Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:41:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695259 times)
wengr

« Reply #2685 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:55 AM »

>>>There is a process they are following.  The bracket is done first to see if the tank's expansion is below a certain amount.  If the tank expands beyond that, they will replace the tank, with a slightly smaller one>>>

Should this be taken to mean that the replacement tanks are not new? I did not know that. What's the cosmetic condition of these replacements?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2686 on: May 01, 2013, 06:44:54 AM »

>>>There is a process they are following.  The bracket is done first to see if the tank's expansion is below a certain amount.  If the tank expands beyond that, they will replace the tank, with a slightly smaller one>>>

Should this be taken to mean that the replacement tanks are not new? I did not know that. What's the cosmetic condition of these replacements?

No it means the new tanks are the same material.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
1stduc

« Reply #2687 on: May 02, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »

The newer models have a fuel cell behind the tank covers, what you see is not a tank but a cover. The fuel cell underneath that cover can expnd, distort etc... and it is designed not to affect the cover. That is the engineering and the theory and as far as I know no one with a new monster has reported a problem with this new design. -  Gene

Thanks I was going to ask the same question.
jsanford

« Reply #2688 on: May 21, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »

i'm getting the replacement tank coated before it's even installed on the bike.  The dealer set up a partnership with a local outfit.

I want my Monster to be a running heirloom to leave to my neice some day, and with E15 on the horizon this seems like the only way to go. 

'08 695 - Seattle
scduc

« Reply #2689 on: May 23, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »

Just had the new hardware installed. Guess they didn't think the tank was too bad. So now we have 2 months left and we are on our own.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2690 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »

Just had the new hardware installed. Guess they didn't think the tank was too bad. So now we have 2 months left and we are on our own.
It's a pretty reasonable approach... if giving you another tank just like yours doesn't work, new hardware and (if necessary) a shorter seat.

~shrug~

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
scduc

« Reply #2691 on: May 25, 2013, 06:59:41 AM »

The only grip I have with that, is the tank does have some distortion, not terible but some. now, with the time limit for replacements, I really doubt I will be able to get a new tank. which means I either will have to buy a new one from Ducati or hopefully IZ will have his on the market when I no longer am able to deal with the imperfections. Or the other option is to trade it in for the 848SF.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2692 on: May 25, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »

Well, there is the option of the tank we make. But it looks different... and can't be painted. If enough folks wanted, we could do a blow molded Monster-shaped tank, but the mold isn't cheap. And I'd need a successful crowd-funding project to be motivated to make a product that competes with one I already have.

Undecided Chris
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:29:26 AM by chris » Logged

LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #2693 on: May 25, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »

How is it going with the MTS tank? I am looking at possibly getting a MTS 1000DS and the tank is an obvious concern.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #2694 on: May 25, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »

It's going well but the crowd funding part is a worry. Given how many people have been asking us for a Multi tank for years, I thought the easy part would be the crowd funding. Tongue If they get it, I'll make the blowmolding happen. If my Ticona rep sells his plastic to the plant I visited in Ohio, the tanks will be EPA/CARB legal and are paintable. This is how I would like all of our future tanks to be.

My rep at Ticona is also working with my rotational molding company to try and get it working in rotomolding. If that works, I'll be super happy, as rotomold tooling is like 1/3 the price of blowmolds. Tongue

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #2695 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »

I would buy a track style tank for an M1100!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
jsanford

« Reply #2696 on: June 04, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »

i'm getting the replacement tank coated before it's even installed on the bike.  The dealer set up a partnership with a local outfit.

I want my Monster to be a running heirloom to leave to my neice some day, and with E15 on the horizon this seems like the only way to go. 

Picked up the bike today, and it has the wrong badging on the tank.  boo Original was white, the new one has silver lettering.  Called the shop and apparently this is what Ducati is sending for all shiny black replacement tanks, and the solution is to have the clearcoating removed and white letter decals applied by a local painter.

I'm going to ponder it for a day or two.  The truth is, if I were to go to that bother I'd probably have the traditional serif'ed Ducati with the '90s-era "Monster."  Particularly as it sounds like it would be on my dime.  bang head

'08 695 - Seattle
Wedge
Wedge

« Reply #2697 on: June 08, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »

What happens when our replacement tanks deform???  I love my S2R-1000 but this is crazy.  Will Star Tron or any other ethanol treatment prevent tank damage?
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2698 on: June 08, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »

What happens when our replacement tanks deform???  I love my S2R-1000 but this is crazy.  Will Star Tron or any other ethanol treatment prevent tank damage?

The best route to take is to have the new tank coated with caswell, or something like that, before you mount it. However, if the replacement take has already had fuel in it I don't believe coating will work (someone else can check me on that).

Otherwise, I believe the result of the class action is that, after the specified time period, you're on your own. You can buy direct from DNA via your dealer or there are a couple of after-market options.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2699 on: June 08, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

You can coat it even after fueling it. It's just a matter of letting it dry out.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: