Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:29:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New and a little lost...  (Read 13425 times)
never2loud
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »

Brian, it's funny - we were both writing replies at the same time.  I hit "Post" and I got the "Someone else has recently posted.  Do you still want to post?" message  laughingdp
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »

Brian, it's funny - we were both writing replies at the same time.  I hit "Post" and I got the "Someone else has recently posted.  Do you still want to post?" message  laughingdp

i'm on my fourth bike, and i still don't know how to ride...   Undecided   no but really, i'm still figuring it out.

and if you want an idea of which bike Lisa (n2f) likes more...just look at what bike *doesn't* make a mention in her sig....

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »

Welcome Ryan

You really are starting off right by taking the time to get opinions before buying. There are many ways to go, but I have to agree that I am glad I got the 695 as my first Duc'. There are indeed times I lust after that dry clutch sound, but that is a very different issue (I’m a dryclutchaphile, BTW). For now I'll simply tap my tambourine after starting my bike to get the fix.  laughingdp

The bottom line is that you have to decide what your needs are for a bike on a day-to-day basis. Since I use mine to commute in traffic a few times a week, the bike it right for me. However, there are some who commute on SBK's <svoloch>. So, I guess it really depends on the individual.

Good luck with the decision. There are many folks out there who wish they had the opportunity to have such a decision to make.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:39:38 AM by caffeinejunkee » Logged
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »

When you hear the words "Here, hold my beer, watch me do this" you will know you are in the presence of greatness! waytogo

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

Secondly, don't listen to them when they say to stay away from me... well... hmmm, maybe that's not bad advice after all. Tongue

In the end, we all become assimilated into the Fastwin point of view.  Old bikes never die, they just get stored and kept forever.  ...........Or was it, never sell a bike, just put it on a battery tender.  One or the other.  It's all good.  [moto]

cdc
Ideapimp

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 11:20:51 AM »

Thanks guys and gals. I'm lovin' all the great feedback. Lemme answer some questions, or concerns.

1 - I've had too many friends who ride and who have scared me into being fully suited up and very defensive on the streets. I'll never straddle a bike without my proper gear on out of shear terror of what could happen.

2 - I'm aware nobody sees or cares. My good friend once told me to get the loudest pipes I could find and ride with the brights on whenever possible. "You want them to see, hear and smell you coming a mile away" he used to tell me. Smart guy.

3 - I'm not as worried about outgrowing the 696 as I am not sure it's just the bike I want. I honestly think I'll just have to be super careful on the sport 1000 simply because it feels more like "me." Does that make sense? I think the monster's are beautiful, but I don't know if I see myself on it. I'll have to try it out.
Jester

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »

waytogo to what the others have said.  Fastwin's post is on point for sure.  I have the air cooled 800 and hang with the more powerful bikes no problemo.  Yes you might get passed on the straights, but twisting the wrist is the easiest thing to do on any motorcycle and takes no skill!  The smaller monsters/bikes have plenty of oomph to stay with the group.

I was torn between selling or keeping my monster, fearing I've outgrown it, but really its a hoot to ride and you can rag the snot out of the bike once you become more comfortable with your skills.  They have more potential than you think, despite the lack of raw horsepower.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
fastwin
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

Good answers, good point of view, you'll go far! Hey, get whatever bike you want and whichever one spins your prop. As CJ said, what a nice position to be in. Hmmm, let me see... which Ducati do I want to buy, hmmm.

Sports 1000s are great bikes, no two ways about it. No argument here. If you do go that route you might consider the "comfort bars" that Ducati offers. They are about 3-4 inches taller than stock and make a HUGE difference in hand/wrist pressure and general comfort. You're 29 and can probably handle it stock without a second thought but you might look into it. I bet Jim/BarneePhife would agree. By the way, they will not fit the "S" model with the half fairing, only the un-faired model. They also make a "comfort" seat replacement. Yet another life saver that does nothing to hinder the sporting nature of the bike but is totally worth the $$$ in the long run.

Seriously, it would be a great excuse for us to get together and hang out so if you want to meet some of the DFW crew at AMS/Dallas and talk bikes just let us know. waytogo We are always looking for a reason to go down to AMS and take up space. I hope they took down that picture of me behind the counter with "don't let him in again/call police" written on it. Evil

ps  Ryan, while you are listening to Lisa also add Jester to the list! waytogo
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:51:40 AM by fastwin » Logged
fastwin
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »

Ryan, one last thing. Will your wife be riding two up with you occasionally? Whether she will or not could influence your choice of bikes. Any feedback out there folks on this issue? ... I'll be quiet now. Lips Sealed
Ideapimp

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »

Will your wife be riding two up with you occasionally? Whether she will or not could influence your choice of bikes.

Yes, almost forgot that part. After I get a little comfy with the bike she'll want to ride with me. Probably not for great, long trips, but around town for sure. So yeah, there's that.

LYD

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

2 - I'm aware nobody sees or cares. My good friend once told me to get the loudest pipes I could find and ride with the brights on whenever possible. "You want them to see, hear and smell you coming a mile away" he used to tell me. Smart guy.

First let me say welcome to the group.  Everything everyone is telling is exactly correct.  There are many many many years of experience here in the group.  As for your quote I strogly agree!!  I think I have the loudest bike in the group with the D&D exhaust.  (anyone care to differ) (probally not)  Even cdc said you will need earplugs if you ride near me. I also drive with the high beams on in the day and I have a yellow bike and yellow gear. I think it helps me stand out.  There have been a couple of us who have been in really bad accidents, and would NEVER ride without proper gear.  This group always wears the proper gear!!  My 1st and 2nd ducs were 750 monsters and would go plenty for the riding we do.  The only reason I have a 900 now is to make george (caffeinejunkie) jealous with the open clutch ( and I bought it off a fellow DFWM for the right price).  Look around take your time, you will find something.  ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!  no such thing as a dumb question.  We might make fun of you a little, but someone in this group will have the right answer.

Good luck and hope to meet you soon!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:16:26 PM by littleyellowduc » Logged

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »

The only reason I have a 900 now is to make george (caffeinejunkie) jealous with the open clutch ( and I bought it off a fellow DFWM for the right price).

you are planning on putting a clutch cover on that thing soon, right?  i rode mine too/from Scott's place sans cover, (no plastics on either) and have to say that it's more than a little intimidating having a freaking meat/ankle grinder just spinning right there...scott and randy i think were a little "wtf" when they got on to take it for a spin...i know scott was reaching for his Sidi's.  i'm just sayin' man...

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

Definitely enjoy shopping for your bike and gear. Go by MotoLiberty off of I35 & Royal to try on all the gear you want. The folks there are great to do business with. Take the wife as well, they have a large stock ofwomen's gear that works as opposed to the fashion stuff thats worn on pillion.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
fastwin
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »

Yes, almost forgot that part. After I get a little comfy with the bike she'll want to ride with me. Probably not for great, long trips, but around town for sure. So yeah, there's that.

Yeah, yeah, I know I said I would shut up earlier but just give me a minute. Angry Ryan, if your wife may go for an occasional spin and you want the Sports 1000 you will have to look into the 2007 or 2008 models since they are biposto (two seater) versions of that model. The 2006 Sports 1000s like mine, Jim's and Scott's Paul Smart are all single seat only with no passenger pegs. I don't think AMS has one but I'm sure you could find a left over 2006 single seat version for a good discount. But that requires you convincing your wife to never ride with you. I'm married but I don't have a problem with the wife ever riding with me... it's a long story. Tongue Again, they are great bikes but you may need to stick with the newer passenger friendly models.
Ideapimp

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »

if your wife may go for an occasional spin and you want the Sports 1000 you will have to look into the 2007 or 2008 models since they are biposto (two seater) versions of that model.

Ah, great tip. Well, that's perfect. Guess I'll be spending more money than I thought.  Anyone selling a '07 for a song?  Grin
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »

'07 SC down in Austin for sale, it's a GT1000 not the Sport1000.  It's had one tip over and it's looks to be pretty stock.  Check out the Austin craigslist.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: