Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 01:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New and a little lost...  (Read 13643 times)
Ideapimp

« on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:50 AM »

Well, I've posted an introduction in two different places and keep getting routed to different boards, or at least forums within the boards. I think I FINALLY might be on the right one.

The quick version:
ryan
29, married, two dogs
Just took my rider course and had a blast
Live in East Dallas, very near arboretum
Have always wanted a Ducati - Looking hard at the Sport 1000 and also Monsters
Want to make some new friends who can help me into the life
Have owned, worked on, been member of boards for both domestic (F-body) and Import (scion tC and 350z) cars.

So, who's gonna help the newbie spend way too much money? Smiley
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:14:14 AM »

you are in the right place.

So...  who has an opinion on ducati motorcycles around here?

If you are heading to AMS this week, let me know, and I might be able to meet you there and we can talk face to face...  otherwise, it might be the right time for a "which ducati is best" thread battle!!!

For me, I love the sport classics and the superbikes, but also love the monsters...

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
Ideapimp

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »

If you are heading to AMS this week, let me know, and I might be able to meet you there and we can talk face to face...

AMS?

See what I mean? Gotta help the newbie.  Grin
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »

AMS?

See what I mean? Gotta help the newbie.  Grin

start here:  http://www.advancedmotorsports.com/

waytogo

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
Ideapimp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 08:28:50 AM »

Ah yes, I have been there. Got my gloves for the training course and drooled over some bikes.

I'm really liking the looks and the way the sport 1000 feels. The monsters are great too, but there's something about that classic cafe racer look that gets me. I tossed around the idea of getting the 696 for a bit, but from what I keep hearing I'll be pissed in a few months that I dumped all that money on it when I outgrow it. The popular opinion is that I get the S2 if I do decide to go with the monster.

I think I can handle having the extra power and being responsible about it. I'm a little older and wiser (not much, but hopefully enough) than a lot of teens or early twenty-something folks that get their first bike. I don't want to do anything stupid. I just want to ride responsibly, get comfortable, and eventually try out the track days.
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:38:58 AM »

you are in the right place.

So...  who has an opinion on ducati motorcycles around here?

If you are heading to AMS this week, let me know, and I might be able to meet you there and we can talk face to face...  otherwise, it might be the right time for a "which ducati is best" thread battle!!!

For me, I love the sport classics and the superbikes, but also love the monsters...

it's worth noting that patrick is also a huge fan of the multistrada.

FWIW, though...i don't know how quickly you would really "outgrow" a bike like the 696...it has some pretty respectable specs.  my first three bikes were all 800 or smaller and i never got to the point where i thought i needed something more (the only thing i need more of are track days to get better at cornering).  but i guess i don't know what kind of riding you have in mind, either...track, touring, street...

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Ideapimp

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:41:08 AM »

Mainly street right now. Maybe a few nice rides around the area. Be nice to not depend on my z with the price of gas headed in the direction it is.
newslacker

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:03:41 AM »

Get an S4Rs. Remove all plastic. Replace bars with clipons... you probably won't outgrow it and maintenance costs are virtually the same as the other models in the lineup. The liquid cooled engine is to die for IMO.

There are additional side benefits of this particular model as well. After 2 years and 14k miles I can now crush walnuts with my left hand and give crazy indian burns with my right.  Grin

2007 S4Rs
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum!  Sorry you had so many problems finding the right place, but now that you're here - it was worth the trouble!

Sport 1000?  Great choice!  (no, I'm not biased)  cheeky

Keep your eyes on the used SC1000 market.  I saw one with low miles on ebay go for under $6500 last week.  If you're patient, and willing to shop around and travel a little, there are deals to be had.  The bike is very nice indeed!  It's my first Duc, so I can't offer a valid comparison to any other Duc's, but depending on your riding experience and expectations, the SC1000 is a very good blend of many elements (retro styling, modern reliability, not quite comfort, not quite 1098 seating, and fun to ride).

There are a couple of other local owners of the Sport Classic line (Duc L'Smart - Paul Smart, and fastwin - SC1000 Back in Black edition)

Here's some more pics of my bike...
http://www.barneephife.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=680

- Jim

• 2006 Ducati SportClassic 1000
  • 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »

Ryan if you want we could meet up sometime and talk bikes. I'm right up the street from you. We might even be able to go by Brians place for a peak at virtually the whole ducati line up. Or maybe for a few test rides at AMS. I'm dying to try the 696 and HM

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »

....Have always wanted a Ducati - Looking hard at the Sport 1000 and also Monsters

Nobody tell Jim about Ryan, he might think of selling his Sport Classic again to buy a Corvette (bad idea).  Fortunately he is out of town.  Oops too late!

So, who's gonna help the newbie spend way too much money? Smiley

Everyone on this board can help you spend your money.  That's not necessarily a good thing.  Stay away from Brian (Fastwin) or you'll end up with more bikes than fingers.  James, or you'll need a dictionary or thesaurus.  Alan (LYD/BLQ), or you'll need earplugs.  Me. or you'll grow old before you get to 30.   Grin

Oh, welcome! We have at least three guys with Sport classics.  Brian's Black on Black SPort Classic 1000, Scott (L'Smart) has a Limited editon Paul Smart and the previously mention Jim has a Black Sport Classic, which he thought of selling to buy a Corvette until his wife talked him out of it.  Smart wife.

The current 696 is said to have as much HP as the old 800 and early 900s but certainly not the torque of the bigger motors.  It is always easier to start smaller.  Less initial investment.  If you decide at some point you don't want to do it or if it is stolen or crashed your loss is less.  But we always end up wanting more.  for some it is immediate for others they love the nimbleness of the smaller bikes.  I started with a superbike and now have a Monster.  Great for city riding and longer rides.  Although I don't want to tour on them some swear by them as good touring bikes too.  BIg bike or small, you can adjust but it is more tempting to twist that right wrist with bigger bikes than with smaller bikes.

I told you you'll get older quicker if you hang around me.

sucking up to Monster owners again, eh?

cdc
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:05:59 AM »

To be honest, there isn't anything wrong with starting off with a litle bike that won't break your heart when you drop it. The ninja 250 is considered the ideal starter bike bc its cheap and you can sell it for virtually the same price you paid for it.

I started on a M620 and have been hooked since.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
fastwin
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »

... I don't want to do anything stupid. I just want to ride responsibly, get comfortable, and eventually try out the track days.

OK, first off, since you are a bikeless newbie please leave the important stuff like doing "anything stupid" to us old pros! It takes years of exerience and many bikes to achieve an expert level and professional capability of doing "anything stupid" correctly. Nothing worse than having to witness lame, wanker, rookie acts of stupidity. Just stand back and watch grasshopper. When you hear the words "Here, hold my beer, watch me do this" you will know you are in the presence of greatness! waytogo

Secondly, don't listen to them when they say to stay away from me... well... hmmm, maybe that's not bad advice after all. Tongue

DO NOT think a 695 or 696 is too small and you will outgrow it tomorrow. Mondo mistake for a new rider. Go down and cruise a couple of wings of the hospital and check out all the yahoos that thought they needed a Suzuki GSXR1000 for their first bike. I have been on lots of rides with these guys and several have 695s and I haven't exactly seen any of them get left in the dust by bigger bikes. Those 695s are really nice scooters and the new 696 is supposed to be even better. It's not like a 800cc S2R Monster or a 1000cc Sports Classic is too much bike, but you should grasp the idea and get comfortable with the concept of starting out slowly. And by "slow" I do not mean small, slow as molasses bikes. I mean take things slowly and learn how to ride and how to survive first, you are a long way from being in a place to start worrying about being "under-biked".

WARNING: DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE READ THIS! Ask any of us and we will all tell you it is a god damn combat zone out there! You think it's bad in your 350Z? Try that commute to work on a bike with no street experience! It will scare the hell out of you. Get used to the fact that no one in a car sees you or cares you are there and even if they do you are fair game to be pushed around or run over. They won't even drop a cell call or miss a text message in the process! Sorry, but it's true and you might as well hear it from me now because you will hear it a lot. This long winded BS (... I know, he'll get used to it. Angry) goes back to the idea of starting out slowly on a bike that's not "too much bike". Hey, you will save money on a 695/696 over the bigger bikes too! waytogo Lastly, get the proper gear. I could care less what bike you get but I do care that you have a good helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. It will help you live longer.

OK, end of long winded BS, now back to your regular programing...

fastwin/Brian

ps  by the way welcome to the madness! I also live near White Rock Lake.
never2loud
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the DFWM Forum.  My first bike was a Monster 620; never ridden a motorcycle.  Rode the crap outta that bike... something like 18,000 miles in a year but decided I wanted something a little better for track days.

Sold the Monster to someone here on this forum and bought a 999.  AWESOME motorcycle that'll scare you to death anytime you take it out!  There is a reason they call it a "superbike."

Anyway, great bike on the track (now if I were even a 1/10th as great a rider as my bike... THEN I'd be on to something   laughingdp ), and a reasonably decent bike for the street.  My only issue with it around town is it's like killing a fly with a bazooka; way too much bike for around town, IMHO.

So long story long  Roll Eyes , I bought my old Monster back and kept the 999 for track days and nice long rides in the country.  

Reader's Digest Version:

620/695 Monster = good, all round fun bike
Ducati Superbike = awesome track weapon

Hope this helps!

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:48:55 AM by n2f » Logged
fastwin
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 10:52:11 AM »

Ryan, listen to Lisa! There, that short post made up for the earlier novel! Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: