Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:59:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning...  (Read 2708 times)
38 OFF

« on: May 19, 2008, 06:02:21 AM »

I realize this has been discussed ad nauseam, however, just want to be clear on what's ok and what's not.

Apparently S-100 is king. Can I spray that on everything, engine, brakes, cables etc.

Do you just spray it on, let it sit, then spray it off?

Danny S

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 06:17:10 AM »

S-100 (sold as HondaBrite also) is tough to beat.

Obviously it's a solvent.. I try to stay away from cable ends, go as lightly as possible around seals, etc.. but I have yet to do, see, or hear of any damage 1st hand from using S-100.

Little chain maintenance is due after you rinse the bike off (volumes posted about chain care, take your pick there, they all work pretty well as long as you pick one and stick with it).  Compressed air is handy to dry your bike off if you have a compressor.

Clean that bike up!

Grin
JoDuc

07 S2R1K

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »

I'm actually still trying to figure it out myself....

I used the S100 and it left a residue everywhere on the bike. This weekend I bought some regular car wash soap and I'm planning on using that for the whole bike.

After I dry her, then I'll use only use the S100 on the tank, fender and cowl.

Nothing really gets too dirty except the wheels.... Maybe I'll put the S100 on there too? Not sure....  Undecided
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »

I use Macguire's quick detail for the cowl and tank.  For the wheels, I use Goo Gone liquid gel first, followed by the quick detail spray and a micro cloth.

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »

I use regular car wash stuff on the tank & cowl & shine it up with express wax & such.  On the motor & wheels I use Simple Green or Go Green cleaner.  Squirt onto the grimy parts, rub the really dirty stuff, rinse good.  Seems to work good for me. 

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »

I've heard lots of good stuff about s-100 but never really have been anal about cleaning my bike, mostly just soap and water, and a little watered down simple green on the really dirty spots on the motor.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
TJR178

2004 Monster S4R, 2010 HD FLHRC

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »

I bought some Motorex cleaner last time since there was no S-100 left.  I like it!  It's probably the same formulation, or damn close.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »

I use regular car wash stuff on the tank & cowl & shine it up with express wax & such.  On the motor & wheels I use Simple Green or Go Green cleaner.  Squirt onto the grimy parts, rub the really dirty stuff, rinse good.  Seems to work good for me. 

JM

careful with simple green. something in the formula eats aluminum. the navy has outlawed it on carriers because of how quickly it rots aluminum.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Bun-bun

2002 M620 Dark ie

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »

I wash the whole bike down, use Zymol car wash and a mitt, then hit the engine and the wheels with Zep orange cleaner, spray the whole thing off, and let it sit in the sun.

Question: Should I wax the painted bits? My bike is a dark, so it's not exactly "shiny" to begin with.

"A fanatic is a man who does what he knows God would do, if only god had all the facts of the matter" S.M. Stirling
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 04:19:51 AM »

Wax will alter the look of the finish, different products, different results, but there will be some shine.
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:31:47 AM »

s-100 is overkill for 80% of the bike.  It is expensive, so why waste it?  I use it for brake discs, rims, and any oily grime on the engine and transmission.  I use automotive washing soap for the rest of the bike.

mitt

raulduke

Classically Trained Chef and Pizza Delivery Driver

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »

it is getting to be time for a good wash....S100 only on the greasy bits...the rest just soap

Certified Organic and Cage Free
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: