

bang head bang head bang head
Plumbers Crack
Crack Kills

« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2010, 05:36:29 AM »

Evil Evil Evil

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:48:07 AM by Plumbers Crack » Logged

nicrosato
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »

Most intelligent decision I've made in a while: I gave the '97 M900 into the care of Stew. As my budget permits, he should be able to deal with its issues. I told him to use it as much as he wants- I think that's much better than leaving it in a shed for months at a time.

Nobody said that I did. Everyone says that I would.
Ratfink749
Peanuts may cause swelling of your

« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »

Not so much of a Duc-Mod.. but Duc Related none the less.  I "acquired" a receiver hitch assembly for our Jeep.. but I have no trailer, no trailer ball, etc.. so I figured the best thing I could use it for at this point was to show my support for Ducati. 

Sometimes when you say no, you really mean YES, that is why we have the safe word.. "FLÜGGÅƎNK∂€ČHIŒβØL∫ÊN"  If at any time the pleasure is too much, simply say the safe word, and we will stop"

Dirty people say:
"yep.. Ducati makes a fine motorcycle.. If your into all that Crotchrocket Bulls@#t!"
Ratfink749

« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »

Note to anyone doing something new that they've never done before on their bikes.  If unsure, and 20 tons of pressure aren't working, Consult the service manual *before* pulling out the torch. 

Case in point:  Removing swingarm pivot bearings from my swingarm so that I can sandblast it clean.  Left side bearings came right out, easy as pie!  Left side, not so much.   After pressing and pressing and pressing, I thought, "Maybe some heat" so I proceeded to heat the swingarm (not to the point of melting or anything that extreme)  Next thing I knew my completely rigged pressing setup popped and came undone.  At this point instead of looking at the small little .pdf file pictures, I printed large pictures from the service manual.  Right side is not ONE large bearing, it is in fact two smaller bearings with a sleeve between them AND Shoulders milled into the swingarm behind them!!!!  One of my milled shoulders is now.. uhm.. Lets say its "Compressed" for lack of a better term. 

I put back two of the 4 bearings, and the sleeves that they utilize, the pivot still slides right through and works fairly well.  I believe with a new set of bearings my swing arm will be reusable with no significant problems. It turns out, torches are also good at ruining the seals on self contained bearings. 
 bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head

Sometimes when you say no, you really mean YES, that is why we have the safe word.. "FLÜGGÅƎNK∂€ČHIŒβØL∫ÊN"  If at any time the pleasure is too much, simply say the safe word, and we will stop"

Dirty people say:
"yep.. Ducati makes a fine motorcycle.. If your into all that Crotchrocket Bulls@#t!"
Ratfink749

« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »

Where the hell has Wayne been?  Haven't seen him on the last couple rides... ??  Well.. He's been doing "garage stuff" Yeah thats it.  First off, Lets start with "inspiration"

... I have a black bike...  And .. What if my frame and wheels were White??  That would look pretty killer I think.. So.. Here's the current state of the Duck.

Keep in mind, These are all crappy cell phone pictures.
The beginning: Build stand to lift front end up into the air:

Next, We start tearing lots and lots of parts off:

Cyborg??

Swing arm torn apart, all holes plugged up to keep sandblasting sand out of the arm.  I'm going to blast off all of the black then SOS pad it for that nice "brushed" aluminum look.

Duct tape, Pipe wrench, Triple clamp top nut comes right off!

Frame off:

Lay out the parts for artistic fun!

Plans for the exploded Duck include:  Powdercoating the frame and wheels white.  Brushed aluminum swingarm.  I'm still up in the air about the rear subframe:  Ducati Red? Brushed aluminum? Either would look pretty cool I think.  On a more practical note, I'm going to redegree the cams to the "updated" specs that Ducati has laid out for the 749S engines.  Also make sure the clearances are still close enough to live with for a while longer.
May be attempting another exhaust... a little QUIETER this time.  A nice lightweight lowmount 2 into 1 system.  Possibly wearing a Competition Werkes stainless can.

And so my winter project begins!  With a little (lot) of luck..  (and money) it will be ready to ride again in the spring time. I'll keep posted with updates as they happen!

Dirty people say:
nicrosato
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »

Very ambitious, Wayne. Good luck.

Nobody said that I did. Everyone says that I would.
Ratfink749

« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

First off, Measuring valves while the engine sits on the floor is MUCH easier than in the bike. Go figure.  I've checked all of my numbers, Most All of them are technically in spec.  Just want to run them passed the experts to see if there is anything I should be on the lookout for.

Max Permissible Spec as outlined by 2006 service manual:
.003" - .009" (converted from .01mm - .25mm)

Horizontal cylinder:
Intake 1
Opener: .003"
Closer:  .0075"
Intake 2
Closer:  .006"
Exhaust 1
Opener: .005"
Closer:  .004"
Exhaust 2
Closer:  .005"

Vertical cylinder:
Intake 1
Closer:  .0075"
Intake 2
Opener: .002"
Exhaust 1
Exhaust 2
Closer:  .005"

The only ones that stand out to me are the two Intake 1 Closers, and the Vertical Intake 2 Opener.   They're on the outer edge of the spec limits.  (technically the .002 is too tight and all my .003's are borderline)  So I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom they can offer.  At 40-50$ per shim I'm trying to hold off on adjusting anything unless I absolutely have to.

Dirty people say:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: