Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:56:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New and a little lost...  (Read 13752 times)
LYD

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »

you are planning on putting a clutch cover on that thing soon, right?  i rode mine too/from Scott's place sans cover, (no plastics on either) and have to say that it's more than a little intimidating having a freaking meat/ankle grinder just spinning right there...scott and randy i think were a little "wtf" when they got on to take it for a spin...i know scott was reaching for his Sidi's.  i'm just sayin' man...

nope, Not anytime soon!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 02:34:20 PM »

nope, Not anytime soon!

Focus people, new guy needs advice not threadjacking here  Police

This little community of Ducatisti is pretty good about helping each other out, so don't hesitate to ask for some help.   waytogo

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
newslacker

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »

I thought this was the Monster board! Get on a 695, let your wife inherit that when you upgrade to the S4Rs. I don't see what the fuss is about. Roll Eyes

2007 S4Rs
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

Ah, great tip. Well, that's perfect. Guess I'll be spending more money than I thought.  Anyone selling a '07 for a song?  Grin

There are some new '06's still on showroom floors (but they are monoposto) for about $8995 now.  So, the '07's are still going for pretty much MSRP unless you can find a dealership willing to deal.  If you're wanting to do some serious shopping and research on the SC, PM me and I'll tell you about two other sites that have a larger SC community.  I don't want to distract you from this forum though.  I've never owned a Monster, and this group of folks has been the best online community I've been involved with!  chug  So, even if you do end up with an SC, be sure to stick around.

That said...

I guess I didn't realize your riding experience level.  While an SC1000 isn't really a starter bike, just about any bike can out-perform the riding capabilities of any new rider - and especially any irresponsible rider.  Based on your actions and comments so far, it sounds like you're not the irresponsible type.  My wife keeps asking me to teach her how to ride my SC1000.  She's got a good amount of street experience on a Stella scooter, but there's no way I'm going to subject anyone to learning (or at least, getting comfortable with a full size bike) on an SC1000.  Depending on your true riding experience, and the rate you'll likely to pick it up and saddle time, I'd tend to agree with many others that a 695/696 is a very appropriate bike to keep on your list (plus it's thousands less than an 07 SC1000).  It's no piddly scooter, but it's no liter bike.  However, a Monster will take you across the spectrum of most new riders' experience for the first several thousands of miles of street riding.  Plus, there's a much deeper and wider wealth of knowledge and mods for Monsters than for Sport Classics.  In fact, that would be my biggest complaint about my SC1000 - limited mods and much smaller population of riders/vendors/dealers with model-specific knowledge.

Most of the time, if you have a question about a Monster, someone in this crowd will have an answer half way through your sentence.  cheeky

Either way - the researching/searching/learning can be as fun finally buying the bike.  Have a good time, and don't get too bogged down in the process.  Ultimately, buy what you want, what you can afford, and what you will enjoy riding - and ride responsibly and safely!  [moto]

• 2006 Ducati SportClassic 1000
  • 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
calscrazy

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

695 owner and damn proud of it. love it love it love it. i have had three bikes and this by far is the funnest i have had. a million times better than the katana i had and my brothers gsx-r. i like the gsx-r don't get me wrong but when you ride a duc it's whole new world!!! plus you should see the look on those "OTHER" guys faces when you pull up and give her a little gas (ask alan or scott also). call me about exhaust i have some new ideas plus i have a pair of stock cans i need a reason to cut, weld and paint on. [moto]

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
fastwin
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

Good comments from Jim regarding the Sport 1000s. Anyone can tell you that Ducatis tend to get modified by their owners... you can even call it "personalizing" the bike. Some mods are performance enhancements that just so happen to be visually better and some are just visual/bling stuff. But it's hard to find a pre-owned Ducati that is bone stock. And that is where the Sports Classic line does lag behind. As cool as they are and as good as they are they are not Monsters and Monsters sale-wise are the backbone of the company. They have been produced in great numbers since 1993 and there are a ton of aftermarket parts available for Monsters. Not true of the Sport Classic bikes. It's not that you can't get parts for them. Far from it. It's just the number of aftermarket parts available isn't close to the options you have owning a Monster of any kind. There is not nearly as many Sports Classic bikes out there on the road and who do you want to make a groovy machined from billet part for? Make a part for a hundred thousand Monsters or ten thousand Sports Classics? It's just business.

As said before, get what you want. But once again you could save some good up front cash on a 695 (especailly with the 696s ready to hit the showrooms... read: discount!) that will carry the spouse for the 2 up riding you might do. There are a lots (and I do mean lots!) of cool aftermarket and Ducati Performance factory goodies for the 695 when the "mod disease" hits you. And it will! Evil I don't know about you but is everyone enjoying this man's dilemma as much as I am? Evil Buying a bike is an emotional experience (anyone care to differ?) it's not like buying a kitchen sink disposal. Get the bike you would love to see sitting in your garage every night. Buy the bike that makes you take off from work early just so you can get home and take it for a spin. Does this sound familiar to anyone? laughingdp We will all just sit back and vicariously enjoy your buying experience. Vino!

Hey, wait a minute, didn't I promise to shut up a few posts ago?... whatever, as if?.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:18:43 PM by fastwin » Logged
Ideapimp

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »

Well, the plan is to run down to TXDOT tomorrow morning and take the written test, get that pretty little "M" on my license. Smiley

Sounds like a few of you are within a few blocks of me. Would love to meet you. After work tomorrow I'll be knocking around the house mowing the yard and such. Anyone in the Lakewood / Little Forest Hills / Casa Linda area wanna swing by the casa and show off their bike. Maybe you can convince me off of the 1000?  Might even have a beer in the fridge for 'ya since it's so hot out Wink

Shoot me a PM and lemme know.
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »

I live in that same area. I'll send you a PM

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
shadowcougar1

2007 Ducati 999S "Team USA"

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »

First off, welcome to the gang!  chug

Now some of my 2 cents...  coffee
All ducatis, being twins, have fairly linear power...  As such, you are less likely to get into trouble due to jerky throtle control on an air cooled 1000cc twin than on a 600cc inline 4.  However, the 1000 aircooled engine is still plenty powerful to get you in trouble if you are not very comfortable on a bike (or not as naturally gifted with such things)...

The new 696 has as much power as an SV650, which is much more than you will need for the street, while still giving you great gas mileage. There is also nothing wrong with starting with an used small bike until you are more comfortable and "in tune" with a bike. i.e. the SV650, a ninja 250, a ninja 650 (the twin cilinder one), and the monster 600/620/695/750.  Then you can use them as a down-payment towards your dream bike.
Everyone dumps their bike sooner or later... you may as well do it with a bike you don't care about as much and that are cheaper to fix.

At the end of the day, do what you believe is best for you.  There are no "right" answers, just some better advice than others.

Now go nuts!  waytogo

Don't know what to say anymore...
fastwin
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 06:46:56 PM »

Yo, Bryant is within rock throwing distance of your lawn mowing party. I'm pretty darn close myself. Good to know that there are more Ducati folks (or future Ducati folks) in the neighborhood. Again, let us know if you want to have a meet and greet at AMS or somewhere else for scooter talk. We aren't bashful about expressing our bike opinions!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:52:59 PM by fastwin » Logged
hiero

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »

hey, I still have my sweet little M750 which has way less power than even a 620! and I still have a freakin blast on the thing and it's never leaving my hands as far as I know...

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
shadowcougar1

2007 Ducati 999S "Team USA"

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »

hey, I still have my sweet little M750 which has way less power than even a 620! and I still have a freakin blast on the thing and it's never leaving my hands as far as I know...

yep... If I had enough money I would have kept my 620 (a much better street bike than the 999).

Don't know what to say anymore...
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

Yeah, I miss my M620.  I may have to find another one and mod the hell out of it  Grin

2008 848
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »

Focus people,.....

Hey that's my line.

cdc
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:19:47 PM by cdc » Logged
Centerline

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »

Well, I've posted an introduction in two different places and keep getting routed to different boards, or at least forums within the boards. I think I FINALLY might be on the right one.

The quick version:
ryan
29, married, two dogs
Just took my rider course and had a blast
Live in East Dallas, very near arboretum
Have always wanted a Ducati - Looking hard at the Sport 1000 and also Monsters
Want to make some new friends who can help me into the life
Have owned, worked on, been member of boards for both domestic (F-body) and Import (scion tC and 350z) cars.

So, who's gonna help the newbie spend way too much money? Smiley

I will help you spend way to much money.
Get...
1. A Sport 1000
2. Any Monster...they don't call them that for nothing
3. A 1098
4. Hypermotard

05 KTM 950 Adventure
07 Husqvarna TE 450
09 HD Fat Bob
09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: