Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:27:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695324 times)
DucRS

« Reply #1410 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »

Started to notice rippling on my "08" S4RS.
Local Duc dealer closed shop and I was wondering if I could go to any Duc Dealer to have my tank replaced? and does it come in it's original color?

94 pages of info Shocked

Black S4RS                               Black Multi S - Sold
Carbon Red Diavel                     ST4S abs - Sold
620 Red.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1411 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:30 AM »

Started to notice rippling on my "08" S4RS.
Local Duc dealer closed shop and I was wondering if I could go to any Duc Dealer to have my tank replaced? and does it come in it's original color?

94 pages of info Shocked

Yes, go to any dealer.  SOME dealers will allow you to take extensive photos and email them (with bike info, i.e. VIN) and then verify when you come in for the replacement.

Give the dealer you go to a call first if they are far away and ask if you can do that.

I have HEARD that you can request any color you want.  Some dealers swapped bike colors on new bikes to suit a buyer's request.  I had a friend who did this on his new bike, he wanted a silver/black but wanted the S2R800, so the dealer swapped the tang with silver and he paid $250 extra for the swap.

Give them a call.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1412 on: April 20, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »

New tank is on the way. 

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1413 on: April 20, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Contacted Ducati NA customer service with my personal explanation and observations of this debacle.  From providing OE tanks that were never designed to hold Ethanol content fuels (despite it being in fuel mixtures from as early as 2002) to supplying substandard quality on replacement tanks I have had enough.  Ducati fighting this event is just a signal they don't really want to do right by the customer, but are clearing the shelves of old tanks (as evidenced by earlier pics showing 2005 manufacture dates).

Working at GM (yes, I know boo hiss), it's clear to me that if GM tried to pull this stunt they'd be publicly loathed and financially affected. They would also suffer reduced sales numbers in years following a major problem like this.  These details were noted in the letter to DNA with pics of the tank in question.  And its funhouse surfacing, orange peel / scratch paint with offset mold lines at the centerline of the filler neck.  Close proximity to prototypes concept cars for the last 20 years teaches you how to tell well-made products from poor ones, so these details stick out like acetone covered thumbtacks to me.

Of course, I'm venting here but the communiqué was written far more diplomatically.  We will see if I hear anything more after it reaches their service department.  I'll post anything new when it comes my way.
ducgrl

« Reply #1414 on: April 20, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »

So your saying that there are no new tanks being made? so in say 5+ years, when they depleted their inventory of tanks, then we are all screwed?

2008 S2R1000
2011 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1415 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:28 AM »

sounds like we're all make the beast with two backsed.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
muskrat

« Reply #1416 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »

I still can't believe this shit's going on.  Maybe TPG can take them over (again) and put some spring in their step like before.  Considering their sales are down from last  year and BMW is up 12% they better look at the brand again before pissing so many people off or sue Acerbis.  Either way this shit better get resolved because with options like Aprilia and BMW at lower prices those brands are looking mighty fine these days.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1417 on: April 21, 2011, 08:00:34 AM »

Aprilia uses the same tanks and owners are having the same issues.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
muskrat

« Reply #1418 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »

huh, that I didn't know.  lesson learned for today  waytogo
still though $15k versus $22k, I'll take the $15K with tank problems.  Tongue

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1419 on: April 21, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »

As Izaak pointed out, several manufacturers are experiencing the same issues with the Acerbis sourced nylon fuel tanks.  I'm curious to see if MV is using their tanks, as that is most likely the next bike I get.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #1420 on: April 21, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »

I would not bet my first born that the date on the bottom of the tank was when it was molded.   It isn't unusual to see molding places never change the date insert in mold tools...

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1421 on: April 21, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »

I would not bet my first born that the date on the bottom of the tank was when it was molded.   It isn't unusual to see molding places never change the date insert in mold tools...

That's interesting, except that there is a second hand stamp which shows the tank was inspected by Ducati, the date is in 2006, I can't make out the month, but it looks like 3/2006, which would mean the tank was inspected a year after being made, which I have to assume is a final QA before assembly.

so someone forgot to change the date on their hand stamp too
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:09:51 PM by ducatiz » Logged

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1422 on: April 21, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »

As Izaak pointed out, several manufacturers are experiencing the same issues with the Acerbis sourced nylon fuel tanks.  I'm curious to see if MV is using their tanks, as that is most likely the next bike I get.

i'm really suprised that it's still going on when it's multiple manufacturers sourcing from the same supplier...  with that many of their customers having issues, you would think acerbis would have done something about it already.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1423 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:17 AM »

i'm really suprised that it's still going on when it's multiple manufacturers sourcing from the same supplier...  with that many of their customers having issues, you would think acerbis would have done something about it already.
They have...

their lawyers are in a huddle as we speak.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1424 on: April 22, 2011, 04:43:15 AM »

It really sucks that Acerbis put such a product into market without proper testing.
It also really sucks that none of the manufacturers thought of doing their OWN quality control.
It also boils down (IMO) to the fact that Ducati (and whomever else) CHOSE to use a plastic fuel tank in the first place.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: