Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695332 times)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #2100 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »

i haven't heard any of this. 

i would like to know the particulars of their tank and coating.

the multi people i've been in touch with haven't had any issues at all -- over 2 years and counting,

Here's one example:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/125688-caswell-prepped-tank-warping.html

I've seen a few other areas where people were talking about it as well, and will try to find them later.  There's been some talk on the SD world where one or two people have had their tanks coated and shown signs of swelling as well.  Granted, all of these are speaking to isolated incidents, and there is no way to tell if the coating was done properly or not, but it's still worrisome. 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2101 on: December 29, 2011, 06:24:56 AM »

Here's one example:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/125688-caswell-prepped-tank-warping.html

I've seen a few other areas where people were talking about it as well, and will try to find them later.  There's been some talk on the SD world where one or two people have had their tanks coated and shown signs of swelling as well.  Granted, all of these are speaking to isolated incidents, and there is no way to tell if the coating was done properly or not, but it's still worrisome. 

I think the issue is lack of coverage.  A poster in that thread says he put a bore scope into his tank and found uncovered areas after doing it the first time.  Adding the gel coat tint is a smart choice.

The thickness of the solution is a problem.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2102 on: December 29, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »

Gel Coat Tint would be must for that reason!  (or a carbon/kevlar/aluminum tank as replacement!)

xsephirot

« Reply #2103 on: December 29, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »

I think the issue is lack of coverage.  A poster in that thread says he put a bore scope into his tank and found uncovered areas after doing it the first time.  Adding the gel coat tint is a smart choice.

The thickness of the solution is a problem.

What people don't realize is that even spinning the caswell while coating it doesn't completely cover the tank. I saw another thread where Caswell recommended a couple oz. of some dilute so that it would be easier to spread.
Frisco

« Reply #2104 on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »

Gene

I appreciate your point of view, always.

However, the only tanks I know of that have had problems after being coated are due to a bad coating job being done.  Either the prep of the tank, the mixing, or the coating hasn't been applied to the entire surface.  If there is even a small area of exposure, the tank could still absorb water and deform.  I have to assume that covering most of the inside will prevent deformation, but clearly, all of it is preferable.  Precipitate water will sink to the bottom, but condensate water will stick to the top until it drips down.

However, there is no doubt that the right coatings adhere and also no doubt that they are impervious to ethanol/water/fuel.

Dealers never give a warranty on aftermarket work like this, it's just not done.  If you get a dealer to install HC pistons, see what kind of warranty on your engine you get -- nothing. 

CA provides a warranty on their tanks because 1) he is the manufacturer and sole reseller and makes all the money off the sale and 2) he knows without a doubt the tank is impervious to water and ethanol.  In the case of a dealer, he isn't the maker of the coating nor the tank and is only making a small amount from the labor of coating the tank -- the economy of scale isn't there.  CA's warranty is a manufacturer warranty, not a dealer's.

Lastly, I think your storing your bike in a environmentally controlled area is probably the best prevention given the real culprit is water as in condensation or humidity. 

If the coating works and is a viable solution then why won't DNA have them coated? They certainly could find a reputable shop to coat them - they don't mfg the tank in the first place but they warranty the tank? The cost of replacing another tank is 1/10the the cost of a new tank - of course I know they aren't paying $2K to the tank mfg but if it is a viable long term solution then why won;t they coat it and get a reputable shop to do it that will give them some type of warranty for the volume?  My guess is the coating isn;t a good long term fix or else Duc would have taken the economical way out - just my thoughts.

2007 S4RS
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #2105 on: December 29, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

This reminds me of the flaking rocker problem a few years back.  Ducati replaced the rockers but a friend had to go aftermarket to finally fix the problem.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2106 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:31 AM »

If the coating works and is a viable solution then why won't DNA have them coated? They certainly could find a reputable shop to coat them - they don't mfg the tank in the first place but they warranty the tank? The cost of replacing another tank is 1/10the the cost of a new tank - of course I know they aren't paying $2K to the tank mfg but if it is a viable long term solution then why won;t they coat it and get a reputable shop to do it that will give them some type of warranty for the volume?  My guess is the coating isn;t a good long term fix or else Duc would have taken the economical way out - just my thoughts.

Homologation. DNA can't just coat the tanks before selling the bike. It would only make sense if they sold it as "after market".

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2107 on: December 30, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »

+1.  In this case Ducati is the manufacturer even though there is a third party supplier. Very likely they've got to submit homologated samples for inspection and whatnot. 

Perhaps only way to make it truly uniform at the manufacturing level is to dip/submerge bare tank prior to prep/paint, which would require an intermediate additional surface prep step prior to paint booth.   (Just having uncaffienated brainstorm session while watching a bit of foosball)

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2108 on: December 30, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »

there are multiple ways to apply a coating.  the stuff we get from retailers isn't the same as what a manufacturer would use -- they even have stuff that can be spray-applied which comes out a bit liquid and thickens very quickly.

tons of NIOSH issues with that stuff as it is apparently a formic acid adhesion promoter, but that's why it can be so liquid-like.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
jgrm1

« Reply #2109 on: December 31, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »

So, I had my third tank installed yesterday.  I trailered the bike to the dealership and had them leave the tank dry.  I also bought a quick disconnect that I can use to make draining the tank easier.  So, now I have a decision to make.  

Do I:

A)  Line the tank with Caswells, hope for complete coverage, and risk the remaining warranty
B)  Line the tank with another coating, hope for complete coverage, and risk the remaining warranty
C)  Use K100 snake oil
D)  Drain the tank after each ride and transfer the fuel to my BMW
E)  All of the above?

-Jeff
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:23:55 AM by jgrm1 » Logged

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2110 on: December 31, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »

A)  Line the tank with Caswells, hope for complete coverage, and risk the remaining warranty
B)  Line the tank with another coating, hope for complete coverage, and risk the remaining warranty
C)  Use K100 snake oil
D)  Drain the tank after each ride and transfer the fuel to my BMW
E)  All of the above?

I would use the Caswells, but I would find a gelcoat color to tint it with so I could see the coverage.  It works.

Also, I have called K100 snake oil but after they sent me some documentation from a 3rd party that tested it, I am not so sure.  It looks like it may actually work to sequester water at least temporarily.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2111 on: December 31, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »

I'd use the Caswells and thin it to make coverage a no brainer.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2112 on: December 31, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »

I'd use the Caswells and thin it to make coverage a no brainer.

yeah, looks like xylene is the right thinner for it...

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2113 on: December 31, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »

yeah, looks like xylene is the right thinner for it...
I'm still not convinced that's the only 'right' thinner, but if people are happy using that and the manufacturer is good with it then I'm not going to argue.

I use what I have and haven't seen any issues.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2114 on: December 31, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »

I'm still not convinced that's the only 'right' thinner, but if people are happy using that and the manufacturer is good with it then I'm not going to argue.

I use what I have and haven't seen any issues.

how many have you coated and what are you using?

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: