Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695348 times)
ZOSO

« Reply #2205 on: January 14, 2012, 08:38:19 AM »

IZ, any thoughts?
I realize the website sells stuff so motives may be suspect . . .

http://www.fuel-testers.com/review_gas_treatment_products.html

Regarding K100:
"Comment from Fuel-Testers:   K100 marine brochure and website falsely state,  "Eliminates water and all water related problems"...."Stops phase seperation in E-10 fuel"; (Misleading and impossible claims - While it may "delay" phase separation, you're still left with gas that contains excess water and alcohol that will damage your engine)."

There’s a lady who’s sure all that glitters is gold . . .
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2206 on: January 14, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »

Iz or tiz?

Nothing removes water from fuel once it's mixed in.  (well, maybe combustion but you know what I mean...)

K100 apparently "sequesters" the water so it does not fully separate.

There is very little along the fuel path that would be harmed by the presence of water in solution -- except for the nylon tank.

The only reason I have said take a look at K100 is that they provided me with a 3rd party (customer-a refinery owned by Lukoil) test of the fuel.  K100 did not pay for the test nor did they request it, the customer wanted to test it to see if it would help in their changeover from G100 to G90 (i.e. E10) gasoline.  

I also contacted the makers of Stabil and Startron and they refused to provide anything, they emailed me literature that they produced.

My position is that NO fuel treatment should be left in a NYLON tank in the hopes of preventing water separation.  K100 looks like it actually has some success in dealing with water present, but if you're using your bike regularly and you are using a fuel treatment for short terms, then it might help some as it may keep the water from separating for a short term.

All of these fuel treatments help gasoline burn a little hotter intermittently so negative effects of the presence of water are mitigated.  You'll suffer a little in performance, but it wont gag your engine.

The only question I have is what effect will the fuel additive have on water in the fuel mixture and how long will it prevent it from separating and therefore, direct contact with the NYLON tank's wall?

(As a side comment, putting a small amount of water into your intakes will not destroy your engine.  Google "decoke pistons" and you can see videos of people spraying small amounts of water into a carburetor or diesel intake to help get crap off the pistons.  Likewise, there are water mist sprayers used for performance which spray a mist of water directly into the intake during load.)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:52:54 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
poseur

« Reply #2207 on: January 14, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »

highly doubt another Duc will be among the final list though.

Same here. No more Ducati for me. Such a shame. They really blew it.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2208 on: January 14, 2012, 09:29:32 AM »

Not only small amounts of water but some have implemented an entire steam cycle ("6 stroke") to get additional power out of the motor while simultaneously reducing chamber temps.  Pretty neat stuff (in that case you have a second tank for water only, not so convenient). As you said, the only place the water causes problems is in the tanks really

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2209 on: January 14, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »

I don't think Ducati blew it.

I think they've done a remarkable job of replacing tanks for the last 2+ years, although now I learn that Harley has been doing the same thing for their XR owners.

I do think they got scared or something and were misled.  Or someone at Ducati just wanted to end the ability of people to sue over it.

I think they were between a rock and a hard place.  I think if they had taken the coatings seriously, they could have found something that worked.

The problem with the coatings are the unknowns:  who is doing it?  what condition is the tank? how did they prep the tank? etc. 

After going over and over the stuff published from the case, I am convinced someone either totally misunderstands how to test such a product or wanted to make a showing that they did "something" to test it, regardless of how valid that test was.

I still love Ducati.  I'll probably buy another one next year (give me a little break, I just bought another one -- I am on a "buy 3 vintage, then buy one new" cycle and I need to move the old BMW first.)

I would even buy a bike with a plastic tank provided I could get it with no gas and coat the tank first. 

Well, at least the attorneys got paid. (and yes, I'm an attorney but this is part of the reason I never wanted to do this kind of law.  If you have tax issues and you're not hiding assets, you can call me...)

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #2210 on: January 14, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »

[beer]New tank installed today.  I'm going to start saving for aluminum tank Sad

Is the FI tank compatable with the S4Rs?

http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:23:47 PM by Grifo » Logged

2007 red S4Rs
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2211 on: January 14, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »

[beer]New tank installed today.  I'm going to start saving for aluminum tank Sad

The S4RS has a different shaped mounting flange than any other Monster.

I'd say it won't work with your parts.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #2212 on: January 14, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »

Maybe they will make a proper one for you-aren't they made to order?

muskrat

« Reply #2213 on: January 14, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

Ducati replaced tanks or Acebris?  that's the question I'd like to know.
In other news, I read the Lawyers made $835,000 on this deal.  Way to go, at least someone's happy.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
hillbillypolack

« Reply #2214 on: January 14, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »

Nice.  F#cked over the coals by believing that a company might 'do the right thing'.

I honestly didn't think anything different would result from this settlement or even the public response after posting it months ago.  I've given up thinking that Ducati is looking at anything else except for profit and gathering new, naive customers to the 'brand'.  It didn't used to be like that.  That's why I have more than one.  The older one.

Iz, while I appreciate your enthusiasm for Ducati and 'the little engine that could' I think you have to stop drinking the Kool Aid and see it differently.  I appreciate the 'small Italian company' and all that BS, but at some point you have to agree they are simply cowards on so many levels by not coming clean and admitting to a poor material spec.  That, in simple legalese is called negligence.  Nothing less.  Hiding behind a veil of a legal process tells me more about how the company treats its customers than I would have believed a year ago.

Coupled with the fact (referencable fact, via EIA.gov) that ethanol in fuels have been in North American gasolines since the early 1990s.  Ethanol's effects (and its ability to gather water into said fuel) in fuel containers should not have been a surprise to anyone by this late date.

Will I keep the bike?  Yeah, more than likely.  But this will be the last Duc for me for a number of reasons, which I won't repeat again.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:49:25 AM by hillbillypolack » Logged
drvslow

« Reply #2215 on: January 15, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »

Did my convertor work correctly- these tanks are around $2300 US?  Thinking I could purchase a few plastic tanks and coat them for that.  Or buy a large fuel tank for the back of the truck and deliver ethanol free gas to refuel locations along my route. 
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #2216 on: January 15, 2012, 07:03:44 AM »

Have you priced a plastic tank?!?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2217 on: January 15, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »

Have you priced a plastic tank?!?
Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #2218 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »

Maybe they will make a proper one for you-aren't they made to order?
I emailed them inquiring about the S4Rs tank. We'll see

2007 red S4Rs
HotIce

« Reply #2219 on: January 16, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »

Hope?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/01/end-of-ethanol-subsidy-could-raise-gas-prices-for-2012/1
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: