Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 19, 2024, 12:59:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 664782 times)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2775 on: November 19, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

My recommendation- get the oil cooler or consider purchasing a water cooled machine if you plan on longer rides in the heat, and I've heard the Aussie sun can be ferocious.
His issue has little to do with engine heat. It's the flapper valve under the seat which gets hot. Cooling the engine would do little if anything to address this. Swapping out the flapper valve for a 696 mid pipe might help, but ungeheuer or Raux might be able to confirm. I don't notice it much under ~ 85 F / 30 C ambient temp. Above 90 F / 33 C, you feel it. The kind of pants or leathers you wear will also have an impact. (I don't ride in jeans. Wink)

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #2776 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »

Swapping out the flapper valve for a 696 mid pipe might help, but ungeheuer or Raux might be able to confirm.
I got nothing to say about that here.  Here's about plastic tanks  Wink

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
NAKID

« Reply #2777 on: November 20, 2013, 08:08:53 AM »

OK, so the tank swap went well. Interestingly though, the tank wouldn't close properly with my PCIII installed in the same place it has been for 5 years now. Not a major issue since there's additional room now due to the Shorai.

So the tank looks good. The caswell coating is a noticable layer of clear coating on the inside of the tank.
The dealership dropped a little fuel in it and I headed to the gas station. They also installed a new fuel filter in it while I was there, the original filter had about 18.5K miles on it.

Everything seemed fine until I was on my way back to work this morning. My fuel light came on at 123 miles. I usually get about 135 before it comes on. I'll fill up again today and see if I notice a difference again. Could it be that there was just some air in the tank since it's new?

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2778 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »

OK, so the tank swap went well. Interestingly though, the tank wouldn't close properly with my PCIII installed in the same place it has been for 5 years now. Not a major issue since there's additional room now due to the Shorai.

So the tank looks good. The caswell coating is a noticable layer of clear coating on the inside of the tank.
The dealership dropped a little fuel in it and I headed to the gas station. They also installed a new fuel filter in it while I was there, the original filter had about 18.5K miles on it.

Everything seemed fine until I was on my way back to work this morning. My fuel light came on at 123 miles. I usually get about 135 before it comes on. I'll fill up again today and see if I notice a difference again. Could it be that there was just some air in the tank since it's new?
The volume of a complete kit is 1.5 quarts...

do the math. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2779 on: November 20, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »

do the math. Wink

Of which is about 70% VOCs

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2780 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

Of which is about 70% VOCs
I never read the label with regards to solids content, but that seem really high for that type of epoxy. Undecided

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

NAKID

« Reply #2781 on: November 20, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »

I figured the amount of tank swell would have been about the same volume. I certainly didn't expect to lose capacity...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2782 on: November 20, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »

I never read the label with regards to solids content, but that seem really high for that type of epoxy. Undecided

Actually I was exaggerating and now that I think about it, its probably pretty low.  The epoxy they use is available for industrial coatings in a non liquid form which has a 0% voc.  I assume they add reducer but I dont know how much.

In the tank that I did testing with the coating cured at about 1mm thick in most places.  Thicker in tbe corners.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NAKID

« Reply #2783 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »

Well, it seems I have lost a pretty decent amount of available volume. I filled up as much as I could today after the fuel light being on for 10 miles. Normally I would put in just over 3 gallons with that distance. This time, 2.85 :-(
Not happy about the loss of capacity. I was already pushing close to my daily commute limit. I dont want to have to get gas twice a day...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2784 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

Well, it seems I have lost a pretty decent amount of available volume. I filled up as much as I could today after the fuel light being on for 10 miles. Normally I would put in just over 3 gallons with that distance. This time, 2.85 :-(
Not happy about the loss of capacity. I was already pushing close to my daily commute limit. I dont want to have to get gas twice a day...
I noticed the same phenomenon with my recently coated tank; I ran completely out of fuel last Saturday, and I was only able to squeeze in about 3.2 gallons. My fuel light quit working so I go by mileage. Dam!  bang head I was sure I had enough fuel to go 10 more miles. Luckily I was only a mile from home and my wife was able to deliver some fuel to me.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2785 on: November 21, 2013, 06:47:52 AM »

do the math. Wink

It's about a quart, really.  The large can is just over 2/3 full and the small can is full.  After mixing, you lose some unless it is reduced very thin.  I usually add about an oz of xylene which gets most of it, but I still have about a 4x4x0.5 inch left over. 

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2786 on: November 21, 2013, 07:36:55 AM »

It's about a quart, really.  The large can is just over 2/3 full and the small can is full.  After mixing, you lose some unless it is reduced very thin.  I usually add about an oz of xylene which gets most of it, but I still have about a 4x4x0.5 inch left over. 
My point was the material will reduce the volume of the tank.

To be conservative figure .8 qts for a complete kit.

That translates to .2 gallons. If you estimate 45 mpg that would account for a reduction of about 10 miles/tank, which is what Chris experienced.

Simple multiplication. Grin

perspective

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2787 on: November 21, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »

Yeah, I know.  It's unfortunate that the coating is necessary but that's what we're left with if one has a plastic tank.

NAKID

« Reply #2788 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »

Yeah, I understand that completely, but this now makes my daily commute an exercise in restraint so I can have enough fule to make it to work and back without filling up more than once.
FYI, I'm averaging between 49-51mpg...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Jim H

« Reply #2789 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »

Morning everybody,

I updated my post last night (page 185 of this thread). The post was originally intended to be universal, meaning it applies to all other bikes affected as well as the Superduke so please feel free to take a look. I have duplicated correspondence with NHTSA & VOSA for your information. Not as many links to click this time, some of the areas covered refer to epoxy coating & preparation but it also delves a little deeper. I couldn't sympathise with you guys more now that Ducati seem to be pulling a complete U-turn on choice of tank material but once everything in the post is taken into account I hope you'll see where I'm coming from.

Thank you Ducatiz for the positive response. I'm on your side and I haven't held back this time. From what I've been reading I'm sure the Ducati fraternity have received a pretty poor deal. Who know's, maybe things can still be improved.

Fingers crossed,

Thanks

Jim
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: