Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 31, 2024, 10:29:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 699668 times)
Frisco

« Reply #2475 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »

Thanks for the offer. I'm all the way in California. I'll look around the local hardware shops I guess.

probably banned in Cali as unsafe  Grin

2007 S4RS
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #2476 on: June 09, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »

Just talked to my dealer. They have had no tanks returned at all for the newer Monsters yet. Whether that is because they are under the skins is still an unknown. For what it's worth, he states that "it has been fixed at Ducati."

Thay do recommend Star Tron, though, for general use.

I've had my M1100 EVO for about a year now and 7,300 miles with no discernible swelling that I've noticed.  Although, if it increases the volume of the tank I'd probably be fine with that.   laughingdp

Seriously though, I had the panels off today and the tank shows no signs of swelling at all.  Panels all still line up as they should.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2477 on: June 09, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

I've had my M1100 EVO for about a year now and 7,300 miles with no discernible swelling that I've noticed.  Although, if it increases the volume of the tank I'd probably be fine with that.   laughingdp

Seriously though, I had the panels off today and the tank shows no signs of swelling at all.  Panels all still line up as they should.

where do you live and do you use pure gas?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #2478 on: June 10, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »

where do you live and do you use pure gas?

San Diego, and I just use premium pump gas. 

poseur

« Reply #2479 on: July 09, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »

San Diego, and I just use premium pump gas. 

Why premium???  popcorn
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2480 on: July 10, 2012, 07:30:54 AM »

Why premium???  popcorn

Because chicks dig it.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #2481 on: July 11, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »

Why premium???  popcorn

Because that's what the owners manual says to run in it?   Dolph

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2482 on: July 11, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »

[singing] do ron ron ron do ron ron

My owner's handbook says to use fuel with an octane rating of 95 RON, which in American gasoline is upwards of 10 octane points lower.

If you're in America, no need to put premium fuel in the tank of your Monster.

SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #2483 on: July 11, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

[singing] do ron ron ron do ron ron

My owner's handbook says to use fuel with an octane rating of 95 RON, which in American gasoline is upwards of 10 octane points lower.

If you're in America, no need to put premium fuel in the tank of your Monster.

Meh, it's an extra $35 over the course of 1 year...    Wink

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2484 on: July 11, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »

Meh, it's an extra $35 over the course of 1 year...    Wink

Does the $35 cover fouled plugs and excessive carbon build up?
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2485 on: July 11, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »

ducpainter is always singing the same song, and while this may indeed be true of the older 2-valve bikes with ~ 9.x:1, the newer Siemens bikes with 11.x:1 specifically call for "a minimum of 98 octane", which is ~ 91+ in NAS pump gas (AKI rating) terms.

Since these Siemens bikes are running essentially a car EFi system but without knock sensors to retard the timing, no way I'd consider running less than 91 (M+R/2) in my 796.

Consider other variables as well vs your proven experience. I'm running pure gas 93 in a rural area blend. Possibly most people experiencing the carbon build-up you noted are running E-10 and urban blends? Currently there are something like 150+ blends sold in the U.S., so is it really wise to make sweeping generalizations?

Incidentally, and "old school" I realize, but none of my Dellorto bikes and my 851 which were all tuned on the rich side, ever had excessive carbon or anything other than a light tan porcelain tip and the rest free of deposits. No carbon on the intakes either, and that was running mainly Sunoco 94 or even straight CAM II.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2486 on: July 12, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »

ducpainter is always singing the same song, and while this may indeed be true of the older 2-valve bikes with ~ 9.x:1, the newer Siemens bikes with 11.x:1 specifically call for "a minimum of 98 octane", which is ~ 91+ in NAS pump gas (AKI rating) terms.

Since these Siemens bikes are running essentially a car EFi system but without knock sensors to retard the timing, no way I'd consider running less than 91 (M+R/2) in my 796.

Consider other variables as well vs your proven experience. I'm running pure gas 93 in a rural area blend. Possibly most people experiencing the carbon build-up you noted are running E-10 and urban blends? Currently there are something like 150+ blends sold in the U.S., so is it really wise to make sweeping generalizations?

Incidentally, and "old school" I realize, but none of my Dellorto bikes and my 851 which were all tuned on the rich side, ever had excessive carbon or anything other than a light tan porcelain tip and the rest free of deposits. No carbon on the intakes either, and that was running mainly Sunoco 94 or even straight CAM II.
...and I'll continue singing it.

Did you ever solve your cold running issue?

Did you even try lower octane fuel? I didn't think so. Until you do, and experience pinging, I'm going to maintain you're wrong.

The carbon problem from high octane fuels has been around far longer than E-10. That isn't the issue.

High octane fuels are designed to be more difficult to burn and create the carbon build up in street engines that don't see the kind of service that might require the anti detonation properties of high octane.

The fact you haven't experienced carbon build up doesn't make high octane fuel the correct choice. It also doesn't mean you won't

Remember...manuals and the recommendations in them are only released after being approved by lawyers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:24:55 AM by ducpainter » Logged

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2487 on: July 12, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »

Did you ever solve your cold running issue?

Did you even try lower octane fuel? I didn't think so. Until you do, and experience pinging, I'm going to maintain you're wrong.

I agree - compression ratio alone (9.5:1, 13.1:1, etc) isn't the whole story - there's also ignition advance and valve timing that create higher pressures.

High octane fuels are designed to be more difficult to burn and create the carbon build up in street engines that don't see the kind of service that might require the anti detonation properties of high octane.
Not sure I'd say "harder to burn" but rather "designed to ignite at higher temperature / pressure"

Remember...manuals and the recommendations in them are only released after being approved by lawyers.
coffee   $$$    Grin

On a serious note - its done that way to manage/mitigate risks:  If there are risks that the bike may encounter predetonation with some fuel blends when encountering a variety of other conditions (temperature, DP performance catalog accessories, altitude, regularity of bowels, fuel manufacturer, etc), its less risky to advise everybody to use a fuel that eliminates this possibility than chance it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:17:09 AM by junior varsity » Logged

SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #2488 on: July 12, 2012, 07:35:47 AM »

Well, with the small size of my tank and the amount of fuel that could be contained in the 3 in 1 hoses at most pumps I'd bet I've been putting in a fair bit of regular and mid-grade unleaded in my bike anyway.

I'm dropping my bike off tonight for the first valve adjustment so I'll ask the mechanic there what he recommends I run.

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #2489 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »

LOL!   applause

The fact is, back when I used premium my bike ran like crap.  It got to the point that it wouldn't run at all because the plugs were fouled so much.  This is a problem that has not returned since I began burning regular gas.

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: