Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 04:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 705220 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2415 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:21 AM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54297.msg1004734#msg1004734

That thread is pretty good.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

K3V1N

« Reply #2416 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »

OK, I'm back with one more question to make this thread even longer Smiley

I called the dealer to setup a appointment to get the tank swapped and pick up the new one to coat it. The person I spoke to said that if I coat the tank and it ever expands again it will not be replaced. Because coating it voids the warranty.

Now I'm back on the fence to coat it our just use some kind of additive reduce the moisture in the tank.

Has anyone heard the warranty issue before?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2417 on: May 15, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »

OK, I'm back with one more question to make this thread even longer Smiley

I called the dealer to setup a appointment to get the tank swapped and pick up the new one to coat it. The person I spoke to said that if I coat the tank and it ever expands again it will not be replaced. Because coating it voids the warranty.

Now I'm back on the fence to coat it our just use some kind of additive reduce the moisture in the tank.

IF the coating fails AND it is directly related to some kind of tank failure then it would void the warranty, but that is an issue of proof under the law.

Let's say your engine blows and you have a coated tank.  Voided warranty?  Not likely.  The fuel pump and filter would pick up any material.

In fact, I can think of nothing outside of the tank itself that the coating could affect even if it failed miserably -- and the tank failure would be limited to an expanding tank, which you already have.

Most service/dealer people know warranty law slightly worse than I know how to pilot the space shuttle.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
dlowenst

« Reply #2418 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »

My dealer told me the same thing.  I followed the same logic Ducatiz just outlined, and in addition considered the fact that I'm unlikely to get another shot at the (replacement tank) apple anyway, since my bike is a 2006 MY and will very shortly be outside the scope of the settlement.  Also, if the coated replacement tank does expand also, and I take it to a different dealer, I think it's questionable whether they could determine that it was coated (or would care, when filing the claim with Ducati).  So taking all of the above into account, I got my new tank coated before reinstalling and filling it with fuel the first time, despite the warning from my dealer.

Dave

Dave in DC: 67 Jaguar E-Type OTS S1/71 Ford F-100 Styleside/79 Triumph T140E Bonneville/15 BMW R1200GS/13 KTM 300 XC-W/04 Yamaha TT-R250/04 & 05 Honda CRF 250X/Keeping parts guys in business nationwide
K3V1N

« Reply #2419 on: May 15, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »

Thanks, After reading these two post I agree and plan on coating it. You guys are right it isn't likely I would get another tank for a 07 S2R so I should coat it AND use a additive to control moisture to keep it from swelling as long as I can.
surgfish

« Reply #2420 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »

Just got my monster 795, I took it out for a spin. After an hour, it overheated, then I heard popping sounds, I was surprised it was the tank.  I hurried home and while parked, I literally saw the whole tank popped off
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2421 on: May 15, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

Just got my monster 795, I took it out for a spin. After an hour, it overheated, then I heard popping sounds, I was surprised it was the tank.  I hurried home and while parked, I literally saw the whole tank popped off

the whole tank popped off???

what does that mean?

the M795 is an Asian market bike, I've never seen one in person..  but it has the same tank as the 696 i think
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:45:03 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #2422 on: May 16, 2012, 03:36:37 AM »

Huh?

2007 red S4Rs
Pedro-bot

« Reply #2423 on: May 16, 2012, 03:56:02 AM »

Pics.

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
El-Twin

« Reply #2424 on: May 16, 2012, 06:03:20 AM »

Gimme a break....   Huh?

If you would have kept watching, maybe it would have performed some more tricks for you. Like the trellis-samba rubber-down twist.

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
SteveO.

« Reply #2425 on: May 16, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »

ding ding ding...

So a 2011 796 shouldn't be an issue with the tank expanding?  I'm not that familiar with the bike yet, but I haven't seen anything unusual with it, other than a new noise that's driving me nuts.  bang head
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2426 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »

So a 2011 796 shouldn't be an issue with the tank expanding?  I'm not that familiar with the bike yet, but I haven't seen anything unusual with it, other than a new noise that's driving me nuts.  bang head

AFAIK, the 796 tank is a PA6 tank and will deform.  The 796 has a covered tank though so you may never see it.

SteveO.

« Reply #2427 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »

AFAIK, the 796 tank is a PA6 tank and will deform.  The 796 has a covered tank though so you may never see it.

So should I be concerned about it, if it'll never be noticable?  Thanks for the info, I'm a noob trying to learn more about my new bike. ...Steve
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2428 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

So should I be concerned about it, if it'll never be noticable?  Thanks for the info, I'm a noob trying to learn more about my new bike. ...Steve

Some folks have reported the panels being pushed out but I think that's the exception.  A little bit of preventive medicine (i.e. draining the tank when in storage) goes a long way to keeping the tank from absorbing water etc.

El-Twin

« Reply #2429 on: May 16, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »

Some folks have reported the panels being pushed out but I think that's the exception.  A little bit of preventive medicine (i.e. draining the tank when in storage) goes a long way to keeping the tank from absorbing water etc.

If you top-up after every ride, thereby reducing the surface area of fuel exposed to the air, will this help to mitigate absorption?

This has been my running assumption, but I've been wrong before.

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: